Ghosting on FOX 5/75

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanXTS

Has anyone else noticed ghosting on channel 75 (comcast) or channel 5 (broadcast)? It seems to be consistantly bad. I have comcast and all the other channels come in crystal.

RyanXTS

Any clue as to why it would only ghost on the one channel?

EDIT: It's a ghost of UPN 24

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Whether it be via antenna or cable, ghosting usually occurs because a signal is coming to the receiver via 2 paths, one is taking a touch longer to arrive so it is received and shown but in a manner that is undesirable. Perhaps there is a cabling problem if this is via cable where there is some signal bleed in the path somewhere. Yeah, I know, you'd expect to see more than one channel do this then; I don't have that answer.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
It's called Ingress and bryans explanation of it is correct. The off air channels are getting into your cables and mixing with the cable signal. Ghosting will only occur on channels that can be received over the air.

Check for "push-on" jumpers. They are the number one cause of ingress. Make sure you have all the screw on types. Make sure all your connectors are tight. If all else fails, call you cable company. They have a "leak detector" that will take them right to the problem.

Also, some TV's have what's called "direct pickup" Which means the off air signal is coming right into the back of your TV. If this is the case, just use the tuner in your VCR, or add a cable box.

I am not sure how your cable company works, but ours has no charge for this as we have to do yearly FCC Mandated tests on our system looking for leakage or CLI. When we find it coming from a home, we fix it no charge

There is a chance, all be it a small one, that it is coming from the systems hardline. If this is the case, they should not charge you, but yet credit your account.

Hope this helps... :)

RyanXTS

Thanks for the tips, it turned out to be an old nintendo RF adapter.

/feels stupid.
//at least i didn't call comast and have a tech come out.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Are you saying that some kind of adapter was left hanging off of one of your inputs to the TV? Not quite sure what you mean.

RyanXTS

I have one of the old original NES systems, the RF adapter was inline to the tv, I will just have to use the RCA inputs instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.