beltway accident freqs

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawkeye0323

Premium Subscriber
Can anybody tell me if there is a set group of freqs that are used on the beltway if there is an accident or does each county have one.

Samuel

For Fire / Rescue response the incident would be on the jurisdictions respective radio systems. If they are both on a trunked system then they will be able to talk to each other tho. For example if it just across the A.L. Bridge into FXCO and both Fairfax and Montgomery respond then both jurisdictions apparatus would operate on 4-I.

mlevin

Which beltway? DC or Baltimore? What Sam said pretty much applies to both. Fire/Rescue will operate on their respective freqs/trunked systems. and State Police and DOT will operate on their respective freqs.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
While it's true that each jurisdiction has its own talkgroups - and I'm using that term specifically, since the majority of the Baltimore beltway lies within Baltimore and Anne Arundel counties - for Fire/EMS response, there are a few frequencies that would be utilized in the event of a major accident. Frequencies like Mutual Aid (154.28) should always be kept handy. In addition, with the testing of the RINS frequencies some time ago, I would expect that they too could be used at some point.

Of course, I would also keep MSP frequencies handy as well; particularly MSP Golden Ring and Glen Burnie barracks. I'd also have Syscom, as if someone calls for a Medevac, the helos and other units would be using these. 44.74, 123.025, and a few others I can't think of offhand. I'd also keep 47.32, 47.40 and 47.02 (all of these are State Highway admin) in there as well; they'd be used by those bright yellow trucks that you see responding to highway emergencies. I would also keep Metro Traffic's frequency and PL in there somewhere (450.4875, I'm pretty sure the PL is 141.3)

This of course mandates the use of a decent mobile antenna, not to mention a good external speaker, patch to the stereo system, or other ways to amplify the audio - particularly important if the windows are down (and in this warm weather, who wouldn't have it that way anyway?)

73s Mike

Admin0140434

ka3jjz said:
In addition, with the testing of the RINS frequencies some time ago, I would expect that they too could be used at some point.

while mike is correct that these frequencies are being tested, one has to keep in mind that some agencies use these as talkaround frequencies (frequency AND pl)

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Absolutely true, Admin - and if they're being used in a talkaround mode at the scene, that's another possible avenue of information.

To be honest, I haven't seen it done yet; but I have a feeling that it's coming, slowly to be sure, but it is coming....73s Mike

Dank

talk around

How do I set them up to monitor trunked freqs in talkaround? Are they entered as a conventional? Saturday night on Montgomery fire 7G I heard 1 FM tell another to go to 7C on talkaround.

ericcarlson

Database Admin
"Talk-Around" traditionally refers to simplex usage of a conventional repeater output frequency. However, some trunked systems have talkgroups called "talk-around" which are used for unit-to-unit chat. So, the exact meaning varies.

-Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.