HF Rig Sales in MD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctordave

The postings on storm-related HF comms have captured my interest. Are there any dealers of HF receivers (or tranceivers, even) in the Baltimore area? A google search turns up one in Northern DE & one in Laurel, MD. Anything closer? Am aware of the low-end options at such places as Radio Shack. Thanks.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Hmm, I would check HRO Wilmington first. No sales tax, right?
Let us know at what rig you are looking - maybe there's a better price out there....73s Mike

[edit] Naturally the next question has to be antennas and/or software; when you get to that point, yell - I've been living in condos for the last 20 years and have tried several different designs. There are also a few antennas links on the Wikis, and I'll be adding more shortly. They can, at least, give you something to start you thinking....which might be dangerous :D

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
OHMYGOD - you have a R390 and it's sitting around doing nothing??? It's never too late for that, Al. Of course, you would build up some really strong arms tuning that main dial....

By the way, if you're interested in doing some wholesale revamping and updating on that rx, Chuck Rippel WA4HHG has (had?) a wonderful website on the subject. RadioIntel has it, I'm sure. 73s Mike

TinEar

I've spent many hours spinning that dial Mike. I even have the sideband converter for it and a nice half rack that it all sits in. Before that, I even had an SP-600 but got rid of it when I got the 390. That's all ancient gear but fantastic stuff.

n3bxv

Ahhh...R-390s and little green huts on the backs of trucks, who needed a heater in the winter.....
If that makes sense to you, you're as warped as I am. Get the EMHO report newbee....

TinEar

Space shuttle? I wish. Bet it would have been more comfortable - and spacious - if only it had been thought of, let alone built. I used to look at those green huts and wish for so much room. They seemed like the Hilton by comparison.

doctordave

Ended up ordering an ICOM R75 w/ the factory-installed DSP from Grove. Looking forward to the new addition to my radio room. Judging by the situation down South, I should still have plenty to tune into when the radio arrives in several days.

TinEar

Excellent move Dave. Let me know how you like it. I've been looking at that very receiver myself. Did you buy the software they offer for it?

doctordave

I'll let you know when it gets in, Al. The reviews on eham & other sites have been outstanding. Didn't order the software, as yet.....probably will migrate in that direction in the near future. Will simply start with a dipole in the attic....a number of people in this area have had great success w/ similar setups. Judging from the posts on the LA board, there is some intense USCG, FEMA radio traffic to lock onto.

Last edited:

Al42

doctordave said:
The postings on storm-related HF comms have captured my interest. Are there any dealers of HF receivers (or tranceivers, even) in the Baltimore area? A google search turns up one in Northern DE & one in Laurel, MD. Anything closer? Am aware of the low-end options at such places as Radio Shack. Thanks.
HRO in Woodbridge, VA?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Dave, a dipole works best at the freq for which it is cut, and multiples thereof; outside that point, response can drop off (unless you're feeding it with something other than coax). In the hurricane monitoring game, a more broadbanded antenna is called for. There are a few commercial folks on the wiki, plus a couple of homebrew links; while I wouldn't necessarily buy the commercial antennas right off the bat, they should give you something to think about in regards to putting an antenna in the attic.
Insofar as software goes, I would go and join the Icom R75 Yahoo group, and see what others are using. I would bet that RXPlus, tk75 and Ham Radio Deluxe are in that mix, but I know there are others. There's also (from what I hear) a very good PDF file available in that group's files section with all sorts of useful hints and kinks. 73s and good luck with the new toy (I'm envious) Mike

[Edit] I just looked at the brief description of the software offered by Grove - it specifically says 'Win95/98' - which suggests, like some of Icom's other offerings - that's it's a 16 bit application, with only meager support of everything it can do. Yecchhh! :evil:
I'm willing to bet a TS-2000 (a very expensive Kenwood ham transceiver) that either the Cookbook files or someone on the R75 group can tell you how to build a cable. Then start looking at software on the Strong Signals page, along with the ones I already mentioned. I have no doubt anything there will do a MUCH better job of supporting the radio.

Last edited:

doctordave

Thanks for the tips, Mike. As far as commercial broadband antennas, do you have any favorites for room or attic use? I'm determined to make the system excel & will be happy to invest nicely to get it to that point. Thanks again. Eager to get the new toy!

SkyPager

Amateur Radio Center 1117 W. 36th St., Baltimore 410-889-5214 Store for amateur radio supplies in the Baltimore area.

patrolman123

Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Center in Balto

The number for the Amateur Radio Center in Baltimore on 36th street is no longer in service. Any one know any information on this.........

SkyPager

Apologies if the previous information was outdated etc. If you don't want to make the drive to Woodbridge, VA to HRO, you could go to The FARFEST next weekend at Montgomery Co. Fairgrounds. This used to be the grand daddy of fests. However after MogoCo got greedy they moved it to the BaySox stadium, where it was only a shell of its former self. Now that it is back there, it may be worth visiting. As always; buyer beware in the open flea market.

MDC Section Convention
Foundation for Amateur Radio
http://www.farfest.org
Talk-In: 146.955 - and 443.400 +
c/o Foundation for Amateur Radio
PO Box 1013
College Park, MD 20741
Phone: 301-345-7381
Email: Blasberg@verizon.net
Gaithersburg, MD
Montgomery County Agricultural Center (Fairgrounds)
16 Chestnut Street
Div: Atlantic
Sect: Maryland-DC

Status
Not open for further replies.