Question on marine radio rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
I was wondering if its illegal to use a marine radio if your not on the water, say like talking to a boat on a handheld from a dock.

nd5y

It is not legal to use a marine hand held on land unless you have a coast station license.

FCC: Wireless Services: Coast Radio Stations: Services:
Marine utility stations are hand-held radios operating at ten watts or less. Marine utility stations provide similar types of services to vessels as are provided by private coast stations. The station operates under the rules applicable to ship stations when the unit is aboard a vessel, and under the rules applicable to private coast stations when the unit is on land.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...n=div6&view=text&node=47:5.0.1.1.1.11&idno=47
See 80.507 (d)

Last edited:

WX1SVR

OP - I've always understood the rule to be as nd5y has posted.

It's another one of those rules where strict interpretation leaves you scratching your head. Certainly one shouldn't be driving around town chatting with boats like a CB. This is obvious.

Your hypothetical raises an interesting point, however. One may have a good reason for using the radio at the dock. Maybe the expected party is late in returning or something like this. Yet, technically, one cannot be standing on the dock and use the radio.

However - if you had a rubber boat, kayak, canoe, etc... and were to climb into that at the dock - mere inches away - you would fall well within the rules for accepted marine radio use.

Ahh, bureaucracy at its finest!

DannB

Premium Subscriber
VHF

ND5Y is correct. but if your at the "dock" with a handheld using it to talk to another boat, and using the radio and the frequencies as your supposed to, I have never heard of anyone having trouble with the FCC. just my 2cents, from many years working and playing in the marine field

WX1SVR

Actually it is sanner-enthusiasts with too much time on their hands at their finest!

Too true! :D

DannB - in a real world application, you are quite right. I have used a handheld from the dock on several occasions. I don't think the FCC would spend the time or the money enforcing that. I was just saying that technically there is a legal/illegal differentiation between being in a vessel and being on the dock.

DannB

Premium Subscriber
your rite

Too true! :D

DannB - in a real world application, you are quite right. I have used a handheld from the dock on several occasions. I don't think the FCC would spend the time or the money enforcing that. I was just saying that technically there is a legal/illegal differentiation between being in a vessel and being on the dock.

And i agreed with that...

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
Go on any cruise ship and look at how many "ships" radios are on the docks while boarding and disembarking.. Mere feet from the "licensed" vessel is a lot different than using them in the wilderness to go hunting..
If you go by the Black and White letter of the law, any operation off the vessel is illegal.. Will they get you for operating from the dock, doubt it !!..

chammerbeck

Premium Subscriber
Holier than thou ham radio police....never fails for them to jump in and spew the law. FCC understaffed and not actively after people misusing radio equipment unless a multiple of them complain. Blah blah blah. Instead of wasting time on here they should spend the energy loosing weight and taking a shower once a day. Fat and stinky seems to be the norm for ham.

Ok I'm done...sorry for my rant. :)

DannB

Premium Subscriber
Blow a gasket???

DannB don't blow a gasket i was just saying. they have done this for years.

K3CFC

Im far from blowing a gasket we were talking about legal and illegal and i was just saying that can get ya introuble, iknow this goes on...i was just saying...

AF0DJ

Premium Subscriber
As far as comms around cruise ships, a good many of them are using regular LMR frequencies, not marine freqs for their handhelds.

ecps92

Actually there is a mix of LMR and VHF Marine.

Here in Boston we regularly have the Ships-Agent on-shore talking back to the Ship on VHF Marine, while the Ship is using the LMR (Analog, TRBO systems)

As far as comms around cruise ships, a good many of them are using regular LMR frequencies, not marine freqs for their handhelds.

elk2370bruce

If the dock is of the floating variety, are you ashore or on the water?

Is the floating dock attached to the shore? There is the answer. I doubt that the FCC would even hear a handheld radio unless they were close aboard. Most people have the sense to avoid channel 16 to minimize the chance of a visit from Uncle Charlie.

ecps92

You might be surprised at what the FCC can hear from it's remote DF sites

Is the floating dock attached to the shore? There is the answer. I doubt that the FCC would even hear a handheld radio unless they were close aboard. Most people have the sense to avoid channel 16 to minimize the chance of a visit from Uncle Charlie.

jkinzel

Premium Subscriber
Would I be correct to assume the original poster is referring to pleasure craft?

In Puget Sound when docking or letting go ships there is always a line sup. on the dock with a radio so the pilot can get the correct spotting instruction or the sup. can let the ship know when all the lines are fast or clear. The same thing may apply when handling large barges that require special spotting for loading/unloading, a company rep, usually the port captain, will be on the beach/dock with a radio to communicate with the tug crew. Weather this is legal or not, it is the way it is done in the real world of commercial harbor work.

elk2370bruce

You might be surprised at what the FCC can hear from it's remote DF sites

Yeah! The FCC has so many mobile df units out there. The basic rule is that if you don't know the rules for sure, just don't do it. You can't get caught and fined if you keep your hands off the xmit button

Status
Not open for further replies.