Maryland DNR Law Enforcement Merger

Status
Not open for further replies.

skipshark773

The two Law Enforcement arms of the MD DNR (state forest and park service & natural resources police) have been merged together. If you have not had a chance to see the story i will post the two links below.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/dnrnews/infocus/leo_merger.asp

and

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/dnrnews/pressrelease2004/040204a.html

I don't know what this will mean for their VHF frequencies, but in the central region it sounds as if most of the law enforcement activity has been moved to the NRP High-Band frequency (151.2050) with most of the Forest Service activity remaining behind on the old SFPS Channel 3 repeater (159.4500). I was just curious to see if anyone else across the state has noticed any changes in the uses of the DNR's frequencies...anyone?

[Edit]: I just ran thru the FCC ULS and noticed that the NRP has 3 new VHF narrowband frequencies: 151.2425, 151.3175, and 159.3825. Maybe these are to expand the NRP's VHF High Band for the merger?..... :confused:

doctordave

I have them plugged in, as well. Wonder if the NRP/DNR vehicle radios even have narrow-band capabilities, as yet?

doctordave

Have copied a few key-ups (strong signal) on 151.2425 with a DCS of 351. ??? Have yet to hear any voice comms.

Also copied a strong-signal morse code call-sign ID at 19:38, without any associated DCS tone. Do not have the means of decoding it. Al, maybe you can catch the next one? The other 2 freqs have been silent.

skipshark773

yea, ive heard a couple clicks on 151.2425 but had my scanner set to CTCSS so i cant confirm the DCS code. i have yet to hear anything on the other two and have not heard a BSI on any of the three.

TinEar

Okay Dave...I'll take a listen beginning about 35 after the hour and give you the Morse ID if they send it again. I'm going to have to dig out my HF receiver - I miss copying CW.

doctordave

Yep - getting the morse code ID at :08 / :38 of each hour on 151.2425. Nada on the other 2 freqs, still. FCC database doesn't show any agencies other than DNR with this freq in MD.

TinEar

Well, it turns out they are using a known callsign. Transmitted at 2038 was callsign WQBJ764. That callsign is assigned to DNR for 151.2425 from three locations: Owings Mills in Baltimore County, Frederick in Frederick County and Northeast in Cecil County.

skipshark773

WQBJ764 is the callsign that matches the ULS listing...im checking with my guy in the NRP who gave me all the info you see in the RR database to see if he knows what the new frequencies are for...

doctordave

Great work. Regarding 151.205, the database suggests variable output tones....but I seem to only get PL 103.5. My assumption is that the only variability in tones would be on the INPUT freq, so that the user could actually select which particular tower to hit. Anyone know otherwise?

....ahh, so there are some other PLs....thanks! We'll stay tuned for more updates. Perhaps we can get a better sense of the use of the VHF-Low freqs from your NRP contact, as well?

skipshark773

no there are different PL tones, im talking to my friend who is an NRP officer and he is giving me all sorts of good stuff which will make it into the database asap. in reference to 151.2050 he is indicating to me that there are different repeaters set up on different tones. heres the two he gave me:

151.2050 PL 103.5 - Gwynbrook Highband
151.2050 PL 118.8 - Gambrills Highband

im still trying to get more info, as soon as i can accumulate it all together ill send in a update.

[Edit]: as far as the narrowband frequencies go, he has no idea what they are for and who is using them. as soon as he can figure it out he promises to let me know. in the meantime i guess just keep a vigilant ear out...

skipshark773

doctordave said:
Great work. Regarding 151.205, the database suggests variable output tones....but I seem to only get PL 103.5. My assumption is that the only variability in tones would be on the INPUT freq, so that the user could actually select which particular tower to hit. Anyone know otherwise?

....ahh, so there are some other PLs....thanks! We'll stay tuned for more updates. Perhaps we can get a better sense of the use of the VHF-Low freqs from your NRP contact, as well?

I'll check in with him as soon as i can and share whatever he can give me, ive already submitted a update to the RR database with my newly acquired info. He is unsure about other PL's assigned to the 151.2050 frequency except for the ones that he gave me (103.5, 118.8; those are the ones used the most in central region) but promises to look around for a frequency list to confirm.

baybum

Marine patrols

Ask him what freq is used by marine police.
I'll be out in the bay all week and would like to catch som comms.
At least I'll be catching something.

Thanks,

Mike

skipshark773

Re: Marine patrols

baybum said:

Thanks,

Mike

He tells me that there is no such thing as the "marine police" anymore. The NRP used to have two divisions, the Marine Division and the Inland Division, but they were consolidated in the 1970's. Evidently they all share frequencies now but he said that back in the day the Marine Division used the Lo-band and the Inland Division used the Highband. My suggestion would be to monitor all of them and pay special attention to the lowband frequencies.

Dispatcher308

Premium Subscriber
Bay Bum try 39.220 and 151.205 those should prove useful while on the boat.

Also to all the 151.2425 makes sense with those 3 locations cause Gwynnbrook(Owings mills) is tower site now and Catoctin(Frederick) is a tower site as well and the one in NE is also a tower site for DNR/NRP Comms.

scannerman700

Re: Marine patrols

baybum said:

Thanks,

Mike
Catch a Rockfish and a few croakers :D

Status
Not open for further replies.