New Orleans area going encrypted

Status
Not open for further replies.

riccom

Upstate S.C.
Premium Subscriber
Police radio communication will fly under the radar in 2013

New Orleans, La - Radio communication of first responders will fly under the radar in 2013. A four-parish area is encrypting emergency radios. That means the public, and possibly the media, won't have be able to hear them on police scanners.

News rooms across the country monitor police scanners. Neighborhood patrols and community watch programs use them too
Police radio communication will fly under the radar in 2013 - FOX 8 WVUE New Orleans News, Weather, Sports

GrumpyGuard

Again they blame the scanner feed providers. Leave the dispatch channel clear and encrypt your special teams. In my area two departments have the ability to encrypt, but only do it if they feel it is necessary. This seems like a better way to go.
(The Times-Picayune News paper) Authorities have not made it clear whether they plan to provide the news media with a key by which they can access the encrypted system.
Seems like they would need a radio capable of accessing their system as well as the encryption key. Again someone who does not know how their technology works.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
NOLA joins Fort Worth and others who are enabling encryption, and yes, in an MTUG forum, Broadcastify and specifically the unauthorized recording and re-broadcast of radio traffic was cited as one main reason. What bothers many in public safety is the fact that these recordings and streams are done without the consent of the agency. sure, it may be legal, but ethical? Furthermore, while local scanner enthusiasts are generally welcomed by law enforcement, the general public is another story. Most cops aren't thrilled about their radio transmissions eminating from everyone's smartphone. They bring it up to their brass. It goes up the chain from there.

Keep up the streaming without permission and watch the encryption use grow! Then there won't be anything left to "broadcastify".

As far as providing a key to the news media, if the media is leasing or owns radios on the LA-TIE system, and they are so encryption enabled, than they very well could provide an encryption key for those authorized media radios. This was the case in Jacksonville, FLA until recently, when those radios were "recalled" because the police claimed they didn't have enough radios.

Last edited:

nx_2000

Premium Subscriber
I can only speak to the one NOLA TV station I work at, but we own a pair of motorola radios to scan dispatch channels. They could certainly be programmed to scan encrypted channels if the local agencies chose to reprogram them for us.

KE5TLF

Only if you already have encryption modules/options installed. Otherwise then you're looking at upwards of a $1000 per radio to do so.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
+1 on MTS2000des comments.

radioreference needs to to re-access doing feeds as it is slowly destroying the ability for the people to rightfully listen in.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Only if you already have encryption modules/options installed. Otherwise then you're looking at upwards of a $1000 per radio to do so.

Really? Last I checked, ADP software encryption (what NOLA is using) is as cheap as $10 a radio, requires no KVL (all keys are loaded in CPS or can be OTA if that option is purchased), and doesn't require adding any hardware to the radio. Just a simple Flashport upgrade.

dupree617

Premium Subscriber
NOLA joins Fort Worth and others who are enabling encryption, and yes, in an MTUG forum, Broadcastify and specifically the unauthorized recording and re-broadcast of radio traffic was cited as one main reason. What bothers many in public safety is the fact that these recordings and streams are done without the consent of the agency. sure, it may be legal, but ethical? Furthermore, while local scanner enthusiasts are generally welcomed by law enforcement, the general public is another story. Most cops aren't thrilled about their radio transmissions eminating from everyone's smartphone. They bring it up to their brass. It goes up the chain from there.

Keep up the streaming without permission and watch the encryption use grow! Then there won't be anything left to "broadcastify".

As far as providing a key to the news media, if the media is leasing or owns radios on the LA-TIE system, and they are so encryption enabled, than they very well could provide an encryption key for those authorized media radios. This was the case in Jacksonville, FLA until recently, when those radios were "recalled" because the police claimed they didn't have enough radios.

I hate to admit it, but I agree with this for the most part. I have even had a friend of mind that is a police officer state that he doesn't mind the fact I listen in on police communications all of the time. What bothers him is when there is to many people listening in. Because that usually means that the people that there trying to catch are listening to them as well. Something that they not need in there life.My two cents again. Thanks.

riccom

Upstate S.C.
Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; SGH-T759 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

kd5pck said:
I may have a Home Patrol 1 for sale if this happens.

10 bucks for the home patrol scanner lol j/k

balibago

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Where is the software to defeat this two bit encryption? It's only 40 bit. We desperately need to find a way to beat this. You can find all kinds of hacker tools on the net,recipies for manufacturing drugs, how to build a bomb etc. Yet this flimsy ADP encryption is destroying our hobby. If they are willing to spend 1000 dollars a radio for 128 bit ADP I'd say OK you win. At least somebody needs to write a detailed book on how to do it using a software defined radio or through a computer with a discriminator tap. Motorola your day is coming!

cellblock776

The problem with the "Don't worry, we'll let the media have radios to listen to" is... What Good Does That Do for the Rest of Us?
The media isn't reporting nearly half of what goes on in our neighborhoods. We listen to get an idea of what is really going on around us. The media MAY report a murder or bad wreck which shuts down the interstate. They won't report the smaller but more common occurances which give us an idea of the real time crimes which occur on our streets.
Saying "The Media Will Have Scanners" is BS. That does not help me AT ALL.

balibago

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
We have lost Terrebone,Iberia,Union and Lafayette Parishes in the past year. Next year the New Orleans area. We all know ADP has been cracked in Australia and New Zealand. This ADP is a well documented RC4 algorithim. The latest Software Defined Radios offer hope that this may be compromised as they can be made to do about anything. It's sad but the only people who will be able to monitor will be those who break the law. I give it two to four years and the whole state will be silent. In this semi-police state we live in the littlest of excuses wil become "reasons" to shut us out. We NEED to crack this ADP both to stop it's spread and to liberate those who have been shut out.

riccom

Upstate S.C.
Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; SGH-T759 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Ok my point as been proven, the encryption hss been broken if I am reading this correctly, and it goes to show that:
A That a criminal will one way or another will break the code and listen
B A police department such as nopd needs to be trasnparent because it would look better on there image.

Alot would not agree on my point of view or opinion, but we will soon be like England, and have a non communitive police department, and,as arrogant as some officers are in any police departments, things will be said that once they could not say, and knew some one was listening!

JoeyC

Only a radio enthusiast/scanner nerd would be interested in breaking encryption.

Your average burglar, thief, robber/criminal has no interest in listening unless he's a radio enthusiast as well.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
+1 on MTS2000des comments.

radioreference needs to to re-access doing feeds as it is slowly destroying the ability for the people to rightfully listen in.

As long as the sheep keep paying for subscriptions (myself included in that), the feeds aren't going anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.