St.Marys EDACS DIGITAL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waldo325mvfd

well guy's sounds like we have a EDACS Digital thing going on now. :roll:

I was on my way home fram school and my captin had just been called and had replied, but when he replied on the frequency with the weard beeps and i heard edacs digital after he was done.

scansomd

I'm not sure what you heard, but St. Mary's county has not shifted to digital. I doubt it will happen in the near future.

Can you describe in more detail what you heard?

Waldo325mvfd said:
well guy's sounds like we have a EDACS Digital thing going on now. :roll:

I was on my way home fram school and my captin had just been called and had replied, but when he replied on the frequency with the weard beeps and i heard edacs digital after he was done.

mstarn

You might be hearing encryption. I think that St Marys has capabilty for encryption. My memory is what I forget with - I think St Marys has 6 talk groups that can use the encryption (or can be dedicated to encryption). Cannot remember the groups.

scansomd

mstarn said:
You might be hearing encryption. I think that St Marys has capabilty for encryption. My memory is what I forget with - I think St Marys has 6 talk groups that can use the encryption (or can be dedicated to encryption). Cannot remember the groups.

I would be very interested in hearing from anyone who has definitive knowledge about the encryption capable groups.

mstarn

As far as I can determine the MD State Police CID and St Marys County CID groups are "somewhat" combined and use the encrypted the capabilities of the EDACS system. In addition, the "Drug Enforcement" folks are using the same capabilities. Maybe that explains some of the weird sounds and beeps you are hearing.

I usually only hear weird things like that after slamming a few tequillas. Some times see weird things too.

All joking aside, I think the State Police and County encrypted is what you are hearing. Glad I'm down here in SC now, as I lived in St Mary's for the last 25 years. (Moved to SC in Dec 2004) Nice to be back home in SC.

Detjohnc

scansomd said:
mstarn said:

I would be very interested in hearing from anyone who has definitive knowledge about the encryption capable groups.

As far as i am aware, the St. Mary's County sheriff's office has two talkgroups that are encrypted at all times. Those are the narcotics TG, which is commonly referred to as the "Narco Channel," and the other is the hostage negotiator TG, commonly referred to as "Negotiator." it seems to me, that otherwise, when a deputy wishes to discuss something of a sensitive nature, either with the dispatcher, or another deputy, they use their Nextels. it should also be noted that not all deputies, in fact very few, seem to have the "Narco channel" and/or the "Negotiator channel" programmed into their radios. several days ago i overheard what i consider to be a pretty sensitive operation, involving both the state police and the county sheriff's office, as well as their combined Bureau of Criminal Investigations, take place on TG 278, which is the common police TG. This TG is referred to as the "Police Channel." This particular TG allows the state police and the sheriff's department, as well as their respective dispatchers, to communicate with each other when the need arises. TG 278 operates in the clear, as do all of the TAC channels. There may be other encrypted TG's, but i listen 24/7 and have yet to hear any others mentioned. I hope that this helps.

Det. John M. Crupi (Ret.)
US Capitol Police Dept.

Waldo325mvfd

ok thanks for the update, and i got your messsage and have a negative reply on that info.

also i have AFS patch tgs they used to be 14-### but changed to 15-###

15-155
15-156
15-157

old

14-001
14-002
14-003
14-004
14-005

i also notaced that some planned tgs are stagnent can any one conferm.

rpoole23

The combined "BCI" which is the Bureau of Criminal Investigations has troopers and deputies assigned. As for the encrypted channels go, there are a few, one for Narcotics, Hostage Negotiators, EST (SWAT Team), and one for Admin. The only people who have a radio with those are those officers assigned to those teams. ALL other channels are in the clear. This has been a point of concern for us patrol officers as sometimes we need to use a channel for some call but we do not have one to use. We switch to one of the 6 TAC channels and the State Police also have 3 of their own TAC channels. The POLICE channel is a common talkgroup put in the deputies and MSP radios so on a priorty call everyone can talk on the same channel without any problems. There are several other channels or talkgroups that are available such as DISPN or CID or SOD or the countywide ones, there are plenty there to use but only those few are encrypted with limited accessibility. There is also a supervisors channel that only Cpls and above have access to, but then again if listening to a scanner it can be heard anyway! Hope this helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.