Interference on I-TAC 3 in Eastern AACo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lebrunmn

Retired... Get off my lawn!
Premium Subscriber
Has anyone else been getting steady interference on I-TAC 3, 867.51250, in the Eastern AACo area? I'm in the Orchard/Stoney Beach area, and get nothing but static on that particular freq. I've turned on the attenuator for that freq, and that has resolved the problem, but I'm just wondering if someone might know what's up? I've searched the forums--without success--to see if someone else is having this problem. (Of course, I'm still an FNG, so I'm not too good with the whole forum thing.) I've also driven all around Eastern AACo with my handheld, and I still get steady static on that freq. I just had to ask.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Regards,

-Mark

Llwellyn

I'm not sure about ITAC-3, but for sure RINS-3 and RINS-4 you will get interference on if you don't PL it. RINS-3 and RINS-4 are control channel frequencies for the Delaware State TRS for New Castle County. RINS-3 is also used on every NJ State TRS site.

It's starting to get into the season again where picking up stuff from the Eastern shore and anything up to the Northeast is gonna be easy and in some cases unavoidable.

Best bet would be to use the PL tones. Anyone authorized to use these frequencies is going to have the correct PL tone.

EDIT: 867.5125 is in use in the Manassas, VA TRS.

lebrunmn

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, Llwellyn--your suggestion to set the CTCSS code did the trick.

For some reason I was using PL tones for RINS freqs but my ITAC freqs were all set to carrier squelch.

Thanks for taking the time to help a newbie.

-Mark

lebrunmn

Premium Subscriber
EDIT: I inadvertantly turned on the attenuator back on when I loaded the PL tones--looks like I'm still getting that interference on 867.5125.

Oh, well...

-Mark

Llwellyn

You're getting interference with a PL tone set? The interference is strong enough to break squelch? That's interesting... I'll see if I'm getting any interference.

I'm getting nada when in PL mode... in CSQ I'm hearing digital transmissions just at the edge of audibility, consistent with interference from a fair distance away.

lebrunmn

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, it has me stumped, too. It's been bothering me for sometime, otherwise I wouldn't have posted it in the forum.

It seems to be just as you suggest, interference from some distance: it's a steady 3 bars on the BC-780 S-meter--assuming that has any real value--I'm not sure how accurate the meter really is. This afternoon, I had my wife driving me up and down the length of Ft. Smallwood road--the signal was steady until we got into Baltimore City proper, and was steady up to Gibson Island area, but move a few miles inland--say Severna Park, and it was gone.

It is a puzzlement... thanks for your help.

-Mark

billn

FYI, MA/Com is still testing MESIN equipment in some areas. Mabe from transmitters locked on

lebrunmn

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I guess MESIN would make sense, since it seems to occur mostly near the bay. I didn't realize that they were still testing.

Thanks,

-Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.