Newbie equipment help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobilejoe

Hi I am new to the scanning hobby and looking for equipment ideas. I am a fire buff mostly but when the urge hits I will listen to anything. I currently have a old Uniden BC235XLT and I am looking to set up a base unit. I would like to listen to the following areas AACO, PG, Balt. Co, and Howard Co. I can get most of the counties now but Balt. Co. comes in with alot of static. Looking for base scanner, outside antenna, wiring, and any other items that you all would suggest.

Thanks in advance,

Mobilejoe

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Well since you included Howard county in your list, your choices narrow to basically 2; the PRO2096 from Radio Shack or the BC796 from Uniden. Both have their strong and weak points (the 2096 won't do military air, the 796 will; the 2096 only support up/download to/from a computer, the 796 can be computer controlled). A little refining here is necessary; I'd suggest the various threads here on this board (there are several devoted to each of these scanners in the Uniden and RS forums. Note that the 2096 is the mobile version of the PRO96, so much of what is said there might apply to the 2096 as well. Same for the 796 (base) and the 296d (handheld).

As for antennas; well, there are numerous opinions. Some like the NilJon, others the Scantenna (from Grove, I believe). Again, the antennas forum on this board will serve you well. The kind of coax you would need to use would also be on topic there.

Yeah, there are areas in AA county where Baltimore county is a bit iffy. Getting the antenna into the air would be a step in the right direction.

That gives you some things to think about; start asking questions, there's lots of really smart folks here.

73s Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.