RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Service Specific Monitoring > Marine Monitoring Forum


Marine Monitoring Forum - This is the place to discuss monitoring marine communications

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-27-2018, 5:14 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: DelMarVa
Posts: 159
Default Marine VHF home antenna

I am considering buying a marine vhf antenna which would typically be mounted on a boat to the roof my home. I primarily listen to marine vhf and fire dept vhf 154-158 mhz. I read that the large whip antenna's have a 6db gain @ 156.8 mhz. Will i receive the results I am looking for ? Has anyone had this setup at there home ?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-27-2018, 5:55 PM
prcguy's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,880
Default

Most marine band antennas will work fine for your range of frequencies but the advertised gain of most marine antennas is very exaggerated. For example it takes about 21ft of antenna at VHF to achieve 6dBd of gain and there is no magic way around that.

Most 3-4ft versions are about 0dBd gain at best and some 8ft versions might be around 3dBd gain. I was just playing with a 3ft Shakespeare 5215 whip the other day and was surprised that it had a decent match from about 152 to 162Mhz and made an ok general purpose VHF antenna.


Quote:
Originally Posted by fireboat61 View Post
I am considering buying a marine vhf antenna which would typically be mounted on a boat to the roof my home. I primarily listen to marine vhf and fire dept vhf 154-158 mhz. I read that the large whip antenna's have a 6db gain @ 156.8 mhz. Will i receive the results I am looking for ? Has anyone had this setup at there home ?
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-27-2018, 6:00 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: DelMarVa
Posts: 159
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prcguy View Post
Most marine band antennas will work fine for your range of frequencies but the advertised gain of most marine antennas is very exaggerated. For example it takes about 21ft of antenna at VHF to achieve 6dBd of gain and there is no magic way around that.

Most 3-4ft versions are about 0dBd gain at best and some 8ft versions might be around 3dBd gain. I was just playing with a 3ft Shakespeare 5215 whip the other day and was surprised that it had a decent match from about 152 to 162Mhz and made an ok general purpose VHF antenna.


Thank you for the information. Im still learning about antennas and the gain vs length ect. I have learned that the most expensive radio is useless without a good antenna.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-27-2018, 6:14 PM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: W.Babylon N.Y. 11704
Posts: 594
Default

I Used the Shakespear 8300--Man that was a Good Antenna--Decent Price too from West Marine

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/shake...8?recordNum=18
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-27-2018, 7:16 PM
iMONITOR's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MACOMB, MI.
Posts: 5,443
Default

Approximately how far will marine VHF signals travel inland from the water? I live about 15 Miles from Anchor Bay in Lake St. Clair, and about 30 Miles from the St. Clair River. If I mounted a decent marine antenna on my roof with a tripod and a 5' mast I'd be about 25' above ground level. There are no tall buildings in-between but there are miles of mature trees. Possible?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-27-2018, 9:34 PM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: W.Babylon N.Y. 11704
Posts: 594
Default

I Did Roughly 63 as the Crow flies miles--from Island Park Long Island to Barnegat Light NJ with an apelco marine Mobile radio--25 watts and at the Time was a 3 foot Fiberglass Whip Antenna---the Antenna was Mounted 26 ft from Ground Level--Run with 50 feet of rg-58 with no Problems or High SWR--Actually it was 1.2 to 1

I Dont Think You will have Any Problem---What can it Hurt if you Try--Good Luck
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-27-2018, 10:24 PM
iMONITOR's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MACOMB, MI.
Posts: 5,443
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipfd320 View Post
I Did Roughly 63 as the Crow flies miles--from Island Park Long Island to Barnegat Light NJ with an apelco marine Mobile radio--25 watts and at the Time was a 3 foot Fiberglass Whip Antenna---the Antenna was Mounted 26 ft from Ground Level--Run with 50 feet of rg-58 with no Problems or High SWR--Actually it was 1.2 to 1

I Dont Think You will have Any Problem---What can it Hurt if you Try--Good Luck

Sounds good! I think I'll be able to get the USCG as well as the big freighters. I'm not real interested hearing all the drunks on their pleasure boats.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 05-30-2018, 7:28 PM
ocn29rsc's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Surfside Beach, SC
Posts: 164
Default

I have a 6db marine antenna set up at my house with 1/2" coax and on a mast about 30' up.

pretty good results...I have this antenna on a marine radio.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2018, 3:26 AM
   
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1
Default

I use 8' VHF Antennas For T-tops, radar arches, speedboats, yachts and commercial vessels. Wide band models for land and marine use.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 06-27-2018, 7:36 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 197
Default

I have the 21ft antenna and this thing rocks. The 476 is huge. I use one for my repeater at the house and one for marines use on my tower.
Great antenna!!! Expensive but worth it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 4:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2015 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions