Anne Arundel County

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just wondering if the county is digital because I am going to take a trip down there this summer and I would like to listen to them.

Llwellyn

Nope, you're lucky for now. At some point in the future, they're gonna flip the switch and it's going to be digital... for now, everything except a few select enforcement talkgroups is totally analog trunked. Fire department simulcasting on 154.010 and 154.280.

mlevin

Depending on where you're staying in AACo, you might want to program the Baltimore Co. trunk as well as the Baltimore City FD VHF simulcast freqs and the PG Co. freqs. Just about everything else in the area is digital. Enjoy your stay! :)

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Without knowing where you'll be in Annapolis it's hard to say (along with what scanner/antenna you're bringing). However, in general, if you're close to downtown and old Annapolis, the buildings are likely going to shield you out from Baltimore city and much of PG county, particularly on a standard duckie. If you're more toward the Academy area, I don't think you'll have much trouble with Baltimore city, and insofar as PG is concerned (the PDs anyway), the Bowie and Palmer Park districts would most likely be your best bet. You shouldn't have much trouble with the FD, particularly the North side frequencies. The South side might be a bit of a stretch.

Duckies can only do so much, after all.

73s Mike

Admin0140434

i think he was asking about baltimore COUNTY... but in case he wasnt, ill just chime in anyway...

baltimore county will be hard to pick up anyway, i live in northern aaco and can barely pick it up...

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yeah, Balt county is most defintely a stretch even when you're close to the line, as I am. I was tailoring my answer for the City 800 system.

73s Mike

mlevin

I was under the impression that he only had analog capabilities, which is why I mentioned the Baltimore VHF freqs. If he has a digital scanner that openes up a whole new can of worms.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yep, sure does. Digital is very unkind when you start talking about weak signal areas; either you got it or you don't. But since the original poster hasn't said what he was bringing - you'll notice I asked - I assumed - and yes, I know what that means :D - he has a digital scanner. It does sound like he doesn't, however.

Still the Baltimore city VHF stuff becomes dicey when you are in downtown Annapolis. I hope he knows about some of the extended duckies - it will improve his chances somewhat.

Oh well.....73s Mike

sorry I forgot to say what scanner I will be using I will be bringing my pro-95, but I will possibly have a 96 by then

mlevin

If you have a 96 when you come, email me at moisheli@yahoo.com and I'll email you my .p96 file that I use for the area. It'll have everything you need. Of course you'll have to register win96 and get a programming cable first. :)

JLHDU

Since digital hasn't happend yet, I'm safe with the BC 246T?

I'm in Odenton....I'm wondering what I should expect to hear?

troymail

Silent Key
AA County - don't need digital right now but if youre buying a new unit, you should probably consider a digital capable because it probably won't be all that long...

I live in Severn just south of BWI Airport and I have a REALLY hard time hearing (consistantly) Baltimore City - and even Howard County. It doesn't help that they are digital.

Funny thing is that, from my location - which is closer to Baltimore than the District of Columbia - I get DC pretty well and clear from my location....

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
JLHDU said:
Since digital hasn't happend yet, I'm safe with the BC 246T?
I'm in Odenton....I'm wondering what I should expect to hear?

Without knowing a bit more about your situation, I'm going to have to hazard a few things;

- That duckie is going to be a real problem. You will almost certainly need something better. Right now, you're probably limited to AA county, the BWI approach/Departure stuff (you might even hear the tower, ground and clearance deliveries - I have been hearing them much better lately, and it's possible they've gotten new antennas or transmitters. In fact, I can even hear them on my 245 - albeit scratchy - in my car in the middle of Woodlawn), perhaps the Baltimore city VHF fire/ems freqs, Howard and Montgomery fire dispatch.
Getting a better antenna will more than likely bring in PG county North's EDACS system, maybe even the DC fire/police VHF rebroadcasts, and MAYBE Md State Police Waterloo and Glen Burnie barracks. MAYBE you might even hear the MSP College Park barracks. MSP units generally work in a 39 Mhz simplex (not repeated) mode, tho sometimes, if you're close enough, you can hear the 155.73 portables frequency.
- Unfortunately the 246 isn't UHF milair capable, but it's perfectly capable of hearing the VHF milair (138-144 mhz) stuff we hear and report on the milair sticky in this forum. Again, a better antenna will be a big help.
- The 246 isn't digital; so hearing the Ft Meade, Howard, Montgomery and Baltimore city systems is out. Same with hearing DC Fire/Police.

By the way, with the exception of the milair stuff (some of that is in the milair wiki), you will find ALL of the freqs for what I just mentioned in the RR database.
Here's the wiki page for the 246. The Scannerbase software is free....

Let us know more about your interests and situation 73s Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.