Anne Arundel

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayveedub

Whats up with aa county, 2 or 3 days ago my scanner began playing non-stop noise from tg to tg. i updated them and all that stuff but still it finds static and stays on that tg forever.

TinEar

Not a bit of a problem with Anne Arundel County here. No static, no noise, not anything out of the ordinary. Perhaps something local to you is causing it. Is it only AA County with the problem? How about other trunked systems?

rayveedub

yeah it seems that the problem is anne arundel. i have a beam antenna pointing from glenn dale md to anne arundel and it has always been distorted now it is much worst and i get non-stop static. maybe i should try it from my baltimore location and put my howard county scanner down down at glen dale. let me know what you think

TinEar

The first thing I think I'd try is to get off the beam and onto an omni-directional antenna. You really shouldn't have any problem from Glenn Dale. Before moving to Glen Burnie, I lived in the Pointer Ridge section of Bowie which sits in a valley and had no trouble with AA even with just the radio whip. The side rejection on the beam you're using might just be blocking out the strongest portion of the AA County signal. I'd try that first.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
JLHDU said:
Do you know of anything special I can pick-up in Odenton, MD?

This should really be a new thread, but ...

Without knowing a bit more about your situation, I'm going to have to hazard a few things;

- That duckie is going to be a real problem. You will almost certainly need something better. Right now, you're probably limited to AA county, the BWI approach/Departure stuff (you might even hear the tower, ground and clearance deliveries - I have been hearing them much better lately, and it's possible they've gotten new antennas or transmitters. In fact, I can even hear them on my 245 - albeit scratchy - in my car in the middle of Woodlawn), perhaps the Baltimore city VHF fire/ems freqs, Howard and Montgomery fire dispatch.
Getting a better antenna will more than likely bring in PG county North's EDACS system, maybe even the DC fire/police VHF rebroadcasts, and MAYBE Md State Police Waterloo and Glen Burnie barracks. MAYBE you might even hear the MSP College Park barracks. MSP units generally work in a 39 Mhz simplex (not repeated) mode, tho sometimes, if you're close enough, you can hear the 155.73 portables frequency.
- Unfortunately the 246 isn't UHF milair capable, but it's perfectly capable of hearing the VHF milair (138-144 mhz) stuff we hear and report on the milair sticky in this forum. Again, a better antenna will be a big help.
- The 246 isn't digital; so hearing the Ft Meade, Howard, Montgomery and Baltimore city systems is out. Same with hearing DC Fire/Police.

By the way, with the exception of the milair stuff (some of that is in the milair wiki), you will find ALL of the freqs for what I just mentioned in the RR database.
Here's the wiki page for the 246. The Scannerbase software is free....

Let us know more about your interests and situation 73s Mike

Dank

PG North EDACS

Mike,
Not to go too far off subject regarding what can be heard from Odenton, but can you pick up the PG North EDACS freqs. I have them in my radio, and the talk groups from the RRDB, but nevcer pick up activity.

Thanks,
Dan

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
To be honest, I haven't programmed that system into my 245 in some time, even tho I've built the file in Scan Control to do it. Rumor has it that the system is used for certain tac activities during the eves and weekends...and yes, when I did, I heard them. I haven't listened in a while, so I don't know if they're still there. I used to work in that area. 73s Mike

TinEar

I have the freqs programmed in conventional mode for the Northern PG EDACS system (because I don't have room for another trunked system) but I can tell you the system is generally busy and is received very well here in Glen Burnie. Because of the way I copy it, I can't give you any info on the talkgroups and whether what's in the database is accurate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.