Is 10 meters usable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blindguy

Hi all, I am studying to upgrade to a general licenase. I was wondering if there is any activity on that slim range of requencies that phone is allowed on10m for technician class operators? If so what are the best times/days and best freqs to make a QSO? Is there any activity there or do I need until I get my general ticket and move to other bands like 20 or 80 meters?
thanks
Frank

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
You have a small frequency range

in the 10 meter band for phone:
28.300-28.500 MHz: CW, Phone--Maximum power 200 watts PEP
Working the 10 meters depends largely on the propagation at the time. Similar to the CB (11 meters) band.
On the 80 meters you have:
3.525-3.600 MHz: CW Only, NO phone.
And no privileges on 20.

Last edited:

Blindguy

Thanks, is the 28.300 to 28.500 phone upper or lower side band?
thanks
Frank

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Upper sideband. The frequency range may seem small, but that's where most of the activity is. Check out this url: QSO/SWL real time maps - NA - 28

This shows real time propagation for all bands. When 10 meters is open, you can work the world. When its not, its not.

jhooten

10 meters is magic and unpredictable. It is open a lot of times when every indicator of propagation says it can't be. Since the predictions say it isn't open few operators bother to check it. I keep the repeater outputs and the simplex FM in a scanner running when I'm in the radio room. I also have a Radio Shack HTX-10 parked on 28.400 usb and occasionally make a call just to see. I have made some unexpected contacts to amazing places by doing this.

First contact on 10 was Brazil on a converted CB that showed 3 watts output. It is still my favorite band.

PrimeNumber

Hi all, I am studying to upgrade to a general licenase. I was wondering if there is any activity on that slim range of requencies that phone is allowed on10m for technician class operators? If so what are the best times/days and best freqs to make a QSO? Is there any activity there or do I need until I get my general ticket and move to other bands like 20 or 80 meters?
thanks
Frank

There is sometimes significant activity on the Technician portion of the band, and it's a lot of fun talking there. Things will get better as we go into the Fall and Winter months, and most of the 10m band openings are during the day. Although as jhooten pointed out, you never know when the band's going to open up. My first HF QSO was on 10m, on a mid-July evening. Pure dumb beginners luck. Back to the main point, it's pretty reliable on Winter days. Because the skip distance is so far, 1000+ miles, it's really a crap shoot as to who you'll be talking with, but that's a lot of fun too.

If you're interested in HF for anything more than occasionally fooling around on 10m phone or doing CW in the sub-bands rafdav spelled out, go ahead an upgrade to General. It's not that hard, you'll learn a lot in the process, and have the 80% of the bands where the traffic mostly runs open to you.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I'm a FM guy…I play on 10m FM occasionally (no privileges as a Tech). It's fun keying up a NYC 10m repeater from Lubbock, TX and talking across the pond into the UK occasionally. Then again, most 10m FM guys aren't running 100W rigs but are generally running around 50W or less.

wcu02mpa

10M FM

I am a dedicated 10M FM user. The band isn't so good now, but when it is it is addicting. Get a commercial radio like a Motorola Syntor X9000 or a maratrac. Also the TK-630H-1 is a winner (If you can find one)

Blindguy

Thanks for all the replies. I hope to have my 10 meter antenna up by fall and will spend the winter trying it while studying for my General upgrade.

k9rzz

10 meters is SO dependent on either E-skip conditions for stateside comms or solar activity for world wide prop.

I remember well working 10 meters during the peak of cycle 22:

sosoon2.png

I had 5 elements on top of the house and with 100 watts used to have pileups of JA's.

Their signals were so loud, I could hear their dogs barking or the baby crying in the other room.

An amazing band when it's really hopping. A real dog when it's dead.

SPL15

I like to modulate
I haven't heard a peep on 10m since late June. Literally, not a peep (CW, data, etc).

When the band was open here in W. Michigan earlier this year, heard lots of activity on the technician portion of the 10m band.

One thing that is nice about 10m from what I've observed in my short time being licensed & long time being a SWL'er, everyone seems to tune to an even 5khz step in the USB phone frequencies, which makes doing a band search incredibly quick if your transceiver is scanning in 5Khz steps between band edges. Plus having nice 5Khz steps is pleasing to my OCD :). In the lower HF bands, I often see folks use 1Mhz steps, even with no contests going on; not really a big deal at all, just makes it so scanning through the band is a little slower as your frequency stepping needs to be at most 1Mhz. I like to use 100Khz to better 'dial-in' the folks with minor transmit frequency alignment problems if I'm just listening; I use the RIT to do the actual correction during a QSO though.

I'd work quick to get your general license. Once you get an HF transceiver & proper antenna setup, you'll find yourself listening to the lower bands & be really annoyed you can't participate. It would be like owning a Ferrari while having a restricted drivers license that allows you to only drive from work to home at specific times of the day.

For a great starter setup that is affordable (~$1K), rugged, & a bargain for what you get; I'd investigate an Icom IC-7200 & the Icom AH-4 remote tuner. A proper radial setup & low impedance grounding w/ a 31 ft, or 45 ft, or 90 ft non-resonant vertical / semi-vertical wire antenna will have you reliably pinging Europe & Australia using CW / data on 80 thru 20 m bands w/ fairly frequent SSB phone windows near evening & morning throughout North & South America all the way to Europe & Australia on many occasions.

The really nice thing about the wire antenna setup with a remote tuner (Other than being nearly invisible from the road if you're in an HOA) is that you can also easily attach a long horizontal wire, massive loop, or the common dipole antenna, or just about anything that is made of metal, & it will likely match impedance correctly to your transceiver (it may not radiate or receive well, but at least it will not destroy your radio's PA & not radiate all the RF thru your coax shield). The primary benefit to a remote tuner at the antenna is that the reflected power from the tuner does not have to make a trip back down & back up the coax to hit your antenna again, the reflected energy is bounced back into the antenna directly from the tuner located at the feed point w/ some energy being dissipated in the tuner coils & capacitors due their associated component losses.

With a remote auto-tuner, I've noticed much better results / efficiency with my antenna setups compared to the desktop units; have NEVER had RF radiated back into my shack like I've had with desktop tuners. The remote tuner also stopped my HDTV reception from dropping out during transmit.

Best of luck and get the general license; you'll be more than glad you did.
The site I used & studied from to pass my Tech & General in one sitting was this one:
https://hamstudy.org/general2015

mancow

Database Admin
Strange, I have heard 10 meters nearly daily all year. Even the FM repeaters were open today.

k8krh

TODAY IS 8/14 10 IS OPEN, if you leave a radio on daily on 28.400 something will pop up.
DOCTOR/795

wbswetnam

My favorite band is 10 meters. Last week I was looking at the Solar-Terrestrial Data Conditions report, and it said that the band conditions for 10m were "poor". But I decided to give it a try anyway.. you never know for sure until you try. I chose 28.475 MHz at 100W and called CQ several times. On my 3rd or 4th try, I got a reply from another station in Indiana (I live in Arkansas) - a good strong signal, 5/8. We had a pleasant QSO for about 15 minutes, then the band steeply dropped like a brick falling out of the sky - that's the "sporadic" in sporadic-E. But hey, despite the "poor" band conditions, I successfully had a QSO on 10 meters. It's always worth a try. The same goes for 6 meters, too!

Status
Not open for further replies.