Anne Arundel Tone Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

k3ask

Hi,

Does anyone have a current copy of the AA Fire Department tone table they could PM me?

Thanks

-Andrew

Llwellyn

Jeez, wadeless28, you are the man today! I've been lookin' for that for a long time; never knew someone would have had it, or I would have asked a lot sooner!

Do you have the tones for the final tones also? The one that finalizes the call and tells you what type it is?

Llwellyn

I noticed that a few of them are out of date due to changes made to accomodate the new medic units and TRO's, but the rest of it seemed pretty accurate... I ran it through a tone generator and they sound mostly correct... I'll have to grab some audio off of 154.01 and see if I can match 'em up.

Admin0140434

Llwellyn said:
I noticed that a few of them are out of date due to changes made to accomodate the new medic units and TRO's, but the rest of it seemed pretty accurate... I ran it through a tone generator and they sound mostly correct... I'll have to grab some audio off of 154.01 and see if I can match 'em up.

dont get me wrong... they are valid tones, just not used in AACo no more

for example...
stations 14, 15, and 16 no longer exist, and tones for station 30 are not on there... like i said... the county doesnt use anything above 500... and unfortunatly... im not allowed to publish the tones

Llwellyn

For the record, the table may be out of date, but at least some of the information is valid. I've personally verified tonight that two of the stations were correct, and will be checking more and keeping an up-to-date list. The tone of 600.9Hz is correct in the chart... and for half the units in the battalions, their secondary tones are higher than the primary. You don't get much time to play though, as the time intervals of the tones are very small... it would probably be hard to use this information for "bad things" due to the precision of the equipment versus what you can do with a consumer grade audio setup on the computer.

wadeless28

Well Admin you are right about 14, 15 and such. But I dont think the fire tones for each station have changed much since the county changed over in the mid-eighties.

And for everyone else. I will get an updated list from my contacts. Since it is commercially available when you by minitor pagers.

Mike

Admin0140434

Llwellyn said:
For the record, the table may be out of date, but at least some of the information is valid. I've personally verified tonight that two of the stations were correct, and will be checking more and keeping an up-to-date list. The tone of 600.9Hz is correct in the chart... and for half the units in the battalions, their secondary tones are higher than the primary. You don't get much time to play though, as the time intervals of the tones are very small... it would probably be hard to use this information for "bad things" due to the precision of the equipment versus what you can do with a consumer grade audio setup on the computer.

keep us updated, because people ive talked to at fire alarm have told me differently. id like to see an updated list when you have it please

also, didnt mean to sound like i was bashing towards anyone...

Llwellyn

Nope, no bashing inferred; more of a "this is not public info, I'm covering my ***" kind of mood :lol:

I will repost the info when I get a few more stations done; it may be awhile on some of them, especially the special units, as I have to wait for them to get a call to be able to have something to compare against. Also, some of the stations definitely have changed, reference an earlier post by myself for more info; and there are a couple of stations that have more than one set of tones. It takes about 5 minutes per set of tones to lock them down and get them identified; my soundcard is crappy therefore my frequency counter isn't as accurate as it should be; I have to play the tone I think matches and compare it against the recorded tone by ear until I find the right one.

Slightly tedious, but fun! :lol:
If I wasn't broke, it'd be pretty easy as I could have some actual test equipment to play with. Still, the problem remains though of having a large enough sample to work with of the tone; I've been using a wave editor that can lock a 10ms loop and play it constantly.

Admin0140434

Llwellyn said:
more of a "this is not public info, I'm covering my ***" kind of mood

please understand my position here... if i do post what i can get my hands on, the cheif of the dept will chew me a new one... so i gotta be careful what i say, where i say it, and when i say it. :D

wadeless28

No problem Admin. . Their are different sources to obtain this information. There is a source I can use to get it commercially. I just have to get ahold of them.

They are easy to obtain manually as Llwellyn demonstrates. You just need to know how to do it. I've listened to those station tones for so many years, I can tell you what each station's tone is as they sound.

What was funny. In the days before the trunked radio system, we had a Firefighter that could vocally imitate our tone and the tones of certain other stations. We would remove the antenna of the portables and open their base-sets up at night and Fire Alarm would never know. Well at least untill now. Oh, the pratical jokes we play.

Mike

Admin0140434

wadeless28 said:
What was funny. In the days before the trunked radio system, we had a Firefighter that could vocally imitate our tone and the tones of certain other stations. We would remove the antenna of the portables and open their base-sets up at night and Fire Alarm would never know. Well at least untill now. Oh, the pratical jokes we play.

:D ill just pretend i didnt see this remark :D

im the same way, could tell you what each station is, what kind of box it is... etc etc

Llwellyn

I've been working on these some more, I swear it's like taking an hour-long hearing test! I'm gonna be hearing tones in my sleep!!!

It's difficult to decode the tones from larger incidents, oddly, because the order of paging changes. It's very easy when it's one station's call, when you start getting larger than that it is easily confused. Also, each station apparently has two separate sets of tones; plus they have a group call tone that will activate as well. Some stations also have a third set of tones that were added to support the Medic units... it's pretty chaotic!

For instance, an additional call on the 36-3 box tonight had four sets of tones for two pieces of apparatus. The call before that for the 36-3 box had seven sets of tones, for five apparatus. It's going to take a lot of logging to pin some of these down. Couple that with the fact that some apparatus is NEVER on a first-due call, and you can see it's probably gonna make me crazy :lol:

wadeless28

Seperate tones for EMS units

I never could understand that. Hey Admin. why do they still blow the fire tones for each station when just the "ems unit" (PM, MU, Ambo) is dispatched? It seems like a waste of ahhhh, Tones? LoL.

I heard orginally that it was for the volunteer stations that have "ems units". And you could set your pagers up for EMS or fire. But it seems kind of a waste now if they blow both tones.

I have never had heard a straight answer.

Mike

Llwellyn

Well, some if it makes a little bit of sense. Most of the stations have a set of "2nd call" tones which are almost never used; some of the other stations like 13 and 28 now have two or three sets of tones that get used a lot.

After listening to the traffic a little closer, it seems like on any call for additional apparatus or any call that calls a station with multiple tones, the tones for the first due piece are sounded at the end of the call. This may be a requirement of the equipment, or simply protocol.

For instance, the three above examples:

the four-set 36-3 call called, in order: station 3; station 40; station 17's first set; station 36.

the second call, for PM35: station 35, station 36.

the first long call that I mentioned called, in order: Station 2; BC3; unknown secondary set; station 29; B35 all call; B35 long tone; station 36.

In case I didn't mention it, the pieces named out loud, in order; were Engine 172, Squad 2, BC3, Special Operations 35, and FM760.

So, as you can see, the tones aren't always in the order in which the apparatus are to respond, either that or fire alarm doesn't always verbally read them in the order they are to respond.

I've got almost half of them done; they actually make some semblance of sense if you look at the Moto reed tones vs. the actual frequencies. A lot of the original stations inside the battalions are in reed tone numerical order. I'm gonna set my recorder while I'm at work and class today, and hopefully I can get a lot of the rest of them figured out.

Admin0140434

Re: Seperate tones for EMS units

wadeless28 said:
Hey Admin. why do they still blow the fire tones for each station when just the "ems unit" (PM, MU, Ambo) is dispatched? It seems like a waste of tones?

I heard orginally that it was for the volunteer stations that have "ems units". And you could set your pagers up for EMS or fire. But it seems kind of a waste now if they blow both tones.

I have never had heard a straight answer.

the first tone is the battalion tone that the station is in (refer to the xls chart at the top of this thread). the second tone is the station's tone.

wadeless28

You missed my point Admin.
Some stations have multiple tones. I.E. 28 has a tone (or two tones, depending how you want to look at it) for fire. And then a tone (or two) for the EMS side. Other stations are the same way.

To me its a waste, because whenever a medical box is dispatched, both in and out of the first-due area, both station tones are used. It sucks to be in the station and here the base-set open twice for the same call.

Beep-Beep..........Beep-Beep. We get just a little punchy with this new base-set. Hey one good thing. You dont have to get up to reset it though. Especially when you on the truck. Truckies only get up for fires!!!

Hopefully I explained it better.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.