MSP 39.52 "G"

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctordave

Anyone else notice that MSP G's lowband simulcast is much weaker in recent days? I can barely copy it... -vs- previously having a great signal. Other area barracks are still coming in fine.

doctordave

Glad it's not just me w/ weaker reception....normally it is booming.....now quite weak.....more distant barracks, such as "J" are still coming in clearly. Thought maybe something in my immediate environment had changed, but since you've noted it too, maybe it's on the MSP end.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Perhaps they're using the Carroll county trunk a lot more now? It would make sense to turn the power down if that was the case....73s Mike

doctordave

Good thought, Mike....but they've been using 800 heavily for quite some time, with simulcasting on 39.52. I suppose they might have turned down the wattage for some reason. Not so long ago, they reportedly added one additional tower for 39.52, resulting in an improvement in reception for many of us in Balt Co....could be that they have again redistributed their VHF-Low tower layout. Too bad Nextel zaps out my Carroll 800 reception, or I'd just punch up the TG.

w9ofa

One explanation might be that they moved in frequency.

I noticed that all of the references list the Waterloo baracks as 39.42, but when I examine the signal on the spectrogram output of my radio (I have an sdr-1000 from flex-radio.com) I see that the signal is actually at 39.41925

Can anyone confirm this? It is possible that my radio is off frequency, but I calibrated it with WWV and it seems alright.

It is possible that this is always where the signal has been. Such a small move would be most likely be un noticable in signal strength reduction unless you are using a very tight filter on your radio.

W9OFA

mlevin

It's coming in 5 by 5 here in Pikesville using the RS mag-mount, a clothes hanger propt up horizontally off of the mag-mount, and a Pro-96.

Gotta love home brewed antenna setups. But what works, works! :D

doctordave

Pretty creative, Mo....sounds like a home-brew approach off the "McGuyver" TV show. How do you copy Bel Air 39.34 from there....if you even monitor it? I get a great signal....and maybe it is my imagination, but it seems to have improved in the last year. Perhaps when all the 800 upgrades were ongoing, the low band towers (for simulcasting) were changed in some way?

doctordave

Suddenly, in the 8 pm hour tonight, "G" is booming again....guess they had some transient tower and/or radio issues on their end.

mlevin

Dave, since moving to the trunk, Belair comes in about 3 by 5 with the same setup. Before that I never picked up anything.

I also get Waterloo 5 by 5 and the Glen Burnie Dispatcher 5 by 5. It's also not uncommon for me to get the trooper side of the conversation on the Glen Burnie freq. It's scratchy but it comes in. Of course the Golden Ring and the HQ freqs just about blow me out of the chair.

On a side note, I was getting the Centerville (Barrack S) dispatcher 5 by 5 today, when I've not heard a peep out of them in the past.

doctordave

Yep, Centreville has been coming in better for me, as well, lately. Their Centreville tower (behind the barrack) is not very tall at all....much like Golden Ring or Glen Burnie, so range is usually a bit limited. No doubt, you will hear them better whenever they key up the transmitter on the very tall Chestertown tower.

doctordave

Hmmm....isolated poor reception of 39.52 is back tonight. Anyone else experiencing this again?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Time to check the coax and connectors; water leakage can do strange things to RF and nasty stuff to coax...73s Mike

doctordave

It's actually a stable, in-attic antenna system. Problem is specific to 39.52 - other & more distant barracks are still booming.

Status
Not open for further replies.