DNR/NRP Unit ID's Changing Format

Status
Not open for further replies.

skipshark773

I was just informed that the DNR has revamped its unit identificiation system for the SFPS and NRP. Instead of the old 2 part unit ID's where the park unit was the first identifier and the unit number the last (for example 41-20 as a Gunpowder Falls SP unit. 41 representing Gunpowder Falls and 20 representing the individual unit number) the identifiers will follow this 3 digit format.

1st identifier: Region/Area
2nd identifier: Land Unit/Division
3rd identifier: ID number
If the unit is a Park Service Employee (formerly read: Ranger) then the number will be prefaced by the word 'Park'.

Example: Park 550 would be a Patapsco Valley SP unit. Whereas 550 (without the 'park' in front of it) would be a Central Region NRP unit.

As of January 2006 the DNR will no longer be employing any Law Enforcement Rangers and all Law Enforcement responsibility for Maryland's State Parks, Forests, Wildlife Management Areas, and Public Lands will be assumed by the Natural Resource Police. There will remain 36 Commissioned Law Enforcement Rangers in the SFPS due to a grandfathering clause placed into the Memorandum of Understanding. These Rangers are either Park Manager Rangers or of a rank above Cpl.. All park operations will be assumed by civilian personnel after January 2006.

[edit]: I have also been informed that there are no changes (at this time) in the frequencies used by either agency. Except that NRP has switched to UHF Mobile Repeaters.

Last edited:

TinEar

Thanks for that info. So Mike...they not only own half the VHF freqs in existence, now we have to find the UHF repeater freqs. I don't suppose anyone has any idea which part of the UHF spectrum they're using?

skipshark773

Haha, DNR is taking over every band available to them. My contact didnt mention any exact frequencies for the new UHF mobile extenders or when they would be put in use. It sounds like the plan is still in the works. I would guess this would all take effect on or probably around Jan 2006 when their law enforcement merger is complete. In the mean time, some detective work in the FCC ULS has turned up this licence WPWY922, which is issued to the Maryland DNR for mobile/vehecular repeaters. It may be worth a listen.

[edit]: subsequent searches also uncovered WQBB983 which are low power UHF. WPYT222 also was discovered and grants licences for VHF Narrowband frequencies to the DNR. WQBJ764 also granted licence for several VHF Narrowband frequencies, these were the ones that we were monitoring previously with only key ups on them. WQAM220 gives the DNR a majority of the old Howard County VHF frequecies. It is not known what their plan for this stock of both VHF and UHF frequecies is nor would their current radio equipment be able to support it.

Last edited:

TinEar

Thanks Mike. That's sufficient information to be able to put it all together once they begin the changes. It's quite obvious they've embraced the narrowband concept when you look into those license specifics.
By the way, you'd enjoy conditions here today. FDNY is sounding local and it's just after noon. Usually, they begin to fade away by 10 a.m. no matter how good the conditions are. Not today.

skipshark773

ha, it figures that conditions would be at their best when im not there. good luck matching that DNR mess of frequencies up. The new numbering system should help you out a bit since it follows an easier format.

Status
Not open for further replies.