Need information on a new scanner for LAWIN network

Status
Not open for further replies.

russellmaher

KC1ANC
LWIN is an APCO 25 digital trunking system, so the PRO-197 will be able to receive it.

I suggest you post your question in the Louisiana forums and try to get some responses from the members in that area, some of which may be using the PRO-197 and can give you more detailed responses.

Hope this helps....

Russell

Phreakin318

LWIN is an APCO 25 digital trunking system, so the PRO-197 will be able to receive it.

I suggest you post your question in the Louisiana forums and try to get some responses from the members in that area, some of which may be using the PRO-197 and can give you more detailed responses.

Hope this helps....

Russell

thanks very much for the response, thats good to hear cause i was not looking forward to comeing up with the cash for that uniden that had like 25000 channel capacity was like $445 on amazon. thanks much for your time and response.

AC0RV

Feed Provider
When I am in the Bogalusa,La. I used the Uniden 396XT Scanner, It works great both of the LWIN, Any trunk systems and conventional systems that I have programmed along the away from Missouri.

Phreakin318

RadioShack PRO-163 Desktop/Mobile Scanner (Refurbished) : Scanners | RadioShack.com

is this digital or analog? or will it work on LWIN system? i have a uniden bc95xlt handheld and it just does not pick up much other than ems and ham radio i think because its a analog scanner. i am trying to go the cheapest route to hear state police and others on LWIN .also i am not very familiar with trunking other than what all i have read.

charlie12

RadioShack PRO-163 Desktop/Mobile Scanner (Refurbished) : Scanners | RadioShack.com

is this digital or analog? or will it work on LWIN system? i have a uniden bc95xlt handheld and it just does not pick up much other than ems and ham radio i think because its a analog scanner. i am trying to go the cheapest route to hear state police and others on LWIN .also i am not very familiar with trunking other than what all i have read.

The Pro-163 won't do you any good if you want to listen to the LWIN 700mhz P25 system it doesn't do that.

I have a Pro-106 that I use for LWIN. I live in East Baton Rouge Parish probably 95% of the stuff I listen to is on LWIN.

Phreakin318

n5ims

The RS scanners you'll need are the Pro 106 (handheld), Pro 197 (base/mobile), or Pro 18 (handheld with RR database on SD card). Although the Pro 96 and Pro 2096 are both digital scanners, they will not trunktrack in the 700 MHz band so they won't work on the LWIN system.

The similar GRE models should also work well on LWIN. These are the PSR 500 (handheld), the PSR 600 (base/mobile), or PSR 800 (handheld with RR database on SD card - a superset of the features on the RS Pro-18 so it's generally a better scanner for about the same money). Although the PSR 800 and Pro 18 are somewhat different, the other models are quite similar feature wise comparing the RS and GRE versions. The RS handheld and GRE handheld look fairly different since the speaker is mounted differently, but otherwise they're the same animal inside (save the firmware that says GRE on one and RS on the other).

One other thing to think about though is that Ruston PD used Voice Inversion (a very simple encryption method) on their old frequency for some officers. Since their LWIN talkgroups are not yet identified (or at least not yet in the RR database) it isn't known if they'll use any encryption. If your goal is to hear them, you may want to wait until this is known since if they encrypt your scanner choice is reduced to zero since none will work on an encrypted signal. FD, EMS, and Campus groups were in the clear so they may remain so on LWIN if they move as well.

Phreakin318

The RS scanners you'll need are the Pro 106 (handheld), Pro 197 (base/mobile), or Pro 18 (handheld with RR database on SD card). Although the Pro 96 and Pro 2096 are both digital scanners, they will not trunktrack in the 700 MHz band so they won't work on the LWIN system.

The similar GRE models should also work well on LWIN. These are the PSR 500 (handheld), the PSR 600 (base/mobile), or PSR 800 (handheld with RR database on SD card - a superset of the features on the RS Pro-18 so it's generally a better scanner for about the same money). Although the PSR 800 and Pro 18 are somewhat different, the other models are quite similar feature wise comparing the RS and GRE versions. The RS handheld and GRE handheld look fairly different since the speaker is mounted differently, but otherwise they're the same animal inside (save the firmware that says GRE on one and RS on the other).

One other thing to think about though is that Ruston PD used Voice Inversion (a very simple encryption method) on their old frequency for some officers. Since their LWIN talkgroups are not yet identified (or at least not yet in the RR database) it isn't known if they'll use any encryption. If your goal is to hear them, you may want to wait until this is known since if they encrypt your scanner choice is reduced to zero since none will work on an encrypted signal. FD, EMS, and Campus groups were in the clear so they may remain so on LWIN if they move as well.

i just bought my 1st scanner awhile back a handheld bc95xlt, i think when i go into town it picks up the pd seems just fine, i have the s.o. in it as well and very very rarely hear them talk usually special events think its called. other than that i just get local repeaters and EMS.i do however seem to pick up w monroe pd and S.O. pretty good as well as grambling pd,the LA TECH pd seems to be non existant on the freqs listed here.

Phreakin318

The Pro-163 won't do you any good if you want to listen to the LWIN 700mhz P25 system it doesn't do that.

I have a Pro-106 that I use for LWIN. I live in East Baton Rouge Parish probably 95% of the stuff I listen to is on LWIN.

it shows the pro163 does recieve 700mhz on the tag from the local radioshack store

shew

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A403 Safari/8536.25)

It will receive 700 mhz .......but it wont decode the digital stuff

Phreakin318

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A403 Safari/8536.25)

It will receive 700 mhz .......but it wont decode the digital stuff

ahh ok i understand now thanks for the info i'm pretty new with scanners

Phreakin318

i think i will go ahead and order the radioshack pro-197, is there a program i can use to program all the freqs that way when i can get it can just plug it in and put them on it?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
well guess not there out of stock!! will this be a good s canner for what i need then? RadioShack PRO-96
The Pro-96 would not be a good choice. It will not trunk-track frequencies in the 700MHz range. While it is a digital scanner, it won't work for the system you need to cover, LWIN. Many of it's sites, including the one in Ruston (Lincoln County) use 700MHz frequencies.

Don't forget that GRE makes the Pro-197 for Radio Shack. The equivalent GRE model is the PSR-600. The handheld Pro-106 is also made by GRE; the equivalent is the PSR-500. GRE includes the pc interface cables with their digital scanners, and the ac adapters. Radio Shack sells the cables separately ($30-$35), and also the ac adapter for the handheld Pro-106. The GRE scanners can be found at dealers such as ScannerMaster, and Grove, as well as others, plus on Amazon. You can also find them at times in the classifieds here on RadioReference, on eBay, and elsewhere.

Software for the GRE manufactured digital scanners (which would also include the two Radio Shack models, Pro-106 & Pro-197) is covered on this Wiki page.

The current Uniden models BCD396XT & BCD996XT would also work on the LAWIN system. These can be programmed with FreeSCAN. However, the previous models, BCD396T & BCD996T would also work, and might be found, used, in the $300, possibly lower, range. FreeSCAN works for those as well.

Phreakin318

The Pro-96 would not be a good choice. It will not trunk-track frequencies in the 700MHz range. While it is a digital scanner, it won't work for the system you need to cover, LWIN. Many of it's sites, including the one in Ruston (Lincoln County) use 700MHz frequencies.

Don't forget that GRE makes the Pro-197 for Radio Shack. The equivalent GRE model is the PSR-600. The handheld Pro-106 is also made by GRE; the equivalent is the PSR-500. GRE includes the pc interface cables with their digital scanners, and the ac adapters. Radio Shack sells the cables separately ($30-$35), and also the ac adapter for the handheld Pro-106. The GRE scanners can be found at dealers such as ScannerMaster, and Grove, as well as others, plus on Amazon. You can also find them at times in the classifieds here on RadioReference, on eBay, and elsewhere.

Software for the GRE manufactured digital scanners (which would also include the two Radio Shack models, Pro-106 & Pro-197) is covered on this Wiki page.

The current Uniden models BCD396XT & BCD996XT would also work on the LAWIN system. These can be programmed with FreeSCAN. However, the previous models, BCD396T & BCD996T would also work, and might be found, used, in the $300, possibly lower, range. FreeSCAN works for those as well.

so if i find a Pro197 or the GRE equal to it then that would work fine? can someone maybe list my options thanks.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
so if i find a Pro197 or the GRE equal to it then that would work fine? can someone maybe list my options thanks.
The PSR-600 is the same scanner as the Pro-197. The only real difference is that the 600 carries a GRE brand label, and the 197 has Radio Shack's label (but it's made for them by GRE). Also, the PSR-600 comes with the pc interface cable. Radio shack charges extra for that. The cable is required for the occasional firmware update, and is also a necessity if you plan to program using software.

Don't forget that the 600 can usually be found on Amazon, as well as eBay, and the online dealers mentioned above (there are a number of others).

Status
Not open for further replies.