• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola CDM1550LS* 450-512MHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBPD207

Premium Subscriber
I recently purchased a Motorola CDM1550LS+ 450-512MHz and Im looking for a low profile antenna and I'm having trouble finding one.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for an antenna for this unit?

Thank you!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
How low profile do you want?

1/4 wave antenna will be about 5 or 6 inches. While maybe not as short as you want, the thin whip blends i pretty well.
There are "puck" antennas that are an inch or so high.

The puck type antennas are not always great performers, but they'll work if you don't expect too much.

You can sniff around here and see if you find something you like:
https://www.tessco.com/products/displayItems.do?groupId=90270&subgroupId=91070

RBPD207

Premium Subscriber
I would really like a phantom but I don't believe they would work for this application unless I'm mistaken...

RBPD207

Premium Subscriber
How low profile do you want?

1/4 wave antenna will be about 5 or 6 inches. While maybe not as short as you want, the thin whip blends i pretty well.
There are "puck" antennas that are an inch or so high.

The puck type antennas are not always great performers, but they'll work if you don't expect too much.

You can sniff around here and see if you find something you like:
https://www.tessco.com/products/displayItems.do?groupId=90270&subgroupId=91070

I would really like the phantom but I don't believe any of them would work for my application unless I'm mistaken....

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
No reason why it won't work. If it's designed for the frequencies you need, you should be OK. Just be realistic about the performance. Low profile antennas won't work as well as a standard whip.

I used to have a CDM1250 UHF in my truck. The 1/4 wave whip is 5 inches tall, and on top of a full size vehicle, it's hard to see.

RBPD207

Premium Subscriber
No reason why it won't work. If it's designed for the frequencies you need, you should be OK. Just be realistic about the performance. Low profile antennas won't work as well as a standard whip.

I used to have a CDM1250 UHF in my truck. The 1/4 wave whip is 5 inches tall, and on top of a full size vehicle, it's hard to see.

https://www.tessco.com/products/displayProductInfo.do?sku=87818&eventPage=2

How much performance do you think I would lose if I used this type of antenna?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
How much performance you lose depends on what you are comparing it too. The basic comparison is usually to a 1/4 wave antenna. They usually claim similar performance to a 1/4 wave, but you'll likely see less. These are physically shorter than a 1/4 wave, so they won't work as well. The more "low profile" they are, the less well they will work. There isn't any magic that goes into antennas, it's all dictated by physics.

If you are really on the edge of the system coverage, this antenna is probably not a good choice. They are a "compromise" antenna. You are trading some performance for lower profile. A 1/4 wave antenna is going to be really cheap, like $10. They blend in well, with most vehicles. I'd recommend starting with the $10 quarter wave antenna and see how it works. If the performance is satisfactory, then you could try the lower profile antenna. If the performance of the 1/4 wave isn't up to what you need, then you'll know it's not a good idea. Either way, you'll only be out $10.

RBPD207

Premium Subscriber
How much performance you lose depends on what you are comparing it too. The basic comparison is usually to a 1/4 wave antenna. They usually claim similar performance to a 1/4 wave, but you'll likely see less. These are physically shorter than a 1/4 wave, so they won't work as well. The more "low profile" they are, the less well they will work. There isn't any magic that goes into antennas, it's all dictated by physics.

If you are really on the edge of the system coverage, this antenna is probably not a good choice. They are a "compromise" antenna. You are trading some performance for lower profile. A 1/4 wave antenna is going to be really cheap, like $10. They blend in well, with most vehicles. I'd recommend starting with the $10 quarter wave antenna and see how it works. If the performance is satisfactory, then you could try the lower profile antenna. If the performance of the 1/4 wave isn't up to what you need, then you'll know it's not a good idea. Either way, you'll only be out $10.

Any links for the antenna you're talking about?

RBPD207

Premium Subscriber

https://www.tessco.com/products/displayProductInfo.do?sku=87818&eventPage=1

I think this is the one I want but can't seem to find the "Motorola style mount"

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Status
Not open for further replies.