DX Cluster and the Imperious Attitude

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrissim

I'm sure many of you use the spotting networks/DX clusters. I am becoming increasingly annoyed with the little blurbs people post regarding their contacts.

The E30FB dxpedition to Eritrea is a great example. Why do people feel the need to type "easy first call" and "thanks for 5th band?" It's extremely unlikely that most of these dxpeditions have access to the internet let alone a DXcluster. I doubt anyone finds it helpful that someone has worked E3 five times on five separate bands. As an aside, it's not jealousy. I worked E3 and I won't divulge how often. My point is that the cluster shouldn't be used for the purpose of self-glorification.

It's much more helpful when split frequency worked is posted, or a signal report.

On another forum, people often post a topic concerning an upcoming dxpedition. Users log in and post just to report that they don't need said entity because they have already worked them X amount of times. WHO CARES! It's not all about you, deity of the air waves! Is it really that important to thump your chest and proclaim loudly that you have worked an entity on every band and in every mode?

I've been involved in hobbies where braggarts were part of the system, but not to this extent. The thing about it is that new ops often get ridiculed, yet when I look up the callsigns of the worst offenders, it's always some dude that's been at it for 20 + years.

Spankymedic7

Hmmm...so tell me what you really think (as I give you a nod of my head and an ever-so-slight grin).

I'm new(er) to the HF scene, and have yet to pick up on some of the lingo (I have no idea what/where E3 is, nor do I know what the "5th band" is). However, I'm sure it sounds like you're talking about what I notice on pretty much all other bands. It's a shame that we can't all just get along. There IS so much ridicule, and a separation of sorts between the "classes". It seems that, in some cases that I've observed anyway, the more "distance" there is between operators (in terms of years experience), it acts as more of a hinderance, when it should be used for the new/less experienced operators' advantage.

I think that we should all holds hands (figuratively speaking, lol) and sing "Kumbaya".

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
E3 is Eritrea, a small country in Africa bordering the Red Sea. For DXers, some DX entities are harder to make contact with than others. In fact, there are a handful of DX "most-wanted" lists out there and, on the one I linked to, Eritrea is 12th on the list.

Any amateur radio operation from a "most-wanted" DX entity is very popular with DXers. Since many of these "most-wanted" countries have little or no amateur radio operators of their own, amateur radio operators from other countries go to the "most-wanted" entities, on DXpeditions, to activate them. These operations often result in "pile-ups" of other amateur radio operators clamoring to make contact with the DX station. Sometimes, these "pile-ups" get unruly...very unruly.

For the past couple of weeks, there has been a DXpedition operating from Eritrea. They recently wrapped up operations and headed home. I know some guys who were able to work them, but, in spite of trying several times on 20m and 15m using both SSB and RTTY, I was never able to break through the "pile-up" and make contact.

Traditionally, the "5 bands" are 80m, 40m, 20m, 15m, and 10m. There are special awards for 5-Band Worked All States, meaning that you've confirmed contacts with all 50 U.S. states on all five bands (50 times 5 equals 250 contacts), and 5-Band DX Century Club, meaning you've confirmed contacts with at least 100 DX entities on all five bands (100 timex 5 equals 500 contacts). As a point of reference, I have 49 states on 20m, 47 states on 40m, and 44 states on 80m, but my counts on 15m and 10m are pretty low, so I'm a long way from 5BWAS. My DXCC counts are even lower--I might make it to DXCC, but I doubt if I'll ever get 5BDXCC.

Last edited:

Chrissim, the movie Caddyshack came to mind as I was reading your post - LOL. I have enough trouble getting through on my own, but then someone comes along with 2,000 times what I can afford to invest in ham radio and brags about how easy it was for him. Yep.

Here's another good one - Insult is added to injury when someone else uses my stuff and gets through, but I'm just not doing it. During the Clipperton DXpedition in 2009 (or 2008?), I was calling and calling and calling... then they decide to QSY so that generals could make the contact (a nice thing to do), so I go get my son, who was outside mowing the lawn. He comes in, sits down, and makes his call. The guy on the other end repeats his call and "5 and 9!" Me? Nothing. It took me three more days of trying to work them until I finally did from the station at my old job - and my son will NEVER let me hear the end of that. Every once in a while he waves the QSL card at me, too.

KB9ERU

Chrissim - I feel the same way when watching the cluster and trying to work DX.
I've definitely noticed an increase of self-glorification over the years, including people using the cluster as some kind of personal messaging tool.

Some stations even brag on the air about "working them 5 times", tying up the DX with a 5 minute conversation mostly centered around chest thumping and equipment lists. Ugh.

Anyway, congrats on catching E30FB!

N0VGL

I get your point. It just doesn't bother me like it does you guys. I tend to not use the clusters as much as I just get on a band and dial around. It's a new adventure every time. A lot like scanning when I first got into it.

W8VI

As far as the Original Post regarding "Boasting and Bragging" when someone makes a DX Spot - its been going on for more than 30 years now and I think it represents about 5% of the DX community.

My thoughts are that many of these guys get excited when they work a new country and they just need to tell someone but there friend and family don't really care and there hoping that you do.

The braggers are another story. Remember the kids in school that had such low self esteem that they had to brag about everything? Parents new car, got an A+ in math, what they got for Christmas, Graduation gifts etc. Sometimes it wasn't even true but they had to brag to get attention. Well we have em also in Ham Radio. Sad to admit that most people are still emotionally in High School.

I used to reply "Who Cares" but it didn't really stop the boasters or braggers. Once I sent "Ha Ha - Who Cares" and received a nasty email that made me really laugh.

73, Gary W8VI

chrissim

I try to be reasonable in my observations, but unfortunately it's often the worst behavior that makes the biggest impact. I've gradually drifted further away from amateur radio over the past couple of months.

I can't control the behavior of others, and it's become intolerable for me. It's all linked; the braggarts and acts committed on the air. It's nearly every rare entity that I listen to in which others are trying to work them - it's horrendous. People calling over a contact trying to get heard, tuning up on the frequency and malicious interference. A DX station calling for a specific op / call sign yet others continue calling. It's repugnant.

The DX Code of Conduct is nothing more than fanciful fiction which most do not adhere to. Some people call it competition, I call it bad behavior by those who are self entitled. They'll step on anyone just to make the contact. Social graces and courtesy play no part here.

I know many of us aren't of the despicable nature that I describe above, but it's prevalent enough to be a huge turn off.

Status
Not open for further replies.