RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Service Specific Monitoring > Marine Monitoring Forum

Marine Monitoring Forum - This is the place to discuss monitoring marine communications

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2017, 10:38 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Marine beacon information

Recently while in W. Palm Beach Florida I noticed what appeared to be an abandoned a low Freq. beacon site on Flagler Avenue on a platform a short distance out into Lake Worth. It was about 80 Ft. tall, has a fence around it, and a copper grounding system going into the water. It aroused my curiosity and I imagine it was once used as a navigation aid to mariners. Does anyone know the history of this or know where I might look up marine beacons ? There is a lot of info available on low frequency aircraft beacons, but nothing that I could find about marine beacons.
Sponsored links
Old 06-07-2017, 10:47 PM

Dig up some old marine charts, it would be on there. Might be hard to find, though.
Old 06-08-2017, 6:32 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Lat/Lon might help
i-Boating : Free Marine Navigation Charts & Fishing Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra View Post
Recently while in W. Palm Beach Florida I noticed what appeared to be an abandoned a low Freq. beacon site on Flagler Avenue on a platform a short distance out into Lake Worth. It was about 80 Ft. tall, has a fence around it, and a copper grounding system going into the water. It aroused my curiosity and I imagine it was once used as a navigation aid to mariners. Does anyone know the history of this or know where I might look up marine beacons ? There is a lot of info available on low frequency aircraft beacons, but nothing that I could find about marine beacons.
Old 08-03-2017, 9:13 PM

Default Marine Beacon / RDF interest / publication ?

The east, west, and gulf coasts....had very low freq, marine radio beacons, which transmitted morse ID signals. At sea, you would tune to the respective freq....and rotate the RDF loop / antenna, to obtain the proper bearing for the beacon antenna, on shore.
You then would have a line of position......and with several stations plotted, you had an "electronic fix."
Many variables at work here......and your equipment must be tested, calibrated, etc. You also...applied a "correction factor" if needed.

It was a method / tool to assist with navigation. I used the RDF beacon system in the early 1970s.
If you are in Baltimore.....check out the USCG lightship....."chesapeake"
She not only acted as a floating lighthouse, but also still has the VLF antenna system in place.
Mariners were cautioned to not "ride the RDF beacon" during foggy weather........or you had the potential of colliding with the lightship.

And at one time, I had the marine RDF booklet....that detailed each stations location, freq, beacon call, etc.

I would like to obtain a copy .... or be able to locate the PDF version.
The pubs that I locate online are too recent to have the stations from the 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, etc.
Take Care
Old 08-09-2017, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasag View Post
Mariners were cautioned to not "ride the RDF beacon" during foggy weather........or you had the potential of colliding with the lightship.
And that happened, more than once. Lost a lot of good people.
Sponsored links
Old 08-09-2017, 9:36 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmckenna View Post
And that happened, more than once. Lost a lot of good people.

The light ship Nantucket was struck by the sister to Titanic, the Olympic in fog while homing in on the beacon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-09-2017, 9:58 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

It might not be a marine beacon. It might be an aviation NDB.
Old 08-10-2017, 9:49 PM

There are web sites out there that have exhaustive lists of beacons that were, and still are on the air. Get the lat/lon off of Google Earth, and see what you can find. It that's what it was, there's something about it on the web somewhere.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:16 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I guess we will never know the OP has not been back since June 14th

Last Activity: 06-14-2017 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz0468 View Post
There are web sites out there that have exhaustive lists of beacons that were, and still are on the air. Get the lat/lon off of Google Earth, and see what you can find. It that's what it was, there's something about it on the web somewhere.
Old 02-11-2018, 9:40 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra View Post
Sir, about 20 years ago. Their were differential beacons . If you had a loran c. Or a Gps with the Capability. The Furuno gps 28, circa 1996, furuno gps 30 1998 ,furuno 32 2000. Look for the Waas feature.
I know the locations on the great lakes.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc8vlv View Post
Sir, about 20 years ago. Their were differential beacons .
There still are. I've got one just north of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc8vlv View Post
If you had a loran c. Or a Gps with the Capability. The Furuno gps 28, circa 1996, furuno gps 30 1998 ,furuno 32 2000. Look for the Waas feature.
I know the locations on the great lakes.
WAAS and Differential GPS as used here in the USA are similar in function, but are different in how they get the signal to the user.
WAAS uses correction data sent out by the GOES satellites to the end users.
DGPS uses correction data sent out by more localized long wave transmitters to the end users.

I suspect you are thinking of DGPS, and not WAAS.

If what he was seeing was a DGPS station, it wouldn't look abandoned. All the ones I've been at are fairly well maintained.
Old 02-12-2018, 8:02 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Old thread but FWIW, USCG does not show a DGPS station at West Palm Beach. Cannot find any NDB for any of the airports in the West Palm Beach area. Without more precise location...........