Earthquake!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlevin

WBAL is reporting a "sesmic event" somewhere between Pasadena and Aberdeen. The US geological survey has confirmed it. People were reporting to WBAL that the ground was shaking. No reports of injuries. Prior to reporting this, WBAL said that people were reporting a loud boom heard in AA County. I'm trying to find more info.

{EDIT} Those webmasters are fast. http://www.thewbalchannel.com/news/4223767/detail.html

TinEar

I heard the loud boom. I was outside at the time but couldn't place what I was hearing. At first I thought it was from the airport but the direction seemed to be wrong for that. No idea at all what it was.

mlevin

The loud boom, then the report of an Earth Quake near aberdeen, led me to believe that someone screwed up real good over at APG. :)

TinEar

Comms are normal from Aberdeen Proving Ground - nothing unusual. A flight of A-10s (104th Ftr Sq) from Martin State Airport took off but it seems to be a normal training mission.

mlevin

Well didn't hear or feel anything here. I'm dissapointed, I've always wanted to feel the ground shake. I wonder what the boom was, I don't think it was a coincidence.

bcradio

Database Admin
Often an earthquake is accompanied by a loud boom... One big earthquake I felt here on the west coast sounded like a big dump truck running into a large pothole at full speed.

N

N_Jay

mlevin said:
Well didn't hear or feel anything here. I'm dissapointed, I've always wanted to feel the ground shake. I wonder what the boom was, I don't think it was a coincidence.

I don't know if you realy "hear" an earthquake or "feel" a sonic boom, but Earthquakes and Sonic Booms are often missreported as the other.

As for a 2, that is what you feel in CA, when a truck drives in front of your house. :)

bcradio

Database Admin
N_Jay said:
mlevin said:

I don't know if you realy "hear" an earthquake or "feel" a sonic boom, but Earthquakes and Sonic Booms are often missreported as the other.

As for a 2, that is what you feel in CA, when a truck drives in front of your house. :)

:)

ScanManQSL

Premium Subscriber
QTH: Montgomery County, MD / Washington, DC
TruckCrash.jpg
[/list]

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
A flash of red light and a sonic loud boom preceded the Great Hanshin Earthquake several years ago, then everything started to shake violently. Sadly, the rest is history and many people in Kobe, Japan were killed. I always take any sound like this as being very serious.

I have a feeling that the 9-1-1 lines really light up like a Christmas tree?

colheli

Thunderbolt said:
A flash of red light and a sonic loud boom preceded the Great Hanshin Earthquake several years ago, then everything started to shake violently. Sadly, the rest is history and many people in Kobe, Japan were killed. I always take any sound like this as being very serious.

That's odd.........I was there, when that quake happened, and I don't recall any sonic boom. I remember the shaking, though!

N

N_Jay

colheli said:
Thunderbolt said:

That's odd.........I was there, when that quake happened, and I don't recall any sonic boom. I remember the shaking, though!

I was going to cqall "BS" on that, but;
1) was not there
2) have been in enough pissing contests here recently

Waldo325mvfd

when that 4.1 hit in va I was walking into my house and i herd a boom and thought nothing about it because of Blossom point proving groungs 10 miles away, but I was surprised when it was fallowed by a moderate shakeing and several calls about building colapses and all of that. 8)

Llwellyn

Just an update, so that no one has to go troll the WBAL-TV site for the info.

The event was confirmed seismic, and happened at 9:22:40AM EST. Depth was estimated at 3.1 miles below the surface. Epicenter was between Jacobsville and Pasadena with the official call of .62 miles NNE of the center of Pasadena.

They are considering amending the report to show the epicenter 1.2 miles WNW of the center of Dundalk rather than Pasadena.

They are now saying that reports of a second and third quake are unconfirmed and probably not correct.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I've personally experienced two (minor) earthquakes - one in California and the other in the BVI. My first one occured while I was walking the campus of USC in LA. All of a sudden people started piling out of the classroom bldgs. with their faces ashen with panic. Some girl asked "Did you feel it?" I never felt or heard a thing, but apparently the buildings swayed a bit. People out there have this deeply hidden fear of the "big one." The second one I experienced was on Tortola in the British Virgin Islands while eating at Pusser's in Sopers Hole. I heard this rumbling overhead - like someone was dragging a piano across the floor above me, - then felt a sharp bang coming from the floor below me - weird. Everybody just stared at each other, wondring what happened. The next day the radio announced that an earthquake occurred under the Atlantic near Anegada Is. I guess we were lucky it wasn't big enough to spur a tsunami... Anyway, earlier in the trip I noticed a smattering of faded Civil Defense bullitens posted around the island about what to do in the event of an earthquake. I thought to myself "Earthquakes, huh?"

Status
Not open for further replies.