furuno ssb tranceiver fs-1502

Status
Not open for further replies.

mainetrunk

Hi guys, it's been a long search, but after talking with an offshore fisherrman, I was able to get this ..
Furuno ssb tranceiver fs-1502 ---OJNLY, gotta get the rest--power supply, tuner, THIS is getting fun...

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Moved, since this is not a HF receiver.

What, may I ask, do you intend to use this for? Mike

mainetrunk

Listen to the offshore boats, get a ham liscense, talk to a few boats I know.. What separates this from an hf receiver--I.E Alinco djx11-t? I got both, they both go from 1 mhz up to 30 mhz..

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I don't believe it would be legal for you to use this radio without a license (no not a ham license) in the marine service (someone jump in here and correct me). Now if you were to get a ham license and wanted to talk to fishermen who were also hams, that's a horse of another color. There are several such nets out there already

There is a world of difference between a small Alinco handheld and a dedicated marine transceiver. I'm not up on my marine models, but if it's anything like other HF marine transceivers I have seen, their HF band is channeled - there are specific transmit / receive frequencies that such radios would cover. See this link for more (it's a PDF)...

http://www.udxf.nl/HF-Maritime-Channels.pdf

Immediately you will see the issue. These frequencies don't overlap anywhere in the amateur service. Too, the ham service is not channelized like the Marine service is. While you could use this radio to listen only (legally), you would not be able to use this radio in the amateur service. In addition hams use many different modes - not just voice or CW - to communicate. I kinda doubt this radio could handle being legal in the ham service without a costly conversion. This is NOT something a novice should attempt, frankly.

Radios like these are built to withstand salt air environments, the fact that the little Alinco is much more broadbanded - the list of differences is simply too long to mention.

Study up for your General license, learn a bit of Morse Code, and you will be on your way to talking to fishermen - and lots more, too.

Mike

mainetrunk

Thanks, my friend said I needed a license, didn't specify the type.. And, yes i started the CW trail.. 12 months ago, I had scanners only, wonderring what was below 30 mhz. Now, I got that Alinco, HF Balun 1:1, and now this bigger headache.. It will be a long road, just so we are clear--- I have the radio ONLY, no power cord--power supply--, antenna tuner, or a mic.. It's a winter project. Ever since Deadliest Catch, I wanted 1 of those radio's. Now I got it. Some things are more interresting TO ME than a fire 50 miles away. Scanners CAN get old, that's why I turned to the lower freqs---aka-2--30 mhz. I thank you for the advice, that is why I am here-- to get legal help, and not make mistakes. Thanks again.. Ron

SteveKJR

With regard to your license you need a marine radiotelephone license that you can apply for through the FCC - good for 10 years from what I remember. You also need to register your rig if you use it on the boat through the FCC also. Just do a search for marine radiotelephone operatiors license and you should be able to get to the website.

Let me know if you are interested in the radio send me a private message.

Regards

SteveKJR
KJ4CAR

Last edited by a moderator:

mainetrunk

Well, it has been a long road. trying to save a buck on powerring it up. Noone had the correct plug type, and noone near the water works on these dinosaur's.. So, I had Innovative antenna look at it. he set me up with power, and it is ON right now. i heard Norad already with my 3:1 dipole I made for it. This thing doesn't show/tell you when you are in USB. It is called J3E... This is going to be fun. I masterred 5 types of scanner's, 1 handheld receiver, and now a SSB receiver that appears to be almost as old as me. ( thanks Jerry )
I know what -I am- doing tonight.
actually, can I put that on the bottom, and a scanner on top of it.? There will be space between them..
Picture this-----
the Furuno on the bottom, and with special made brace's, put a Uniden BCT15X 1 inch above it, and a Radio Shack pro 197 over the Uniden..
3 in 1 static maker's, hahaha. i would also be a space saver. Remember, it is for listenning ONLY, for now. too much financial baloney going on for a bit to get my license, but I am still trying to master OHM, DC--I figued out, Great way to test a battery.

Last edited:

mainetrunk

I got it SCANNING and tuned in pretty good.
I'll say this; it has great volume to it.
the searching has a bit to be desired, but it is ok..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OimNDpV2bk&feature=em-upload_owner
This is the only FS-1502 video I can find
Like other radio companie's, every new version of the prior is NOT a big deal.
Like the FS-1503, same as the 1502.
At least it get's along with my long wire dipole.
2--30 foot wire's do alot,
especially if you get the horizontal instead of laying on roof..

mainetrunk

Well, I did it.
After calling 2 dealers--no answer,
then Calling Portland Me,
got a hint of how to program.
Then I called another number given to me for tech support,
and --bingo!!--..
I think I can scan only 1 bank at a time--4 -- 8 freqs.
Anyone want the procedure--just ask or call Furuno

Their phone# is 410-479-4420.
ask for Larry----smart man..

mainetrunk

The down side is;
you can only scan 8 freqs at once.
8 scan lists per bank, A or B..

Time for -another fHF receiver.
2 is better than 1, and my Alinco DJ-x11T don't cut it..
3 is even better than 2

Status
Not open for further replies.