RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Maryland Radio Discussion Forum

Maryland Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Maryland.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandterpan View Post
So ll I Need To Do Is Leave Everything the same On the 106 as say, 6 Months Ago, But Change the system To 25manual?!?
I Was Going Nutts For The Past Week!! R.R Rox Baby!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-04-2012, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneH View Post
damorg5623,

Please stop posting to this thread. I'm sorry but your issue is off-topic. If you need help with programming your scanner for a specific system or agency please create your own thread in this forum. Do not "Reply" to an existing thread. If you need help with general use or programming of the scanner please create a thread in the RadioShack forum. If none of the above apply then create a thread in General Scanning.

If you are having trouble with using the scanner after getting it back from ScannerMaster I would recommend calling them.
So Why not Just Say Bmore City Scanning Is Dead, Give Up!!
Old 11-08-2012, 4:50 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

The city apparently changed their radio control frequency to 853.737 this afternoon. This frequency is NOT yet in the RR database. I have sent it in as a submission. You MUST add this frequency or you will NOT hear anything.
Old 11-09-2012, 2:55 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Frequencies have changed AGAIN! They can be found here: Baltimore City 800 MHZ
Old 11-09-2013, 9:28 PM

Over time, has anyone developed any specific settings or tweaks to their scanners that further allow them to receive the city? Example, My Pro-197 has a bunch of expert settings. Anyone know of any tweaks to them that will work?
Sponsored links
Old 11-09-2013, 10:36 PM
Wiki Admin Emeritus
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Since the county and city use the same kind of system, with exactly the same kinds of issues, this article about programming the Baltimore county system is relevant

Programming the Baltimore County (P25) System - The RadioReference Wiki

However this comes with a caveat. There's no magic bullet to make the reception clearer. The issue is based on the fact that, in many cases, you are receiving a signal from more than one tower at the same time. Most of the consumer scanners simply can't deal with this very well; one scannist's solution may work for him/her, but not for you, simply because you're in a different area being served by that system. It's trial and error at best, until someone comes up with a firmware fix to handle LSM better than what we have so far. At this point, that's all I can offer, save this article which describes what I just said in greater detail

Simulcast digital distortion - The RadioReference Wiki

I would take the time to read through this thread (yes, it's 11 pages - speed read) and see what others have tried. Just be aware that it's never going to be perfect

HTH...Mike
Old 11-21-2013, 5:44 PM

Noticed an update in the database for the city, looks like it had something to do with the CC's. Does anyone know what changed exactly? Suddenly my Pro-197 has a lot less distortion, Which is great because I am in Dundalk and have been plagued with issues when trying to listen in the past. Hoping it's not temporary.
Old 11-21-2013, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividvisions View Post
Noticed an update in the database for the city, looks like it had something to do with the CC's. Does anyone know what changed exactly? Suddenly my Pro-197 has a lot less distortion, Which is great because I am in Dundalk and have been plagued with issues when trying to listen in the past. Hoping it's not temporary.
It was just an update to current based on what Pro96Com reported (and now appears to match the license data on FCC). It looks like the last frequency update/change made was a year ago (I think they rebanded at that time) and it appears the RR information was only partially updated.

I don't think anything really changed that would have affected your reception.... but fingers crossed, it stays good for you.
Old 12-02-2013, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymail View Post
It was just an update to current based on what Pro96Com reported (and now appears to match the license data on FCC). It looks like the last frequency update/change made was a year ago (I think they rebanded at that time) and it appears the RR information was only partially updated.

I don't think anything really changed that would have affected your reception.... but fingers crossed, it stays good for you.
I'm thinking I changed a setting that made it work better. DIG AGC turned to ON seems to make a 90% improvement in reception. I can now listen to the city & county system from Dundalk with little, little, problems.

Does anyone know how often the Detectives/Homicide channel on the city system is used? TG 9117
Sponsored links
Old 12-07-2013, 10:21 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
I'm thinking I changed a setting that made it work better. DIG AGC turned to ON seems to make a 90% improvement in reception. I can now listen to the city & county system from Dundalk with little, little, problems.

Does anyone know how often the Detectives/Homicide channel on the city system is used? TG 9117
Where in the settings did you find that particular setting ?

I have Pro-106 and would like to try to change it on mine to see how it affects reception with the simulcast problem.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratzert View Post
Where in the settings did you find that particular setting ?

I have Pro-106 and would like to try to change it on mine to see how it affects reception with the simulcast problem.
I believe that setting can be accessed by editing the baltimore city system settings. Pretty sure you can keep scrolling until you see expert settings and it's under that category.

My problem before was audio was cutting out and only allowing 1 or 2 words to be decoded. After changing DIG AGC to ON, I was able to fully monitor the 2nd alarm fatal fire in the city the other day with very little garble or lost transmissions. Almost perfect. Some nights it works better then others.
Old 12-07-2013, 9:35 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
I believe that setting can be accessed by editing the baltimore city system settings. Pretty sure you can keep scrolling until you see expert settings and it's under that category.

My problem before was audio was cutting out and only allowing 1 or 2 words to be decoded. After changing DIG AGC to ON, I was able to fully monitor the 2nd alarm fatal fire in the city the other day with very little garble or lost transmissions. Almost perfect. Some nights it works better then others.
Thanks for the info.... I'll check it out and see if I have some luck with it too.

Regards
Old 12-08-2013, 10:29 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

This setting? I turned it on, it seems to have made a difference while stationary, I just need an excuse to take the scanner on the road and test it...
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2013, 11:04 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spleen View Post
This setting? I turned it on, it seems to have made a difference while stationary, I just need an excuse to take the scanner on the road and test it...

Hi Spleen

Thanks a lot for the picture... now I know exactly where to look and will be sure to change the proper setting.

Regards
Old 12-08-2013, 1:56 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I was just guessing....let me know if it works...
Sponsored links
Old 12-14-2013, 8:09 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I'm in Parkville and unfortunately the City and County sound garbled on my RS PRO-106. Anne Arundel, Harford, and Howard are fine.
Old 12-14-2013, 8:20 PM
Wiki Admin Emeritus
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Read the last few messages in this thread - setting the Digital AGC on might help you too

Mike
Old 12-16-2013, 4:47 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I apologize in advance for being a novice and a lurker. I live in Canton and listen to Baltimore City fire using a PRO-2096 programmed using Win96. I see the references to Win500 which looks like a different product. I don't see any reference to AGC in Win96. Is it likely that I can reduce intermittent noises and improve the quality by going to Win500? It appears that it will work with my scanner.

thanks
Frank

Last edited by fburrows; 12-16-2013 at 5:11 PM..
Old 12-16-2013, 5:26 PM
Wiki Admin Emeritus
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

No Win500 only works with the object oriented scanners, and the 96 is not one of them.

We do however have a pic from member fmon about using Win96 for the city system here...

Programming the Baltimore City System - The RadioReference Wiki

It's a tough system to hear well...Mike
Old 12-17-2013, 3:04 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Almost forgot I had this file...I had to re-do it after the reband for some of my internal customers who still use 96s. Might be a bit easier to read. You can ignore all the other conventional entries, just make sure you have the four at the top...only. Don't enter any of the other system frequencies, just the control channels.
There's no AGC for the 96s, and no Multisite Mode selector. The only thing you can mess with that might have any effect is the Attenuation settings.
Attached Images