legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SD

Hi,
I just ordered my first scanner it's a Uniden BCD396T. I think I read somewhere in some states it may be illegal to crusie around with a scanner in your car. It does not make sense to me that it would be illegal, but I figured I better ask. I live in AA county, I am from San Diego so I am not really familiar with the laws out here. Anyone know if there are any legal issues with having a scanner in your car? I won't have it with me much, just if I am bored or if I think it's possible I could "drift above the speed limit".

Thanks, SD

SD

CapitalPunishment said:
what part of anne arundel county?

yes, it is legal.

Edgewater, near yellowfin :) Thanks everyone for answering my question. Let's just hope I can figure out how to work the thing ;)

SD

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Re the 396; there's numerous ways to get help in working with that new scanner. Apart from the 396 threads in the Uniden forum, there's a little information on Strong Signals, and an active Yahoo group devoted to it. No doubt between all of this, you'll have it working in no time.

If you're looking for something that's not in the RRDB, just yell; someone here is very likely to have the info for which you're looking. Also keep this page handy - lots of valuable reference links, as well as links for our area....

Capitol Hill Monitors

Between TinEar, myself and a few others, I think we can populate 6000 channels, don't you? :p

73s Mike

P.S. While you're waiting, you might want to download the UASD software, the Scannerbase AVC396 and Clone396 software and set that up. I'd also suggest sitting down with your favorite spreadsheet program (Excel, Works, ect.) and start laying out what you want to use. Remember, there are no 'banks'; you allocate your memory from a 6000 channel memory. I intend to do likewise when I order my 396, and I expect that setting things up ahead of time is going to be a big help. And don't forget ARC396 from BuTel...

Here are the URLs to start 'building your toolbox'...

ARC396
Note that there's a Yahoo support group for this software, and Clone396 is available as a link off this page

Scannerbase 396
Note that this software is geared toward control, not programming

Uniden UASD for 396

Scan Control is in the process of beta testing their version 5.0 software which will include support for the 396. Typically they start with the programming end of things first, then when that settles down, concentrate on the control side. It'll be a couple of weeks yet before it's released to the public, AFAIK. I believe Jim Springer (Scancat) is also working on their software for 396 compatibility.

Last edited:

Admin0140434

also, if you download the UASD software, i would suggest signing up for the 396 yahoo group... there is a Maryland Emergency File in the works by our good friend NINN27 (noted to be complete by Nov 2005)

SD

Thanks everyone. I am still waiting for the thing to get here. I ordered it last week and saw they did not charge my credit card so I called to see what was up and they said it was back ordered :( I guess they are popular. They said they are getting some by the end of the week so I should have it sometime next week I hope. Can't wait ! By the way are any agencies in AA county using encryption or talking about it?

SD

SD

You guys think I could pick up any DC stuff or is it to far?

SD

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Let me ask a counter-question - are you planning to erect any antennas? On just a duckie, it's going to be dicey at best to hear DC. Park Police should be easy, and maybe the fire and police VHF rebroadcasts from DC, but anything else is likely to be somewhat problematic. 73s Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.