Sorting Out Users of 464.925

Status
Not open for further replies.

TinEar

I need some help if you have specifics for this frequency. We have George Washington University in D.C. using it with a PL of 74.4. Then we have a Baltimore facility - probably Johns Hopkins University or Johns Hopkins Bayview Campus - using it with a PL of 186.2. There is still another user that operates in CSQ mode. The downtown Johns Hopkins Hospital Security force uses 461.775 so we can rule them out as one of the JH users. The PL 186.2 user and the CSQ user are both Baltimore entities but that's all I've been able to discover about them. None of the users seem to transmit callsigns to make the job easier. Oh, and one user could possibly be Sinai Hospital since they are in the FCC database for this frequency too.

Llwellyn

Hey Al, I've set up my recording solution finally. It's not perfect, as I can't play back or use the PC for certain things while I'm recording, but leaving it on overnight or during the day is no problem. Make me a list of all the frequencies you need ID'd and I'll see what I can do... I'll make some 6-8 hour VOX recordings of those freqs.

I got a little bit better antenna setup now too; I was able to increase everything except some of the BWI frequencies, and the AA trunk. I can now pick up Howard and Harford counties almost twice as well, but the AA system reception got no better, making me think I'm drowning in interference rather than a reception issue.

TinEar

Great news on the reception Llwellyn. Often it takes no more than moving the antenna around and leaning it one direction or another. I now have two antennas put together and just sitting here until the weather gets warmer so I can install them outside somewhere. I've mentioned the discone and now I've added a dual band corner reflector to my collection. I don't know why I bother considering the great reception I get with just the radio whip but you know how that goes - always striving for something better.

By the way, with Anne Arundel County, I can lean my antenna in the wrong direction and destroy them totally. It seems to be all or nothing with them. Very fickle signal.

The two frequencies I have the most interest in at the moment are the one that started this thread and one that I had mentioned at an earlier time of 406.2875. I think we agreed on the 408.1375 as belonging to the US Postal Service but just don't know which location. Those would help a lot if your recording would put a label on them.

Llwellyn

Alright, nothing glorious, but I've got the 3 unknown freqs scanning and recording tonight. I've got ARC250 controlling the scanner and logging the frequency and time, and then ScanReq VOX recording the audio and logging the time and position in the audio file. Then, I can listen to the recording later, and when I find something of interest, pause the recording and match up the times in both of the logs and post a clip of the audio.

I'll let it run tonight, and tomorrow while I'm at work. I may have to stop it for a while while I use the computer in the morning before work though. If I do anything that makes noise, ScanRec records it because it uses SoundMapper as the audio source... no way to lock it only to LineIn. That's the reason I can't play anything back while I'm still recording... it would just re-record it...

I've already got over 4 hours worth of Fire Alarm comms logged with this, it's really a cool program. It has a buffer, unlike most mechanical VOX recorders, so the beginnings of the recordings aren't clipped.

TinEar

Llwellyn, if you don't already have them, 408.1375 uses DPL 245, 406.2875 uses DPL 732 and if you'd like to add frequency 410.0375 to the recording setup, they use PL 203.5.

Status
Not open for further replies.