Shuttle Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

CryptoJoe

I was about to say, QSL on the static, but then I realized that this wasn’t a ham board. So, I heard a lot of “static myself here in Frederick, sounded like a really bad FM carrier with no audio. It could have just been my radio, or some local intermod, anyone else been listening to 147.45?

Joe

Boomeranger

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
md_p97 said:
I have plugged in 147.4500, but all I am getting is static.....anyone have a good frequency for today's launch?

I'm near Philadelphia and I'm picking up the shuttle and mission control on 224.18.

All the best,

Andy

CryptoJoe

Any audio in on that carrier? Or is it just a dead carrier? (147.45)

TNX
Joe

CryptoJoe

Any audio in on that carrier? Or is it just a dead carrier? (147.45)

Well, when you heard it at least?

TNX
Joe

ScanManQSL

Premium Subscriber
QTH: Montgomery County, MD / Washington, DC
Goddard Space Flight Center (WA3NAN)

Has anyone tried listening on the other frequencies from Goddard Space Flight Center (WA3NAN)?

WA3NAN 147.45 28.650 21.395 14.295 7.185 3.860

http://www.ksc.nasa.gov/facts/faq07.html (one page up from the very bottom)
147.45, 28.65am and 21.395am all have been quiet on my end. I dont have HF capabilities to monitor 14.295 7.185 3.860

-Ben-

twolf816

i dont have a scanner capable of those freqs. :( but it is possible that the reason that your not hearing it because its on the other side of the world. watch nasa tv or stream it and they show exactly where the shuttle is in relation to the globe.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
" but it is possible that the reason that your not hearing it because its on the other side of the world."

No, the 259.x freq's are only used when the shuttle is taking off and/or landing.

- Rob

CryptoJoe

One thing that might be tough for scanners is Doppler. The shuttle is moving at about 17,000 MPH, this actually causes the frequency to shift as the shuttle is approaching and moving away from your location.

I tired to use my scanner to pick up the AO-51 ham satellite and had limited success because the scanner couldn’t tune up and down just few kHz from the center frequency, the step on the 440 ham band was configured for 12.5khz. If the satellite was going to be visible for 20 minutes, I could probably only hear it for 4 or 5 minutes because of that, and the fact that scanners aren’t the most sensitive receivers on the market.

Who knows, the shuttle’s transmitter might compensate for Doppler, but I doubt it, it would be much easier for the ground stations to deal with it when receiving.

Status
Not open for further replies.