396T & P25 systems in MD

Status
Not open for further replies.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Hi:

I'm looking to tweak my 396 for scanning the various systems using P25 in Maryland and DC. Does anybody have suggestions about the values for decode thresholds, AGC settings for the various jurisdictions? I'm mostly interested in Baltimore City, Howard County, Metropolitan Police, and Montgomery County - but I'd be happy for any others!

Thanks,

CA
Annapolis

Admin0140434

as far as Baltimore, Howard, and Montgomery are concerned... NINN27 is suppose to be in the works of a MD EMERGENCY FILE that covers the whole state and (rumor) DC.

i wish he would hurry up... i just got a 396
:D

doctordave

Maus,

I use the auto settings and have had great performance on all area systems and the DE systems. The sound quality is so good that I've not bothered to try manual adjustments. Have you been getting less than good performance?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
One point - I think I got this right (folks will let me know in a hurry if I'm wrong, hi) - but for the purposes of the 396, there are NO true P25 systems in the ones mentioned above. These are all Smartnet or Smartzone type systems using APCO audio; therefore, you would program them as regular 800 mhz trunk systems, not using the P25 option?

I'm trying to get that point straight for when I get my 396.....73s Mike

doctordave

You are right on target with that, Mike. The 396 software settings for a standard 800 Type II system (the appropriate choice on the 396 for the cited systems) do allow for "P25 threshold" to be set to auto or manual....I honestly don't know if that would ever apply in any way - but it does pop up on the screen as an option when programming these systems. The AGC can either be selected as on or off....I have yet to see any software-based option for "fine-tuning" this.

You are gonna love the 396 when you get it.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Yo,

I have mine programmed as 800 type 2 and I hear everyone. However, I sometimes have audio that's not unreadable, but bordering on distortion - usually Baltimore City. Also, the city dispatchers tend to be much louder than the portables in the field. I'm curious if there is a better starting point rather than the default 8 for each system. Also, should I set up the AGC as either digital or analog vs. AUTO which it is set to by default?

Thanks,

CA
Annapolis

lynnk

Premium Subscriber
Howard county

So are we saying that to program Howard Co, which is listed as a analog/digital system that you set it up as a 800 Mhz Type 2 system? Do the "D" channel come up ok??

troymail

Silent Key
lynnk said:
So are we saying that to program Howard Co, which is listed as a analog/digital system that you set it up as a 800 Mhz Type 2 system? Do the "D" channel come up ok??

Howard goes in the 396 as a "800 Mhz Standard" system.... I think the Type I and Type II nomenclature applies to older radios like the 235/245, etc.

And yes, it you have a 396 (or a 296 with a digital card), the "D" (digital) channels are readable. The "E" channels are not (on any scanner) - they'll lock in but all you'll get is noise.

I haven't found any improvement in trying to make decoding adjustments to the digital systems... The default (auto) on the 396 seems to be as good as it gets.

Al42

troymail said:
I haven't found any improvement in trying to make decoding adjustments to the digital systems... The default (auto) on the 396 seems to be as good as it gets.
Try Alexandria, VA, next time you're close enough to receive them. IIRC, I get them best around 12 or 13 on Auto.

troymail

Silent Key
Al42 said:
Try Alexandria, VA, next time you're close enough to receive them. IIRC, I get them best around 12 or 13 on Auto.

Wow - That's quite a bit off from the default starting point of 8...
How did the automatic setting work on Alexandria (or didn't it)?

Dougie

Baltimore city police dept, was to my knowledge was one of the first 3 or so depts in the continental U.S to go digital ((or so) back in 1998 or so). Balti city system is slightly old and this is our big reason we need audio adjustment controls with the dispatchers and officers on balti city system .... Harford county system superbly comes over my 296 very clean and this is a very updated system....

I have not ran right out yet and purchased the 396 on purpose for the simple fact being that radio shack (gre) will more and likely come back with a better scanner again than uniden. The audio on the pro 96 me is still better than the 396 or matches very closely

Comments needed!!!

Anyone wanna buy my 296 uniden for a nice price, lol...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.