PD Helo Video downlinks ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctordave

Today, while multiple PD helos were zooming around the general area of Pimlico, I heard one mention to another on 123.025 (I believe it was Foxtrot) that he was testing a downlink feed off his camera...including FLIR (odd during daylight)...he even offered to set down at Martins to show the other pilot his new equipment. Sure sounds like real-time video feeds, much like NYC PD helos purportedly use to help ground commanders during a major incident. To date, I have never heard a reference to this during any area SWAT-involved scenarios....so I presume this capability is truly new to our area (except for the news choppers). Very interesting.

mlevin

I've heard them talk about that in the past.

Did anyone hear or see the sky writers flying around Pimlico? They were flying over my house for an hour writing "GEICO.COM" in the sky over and over again. They had five planes writing the letters in a dot matrix kinda style. Pretty cool to watch.

doctordave

Thanks, Mo....sounds like they've had it in place before today, then.

Jerry - Yep, PD helo. And, our media pilots are great about helping out when the PD helos are stretched thin.

cohenner5377

Hey, Mo!!! I missed the Geico planes!!! I was looking for hot air baloons (my wife loves them) but we always seem to miss them...

David

skipshark773

BALTIMORE, COUNTY OF
WPPV241
Frequency:
Eligibility
90.20 - BALTIMORE COUNTY POLICE HELICOPTER - LOW POWER VIDEO CAMERA FOR PUBLIC SAFETY EMERGENCIES. TRANSMIT TO SUITCASE RECEIVER

never seen it in use, but its there (in balto. co.)

doctordave

Very nice. Piece of related info....there was a special on the Military Channel (perhaps the greatest cable/dish channel, IMHO) a few weeks ago, regarding a vendor that is testing small (wingspan of about 2-3 ft), low-cost & easily deployed drones w/ amazing cameras and simple suitcase remote controls. They intend to market to public safety and military (specifically to be used by individual platoons, etc). Nothing like the mombo-sized drones currently used. Have to wonder how soon we'll see these birds supplanting the current PS air-support. The resolution of pics of the ground taken from a 1000-2000 ft orbit was simply tremendous. Another neat feature - the operator can program a particular course or orbit to be maintained for several consecutive hours. Impressive technology.

In addition, the ability to deploy & drop a cluster bomb on some inner city thugs could be a real plus :)

2gigch1

Premium Subscriber
In the video transmission spectrum there are three bands used by the media: 2 gigahertz, 7 gigahertz and 13 gigahertz. The preferred frequencies lie in the 2 gigahertz spectrum. Available to the media are 7 channels, 2 gig one through seven, divided amongst the tv stations. For example, WJZ primarily uses 2 gig channel 1 (which is where I used to work - hence the screen name 2gigch1).

Beyond the 7 media channels there are three reserved for government, channels eight through ten. On those frequencies police agencies can transmit their video back to a receive site for ground evaluation. Interestingly the media and police use the same gear, just the media uses the first 7 channels on the gear and the police use the last three. Therefore the police receivers can watch media transmissions and *gasp* the media can watch police stuff (though it would NEVER hit air!) I understand intake operaters in both cities were fascinated by Baltimore County's downlink of Joseph Palczynski's (sp?) standoff a few years ago.

Notably the government agencies are more likely to use omnidirectional antennas on their helicopters paired with directional "dish" antennas at their receive sites since they do not require long distance transmissions. Media birds use directional antennas slaved to a gps to keep them aimed to their receive site which produces much longer transmission ranges, limited mostly by earth curvature. To get a good signal from Ocean City to TV Hill means the helicopter has to fly around 2000 feet. Once west of Cumberland Roy had us up around 7000' to get a clean signal back. That was a bit unnerving....

At this time the 2 gigahertz spectrum is about to go to Nextel. The media will have to play in a much smaller band of frequencies. The answer of course is digital compression, but that means all new transmitters and receivers. Many dollars to be spent soon.

Also it is noted that the tv vans with telescoping masts use the same microwave technology described above. That is how you see local news going live all the time without paying for satellite time (which can be expensive).

Sadly you are unlikely to acquire the gear to 'listen in' on these transmissions since you need steerable receive dishes, expensive decoders and most importantly you need to be up pretty high in the narrow microwave path from the transmitter to tower.

TinEar

UAVs are coming. I think it's only a matter of time before some of the military technology being used in Iraq now makes its way to the civilian sector such as big city police forces - and by larger TV stations such as mentioned by 2gigch1 above. UAV technology is progressing so fast and furiously that they are becoming much cheaper and workable by almost anyone with a minimum of training. It's a helluva lot cheaper than buying or leasing a copter with all its associated expenses

For instance, take the Raven UAV. It's light (4.5 pounds), small (5 foot wingspan, 38 inches long) and works on a recharable battery. Flight time is 45 minutes to an hour with current battery technology. It's small enough to be carried in a rucksack. It's being used at the company level to find IEDs and can scour the battlefield, especially in cities like Fallujah where you must know what's behind the next building rather than over the next hill, all without exposing scouts. Different cameras can be fitted into its nose, including an IR version. Everything I know about it makes it sound perfect for city policing and, eventually, for news gathering. I'd bet it's not that long in the future before we see a city police force being equipped with one, courtesy of Homeland Security.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Foxtrot can downlink video from its FLIR/video camera. The BPD Command RV has equipment installed that can view the signal, and I think its antenna automatically tracks the helicopter in flight. The department also has a test setup that is suitcase sized, but the antenna has to be aimed at the helo by hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.