RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Louisiana Radio Discussion Forum

Louisiana Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Louisiana.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 12:48 PM

Question can someone help me.

can someone tell me if my pro-528 scanner will work with LAWIN network in Louisiana and where i can find the frequencies? thanks
Sponsored links
Old 01-30-2013, 4:52 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by scentgurl View Post
can someone tell me if my pro-528 scanner will work with LAWIN network in Louisiana and where i can find the frequencies? thanks
No it will not work. It does not cover the 700 mHz range. Take some time to explore this site and you will find the frequencies that you are looking for. But if you want to take the easy route, just follow this link: Louisiana Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
Old 01-31-2013, 9:02 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by scentgurl View Post
In addition the 528 is an analog only scanner, the LWIN system is a P25 Digital system.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:43 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by balibago View Post
The talkgroups in Terrebonne parish and for Lake Charles need to be updated as to whether they are encrypted or not. Also there is a 226xx and a 22533 in Lafayette. They are encrypted but not identified.
Several Channels in the Lake Charles area have user selectable encryption. Most of the time it is on, but can be flipped off at any time at the push of a button. I'm unsure how they want to list that in the database.
Old 03-02-2013, 9:04 AM
Careful, I CAN hear you!
Database Admin

For TG's that are not full time encrypted, we put a notation by them that encryption is used. Full time encrypted gets the lovely E!
Sponsored links
Old 03-07-2013, 9:42 PM

OPSO and State Police are already on LWIN and my HP-1 "finds" those OK. However, Monroe and West Monroe went online 2/28/2013. When will those be available on Sentinel database?

Thanks
Old 03-08-2013, 9:06 AM
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP-1NUT View Post
OPSO and State Police are already on LWIN and my HP-1 "finds" those OK. However, Monroe and West Monroe went online 2/28/2013. When will those be available on Sentinel database?
The way this works is:
  1. A local user must "discover" any new talk groups.
  2. That user then must figure out what those new talk groups are; in other words what agency and assignment that talk group belongs to
  3. The user then must submit the new information to the database
  4. A DB Admin then must take that submission and enter it into the database
  5. Then Uniden will pick up the new data and include it in the next update to the HP-1 database
So, if you know the TGs, then it is up to you. If you don't then you will have to either discover them or rely on someone else to find them for you.
Old 03-14-2013, 1:52 PM

This past Monday morning I was monitoring the Berwick site when I heard Franklin PD and Franklin FD on 700 all over the area of Franklin doing radio checks including inside the different floors and the basement of the courthouse. There were also some LWIN radio techs using two different ID's other than the PD and FD ID's doing the same thing running radio checks in different areas of the city. Neither PD or FD regularly use 700, they both still use VHF. Franklin PD is the only law enforcement agency in St. Mary parish not on 700. When the radio techs were getting radio checks from another tech they were also referring to a trailer and the number 96 reading on their radio. Later that night I searched for any new sites in the area and found site 196 (cc 769.1437). Franklin PD stayed on 700 all that night until midday Tuesday. At that point the PD disappeared and went back to VHF where they have been since and site 196 was no longer able to be monitored. I have searched for the signal and cannot no longer hear it. Is it easy to assume the reason Franklin PD is not on 700 is because it is a dead area and is it possible they are were using a temporary site checking signal strength maybe trying to decide if a new site will be built in that area?
Old 03-14-2013, 6:24 PM
Careful, I CAN hear you!
Database Admin

196, is an SOW (Site On Wheels), an temporary towed site. If they were doing range testing for PD, and FD, and LWIN Techies were all in on it, that is a good sign that quite possible soon a new site will go up in that area to fill in gaps in coverage. The usage of a SOW only for a short time and doing range testing everywhere is the key point in selling the site on the locals. Show em you can garuntee excellent coverage everywhere they would ever need it, and its a lot better on the mind when time to jump in comes.

With the soon to happen rezoning of LWIN... (Again), this suggests that there are new sites etc in the works.
Sponsored links
Old 03-15-2013, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milf View Post
196, is an SOW (Site On Wheels), an temporary towed site. If they were doing range testing for PD, and FD, and LWIN Techies were all in on it, that is a good sign that quite possible soon a new site will go up in that area to fill in gaps in coverage. The usage of a SOW only for a short time and doing range testing everywhere is the key point in selling the site on the locals. Show em you can garuntee excellent coverage everywhere they would ever need it, and its a lot better on the mind when time to jump in comes.

With the soon to happen rezoning of LWIN... (Again), this suggests that there are new sites etc in the works.
Monroe PD appears to be 100% LWIN as they are not broadcasting on any of their old freqs and the HP-1 found 3 on LWIN. West Monroe PD is silent (at least to me).

Is there a place on here to post a sell of 10 analog Uniden scanners?
Old 03-15-2013, 5:46 PM

Heard Franklin FD today talking on 700 mentioning to another person that they are planning on building a site nearby that they were using a temporary site for a day near the courthouse to see if it would increase coverage before they add a new site. He told the other person that they could not leave the temporary site there until the new one is built because it would cost $1200 a day to operate it. My question is how long before we would probably see a new site built. Is it something they do pretty quick or does it take long process before it is operational.
Old 03-15-2013, 9:29 PM
Careful, I CAN hear you!
Database Admin

New sites take anywhere from a couple of months to over a year depending on several things:
EPA approval
FAA Clearance
FCC Approval/Licensing
State Comms Commission Approval
Site Location Finalization
Contract Approvals for: Site Prep, Shed Construction, Tower Construction, Electronics/Electrical Install
Installation of the Repeater, Antennas, Microwave Linkage.
Then the 3 phases of bringing it fully online.

OH and thats not factoring in another huge one: WEATHER!

Last edited by milf; 03-15-2013 at 9:33 PM..
Old 03-15-2013, 9:32 PM
Careful, I CAN hear you!
Database Admin

There is indeed an forum for sales, auctions, trades, buys etc.
See here:
Classifieds - The RadioReference.com Forums
Old 03-15-2013, 10:37 PM
Careful, I CAN hear you!
Database Admin

And I forgot another possible factor in adding new sites:

Number of sites already on a Zone Controller.
If the Zone that the new Site would be in is maxed out, they would iether have to do some fancy routing to another Zone, or if that isn't feasable, add a new ZC which would open the door for large scale expansion. And this again is all tied to that new rezoning etc that LWIN is going to go through. Means a lot of redoing sites/zones in the db, but thats what we do. Not sure if they have a version of the OmniLink for Motorola ASTRO-25 systems or not, but if they do, then systems like the LWIN, AWIN, MSWIN, will be prime candidates for that before too long.
Old 03-17-2013, 9:08 AM

I am really looking foward to welcoming Franklin Pd. to the LWIN system.
Sponsored links
Old 03-20-2013, 8:43 AM

Has Thibodaux Fire Dept. switched to LWIN completely. I just heard them on 700 responding to a call. I had not realized they made the switch. Also has Schriever FD made the switch yet?
Old 03-20-2013, 12:20 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Wirelessly posted (I phone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B146 Safari/8536.25)

Thibodaux fire switched to lwin a few months back when lightning knocked out their repeater...i dont know if this is permanent or not.......also heard saint james sheriff normal traffic on lwin going home yesterday and heard them on the way to work this a.m.....i dont hear a cc on their 800 aystem
Old 03-22-2013, 3:16 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

St. James system is completely down for upgrade, all SO and FD has switched to LWIN temporarily.
They'll be some changes when the system comes back up, St. James, Ascension, and St. John will be one big system.
Old 03-22-2013, 5:36 PM
Careful, I CAN hear you!
Database Admin

TY for the heads up! A new Regional TRS from the bones of those 3. Anyone in area with a scanner, that can confirm SysID's and Site #'s etc or can run Unitrunker or the like, once merger is done, please submit as much info as you can. TY in advance.
Old 03-22-2013, 6:29 PM

Any idea if they will all be encrypted, beings Ascension is now?

Tags
jpso, latie, louisiana, lwin, nopd, sticky