local supply for scanners other than Radio Shack

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcool69

I found this site a couple of days ago and have been reading everything that I can. What a tremendous resource!

I have been out of the hobby for 5 years. I got out when my Old BC100 finally died. I had a moment of silence for it and tossed it. It is hard to believe that was 5 years ago.

Anyway, I am in the market for a new scanner and will probably get a 396. My question for the locals (Balt City home, Glen Burney work), are there any local (within an hour or so) sellers in the area? I would love to put my hands on a few radios before I shell out 500 or so bones.

Llwellyn

Ham Radio Outlet in New Castle, Delaware. It's right off of all of the major highways. They'd probably let you stick your hands on anything you wanted to if they don't have a display model out already. Also, since it's DE, no sales tax. I'm not sure if they have the 396's yet or not.

www.hamradio.com

As far as other local shops, there aren't many, and none that I'm aware of. I know a couple exist, hopefully the other members can help you out.

TinEar

MTC Communications is in Maryland somewhere. Run by a guy named Mike that posted to the Scan-DC list a month or so ago that he was building a waiting list for when the 396 came out. I know nothing else about them. Here's his email address:
"MTC Communications" <mtcomm@erols.com>

Alan

mlevin

Check the yellow pages. I remeber calling a place downtown on Light Street when the BC250D first came out. I can't remember their name though.

TinEar

I just checked the Uniden store on the off chance they might have them. They don't. I did order a digital card though at less than half the price the dealers are selling them for. I noticed they also sell the BC796 for $450 these days.

Concrete1

Be careful, the Uniden Store is selling Refurbished 796's for 450, NOT new ones.
Their wording is misleading, but re-check, & you will see something like "Like NEw" or similar....
With the exception of accessories , they generally Do not sell brand new, unopened scanners, they leave that to the dealer network.

wadeless28

mlevin said:
Check the yellow pages. I remeber calling a place downtown on Light Street when the BC250D first came out. I can't remember their name though.

Was that Poptronics? 1100 block of Light Street. I didnt know they were still around. Did you get any results from them?

Mike

TinEar

That must be even before my time. I only remember Big Daddy's place selling marine electronics, CBs and whever else was popular in electronics at the time. Two-Guys must be even older. Was Two-Guys the place that sold those smoke signal generators to the new breed of Colonialists to communicate with the natives?

wadeless28

Nah. They sold the paint for the hieroglyphics we used to communicate before we came out of the caves. :wink:

Hey now, I'm only getting ready to celebrate the 10 anniversary of my 29th birthday next month. I ain't that old. :roll:

troymail

Silent Key
Baynesville Electronics in Towson (Joppa Road) has some...
last time I was there, they had BC-296's.... I'm sure they
had other models as well... but beware.... the price was $200
more than any mailorder site I'd come across...

pcool69

Thanks for all of the quick replies.

The guy that answered the phone at ham radio outlet had never heard of the 396. I will probably end up ordering one online and am waiting until a few more people get them in their hands and provide some feedback.

mlevin

wadeless28 said:
mlevin said:

Was that Poptronics? 1100 block of Light Street. I didnt know they were still around. Did you get any results from them?

Mike

Yes it was! I wound up not buying it from them because at the time they were offering the BC250D for some 800 big ones. I said no thank you, and ordered from scanner master. Ultimatey I got burned because the price dropped 9 months later when the 296D came out, but I needed to hear Baltimore City right then, I couldn't wait any longer... :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.