Brand New to scanner/radio stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChitheadDeSo

I recently purchased a scanner (Radioshack Pro-651). I kind of understand what I am doing, I have gotten it programmed to DSPD and LPSO. However I cannot seem to figure out how to get BRPD programmed with trunking capability. I input all frequencies from this site, and can hear talk on some frequencies, but on these frequencies it is not following the conversation. (With what I have researched about trunking, it seems to me that every time a mike is keyed up the system changes frequency for that person so even with talking they are still able to hear.) I am just wondering how to get the trunking system set up. Also, being very new to this I do not understand a lot of the language yet, please try and keep any help somewhat simple for me to understand. Any help is appreciated. If this is answered somewhere else let me know, I have searched through this site for a couple of days with no luck.
Thanks

charlie12

You really need programming software and cable for it. LPSO and DSPD are about the only depts still not on 700 mhz P-25.

Your scanner will do phase 1 P--25 but when they switch to phase 2 of P-25 it won't and there no telling when they might do that.

There should be something on here about programming software for it. The good ole days of cheap scanning are gone. I miss them.

ChitheadDeSo

Programming

Yea, I noticed that DSPD, LPSO, and some fire departments were still on the old way. Those were very easy to figure out how to find and program manually in. Although, after playing around on the scanner (aka trial and error) with the different numbers and all, I think I have figured it out (somewhat). I'm not sure if the way that I did it is the best way. But I am picking up the BRPD now, and it is following conversations.

What I did was set up a TGRP for many of the TAG ID on this site (ex. BRPD talk 1 TAGID 17166).

Then, I created a TSYS system on P25 Auto, I input all the frequencies for the Baton Rouge area that I could find and I set the multi-site to roam with a threshold of 1-99.

I'm not sure if this is how it supposed to work or if there is are better settings. Let me know if you think there are better settings. But I did all of this manually which really wasn't to bad about an hour and a half of programming to get about 7-8 parishes programmed and put into specific scanner channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.