MSCommNet Project 25 TRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
The state of Maine, has submitted their first license application for the new Maine State Communications Network (MSCommNet), Project 25 TRS. Here the application:

FCC Application

Supporting Letter

According to the letter, there should be several more applications that are forthcoming from the state of Maine. This is going to be a really interesting system to follow, since it will be on the VHF-High band. System construction and testing should be completed by the end of 2012.

Yours truly,

Ron

94caprice9c1

I just read through the materials on the State website. Thanks for the link. I am a bit confused, but it appears that I will need to trade up to a digital scanner? Although the presentation made it sound like there was a way to listen to the digital channels with analog equipment. Am I missing something?

Thunderbolt

I just read through the materials on the State website. Thanks for the link. I am a bit confused, but it appears that I will need to trade up to a digital scanner?

Yes, you will need a scanner that can decode Project 25 digital transmissions. Since the system will use a 9600 baud data rate, you will need a modern second or third generation digital capable scanner.

Although the presentation made it sound like there was a way to listen to the digital channels with analog equipment. Am I missing something?

What they are saying, is that the new digital radios that the Maine State Police and other state agencies are purchasing, will be able to transmit and receive in digital and analog modes. This will make it easier for them to communicate with local agencies that are using older analog modulation on their local frequencies. However, the trunking aspect of the MSCommNet, will be pure P25 digital.

Yours truly,

Ron

94caprice9c1

Thanks for the info. I am thinking holding off on doing anything until they get pretty close to implementing the system. Then see what is new in the market for radios.

Thunderbolt

Thanks for the info. I am thinking holding off on doing anything until they get pretty close to implementing the system. Then see what is new in the market for radios.

That is an excellent idea. Rumors have it that GRE is planning to release two new digital scanners within the next year. I hope they will be able to decode the new Project 25, Phase II TDMA modulation scheme. However, I would not hold my breath for that feature just yet. The current digital scanners will not decode this new format. With that being said, the MSCommNet TRS will be using the latest technology, so there is a very good possibility that it will be Phase II orientated.

73s

Ron

firemanal

Believe this will be for user system testing. Will probably be more chit-chat than actual traffic.

firemanal

I just read through the materials on the State website. Thanks for the link. I am a bit confused, but it appears that I will need to trade up to a digital scanner? Although the presentation made it sound like there was a way to listen to the digital channels with analog equipment. Am I missing something?
There will be remote bases that can retransmit the digital traffic on an analog channel.

Thunderbolt

Might this bring trunking systems through out the state?

Yes. The MSCommNet TRS will be spread across the entire state. Many local communities will be invited to joint it, once it's in operation. This will affect public safety communications down the road for the foreseeable future and beyond.

73s

Ron

Pr0-164

will regular anolog trunking scanners still work or will you need to upgrade to a digital trunking scanner?

Adenosine

@thunderbolt What I'm getting from the guys going to the meetings, is this is ending up all State. No towns or County comm centers are going to be taking part in it.

@Pro-164 the system will be set up to broadcast certain channels in analog so local authorities can monitor. The tower will then receive analog, convert to digital so the local can talk to SP for example. Monitoring the analog side will hear the conversation. That's not to say all channels will be rebroadcast, just selected ones. Sofar I've heard examples of SP, Maine EMA, Forestry, and Wardens.

MSComm just had a meeting in Augusta, few days ago, we'll see what came out of that.

Last edited:

Maine45

...the system will be set up to broadcast certain channels in analog so local authorities can monitor. The tower will then receive analog, convert to digital so the local can talk to SP for example. Monitoring the analog side will hear the conversation. That's not to say all channels will be rebroadcast, just selected ones. Sofar I've heard examples of SP, Maine EMA, Forestry, and Wardens. ...

The plan as published by the state and discussed in meetings with local public safety officials is to have an analog conventional channel at each repeater site to rebroadcast that area's primary SP dispatch talkgroup only, so that local agencies can monitor. It is strictly a one-way rebroadcast and strictly of the SP dispatch traffic. (No forestry, wardens, etc. unless they are operating on the SP group).

The analog to digital conversion thing relates to vague discussion about the planned "Regionnet" interoperability channels that will be conventional repeaters that may be dual analog/digital capable. The plan for these was to have one or two Regionnets per repeater site. These would become the primary means for local and state units to communicate with each other. Sort of an expansion of the present Region Net system, but also to allow for fire/ems/ema use, not strictly law enforcement. Statewide C/C, State Fire, CONOPS channels would all still be available to state units as well.

The basic digital, trunking part of the system has been planned from the beginning as a system for use by state agencies only, though it would seem to be expandable in the future. There has been some political critiscism concerning the non-availability to county or local agencies, but it is very late in the process now to make significant changes.

The primary issue now is licensing. Most of the applications for frquencies for the system have been returned by the FCC (line A issues?), For the Regionnets and even the one-way SP channels to be employed at all by local agencies, the frequency/tone info will need to be conveyed very soon to local agencies so that these channels may be incorporated into the reprogramming all agencies are planning for narrow band compliance.

More info at Scan New England: MSCOMMNET Maine State Communications Network - Scan New England Wiki

BillW1

This is good planning. It has been in the works now for a few years . Every agency who is on VHF and UHF will need to get new radios by 2013 if they currently can't be re programed for the new narrow band mandate change by the FCC. Here we go again.

Starcom21

IL /MO/Global DB Adm!n
Database Admin
Maine Requests Railroad VHF Spectrum for Public-Safety Network (1/23/12)
The FCC is asking for comment on 18 applications filed by the state of Maine seeking authority to operate trunked private LMR facilities on the 160 MHz band, exclusively coordinated by the Association of American Railroads (AAR). Maine filed the waiver request Dec. 2 in connection with these applications seeking a waiver of Sections 90.33 (eligibility requirements) and 90.35(b)(2)(iv) (coordinator requirements) of the FCC’s rules to operate on the channels.

In its waiver request, Maine said its existing two-way mobile radio systems are “outdated, difficult to maintain and no longer adequate to serve respective departments’ critical needs.” Consequently, Maine plans to consolidate all of its agency radio systems into a new narrowband VHF trunked Project 25 (P25) radio system.

Maine said that the VHF band (150 – 170 MHz) is the only viable frequency band for its statewide radio network because of radio engineering considerations, geography, cost and interoperability needs. Maine also notes that most local public-safety agencies in the state rely primarily on VHF radio communications.

The new consolidated radio system will require 342 VHF frequencies distributed across 40 sites, including 151 trunked pairs (302 frequencies) and 40 simplex channels, the state said. The waiver request said the state sought to maximize the use of public-safety pool frequencies to meet these requirements, but it will still need access to non-public safety frequencies, including the identified railroad frequencies.

According to the filing, AAR indicated it would oppose any request to coordinate the frequencies for public-safety use. Maine said AAR’s rejection of its request “is grossly inadequate” and alleges that AAR made no effort to coordinate Maine’s applications or verify the interference potential of Maine’s proposed use of the frequencies.

Maine said that its proposed use of railroad frequencies would not significantly impact future frequency availability for railroads in or near Maine because the state has “very limited railroad service within its borders and none of the large (Class I) railroads currently operate track within the state.”

In particular, the FCC is seeking comment from any parties that would be impacted by Maine’s use of these frequencies. The commission is also asking to what extent the frequencies are used by railroads within or near the state of Maine and whether there are railroad lines within the state that may seek access to these frequencies in the future. The commission also asked whether there are alternative VHF frequencies available to Maine.

Some of the applications submitted by Maine seek authorization for sites located above Line A. These applications can only be granted upon successful coordination with Canada, regardless of our decision on the Maine waiver request.

Interested parties must file comments by Feb. 13, and reply comments are due Feb. 23.

dick122

Meeting

Anyone going???

REMINDER about the upcoming MSCommNet Outreach sessions

ü Anyone may sign up in advance …
OIT - Enterprise Services & Rates - Radio - MSCommNet - Outreach - Sign-up Form

ü Or, just show up at the door. Everyone is welcome.

Agenda Abstract

· MSCommNet Communications Unification and Modernization project

o cooperation with other radio upgrade projects

o project status report

o preview of new State of Maine mobile and portable radios

· Interoperability with Municipal, County, Tribal, State & Federal agencies

o FCC Narrowbanding mandate

o RegionNet. Plan for continued interoperability with partners

o MSP Zone Dispatch Broadcast Service

o MSCommNet Project intentions for 2012 and 2013

§ 2012

· distribution of State narrowband mobile and portable radios

· narrowbanding of existing State repeaters

· programming of narrowbanded CONOPS frequencies into State radios

· programming of existing narrowbanded frequencies into State radios

· redistribution of State narrowband capable surplus radios through MEMA

§ 2013

· cutover of State radios to new MSCommNet system

· continuation of CONOPS frequencies

· cutover to new RegionNet frequencies

· startup of MSP Zone Dispatch Broadcast Service

Event locations: All sessions from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.

· Augusta Monday March 26th Central Maine Commerce Center (CMCC), Florian Hall

· Presque Isle Tuesday March 27th UMPI, St. John & Aroostook Room @Campus Center

· Orono Wednesday March 28th UMO, Hill Auditorium

· Portland Friday March 30th USM, University Events Room

Information and directions online at OIT Home - Radio Services - MSCommNet - Outreach Sessions

Status
Not open for further replies.