talk-around

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dank

Last week I was listening to Montgomery County Police and one unit asked the other to go to talk-around. Is there any trick to listening to communiccations in talk-around mode other than being really clse to there location since the repeater is bypassed?
Dan

troymail

Silent Key
Dank said:
Last week I was listening to Montgomery County Police and one unit asked the other to go to talk-around. Is there any trick to listening to communiccations in talk-around mode other than being really clse to there location since the repeater is bypassed?
Dan

In AA County, talk-around is a specific channel on hte radio that results in the two units talking directly (no repeater) on the same frequency. You must be very close to hear those units.
I don't see a T/A channel referenced on the Montgomery County template.

There may be other types of talk-around....

lawman349

the "talkaround" is probably RINS or Regional INterService...

these are channels that are specifically used for car-to-car comms in agencies with 800mhz systems. They are not trunked or repeated. They are simplex 800 mhz digital freqs.

We have numerous RINS channels in Charles county. Some for fire, some for police, some for co. gov't.

TinEar

I think Dan is asking if there's anyway to be able to hear them better - not whether they have talkaround channels - which they do, 3 of them. These are neither RINS nor ITAC channels. They are specifically for Montgomery County police talkaround and are listed in the database.

Dan, I think the answer is nothing other than what you guessed. That is, be close.

Last edited:

Dank

Thanks alot for the info. It didn't occur to me about scanning the conventional talk around freqs or the RINS either. I'm still stuck on my habits from the old Montgomery County 490Mhz system, when you only had to look at freqs, not freqs and talk groups. I will try to follow the talkaround reqs if I hear a reference to it on the AA County system.
Dan

lebrunmn

Retired... Get off my lawn!
Premium Subscriber
AA Co. Talkaround

Dank said:
Thanks alot for the info. It didn't occur to me about scanning the conventional talk around freqs or the RINS either. I'm still stuck on my habits from the old Montgomery County 490Mhz system, when you only had to look at freqs, not freqs and talk groups. I will try to follow the talkaround reqs if I hear a reference to it on the AA County system.
Dan

Dan-

For what it's worth, from what I've heard, when AA Co. PD refers to their "talkaround," they end up switching to their aux. talkgroup on their trunked system. When they want to switch to the real, simplex talkaround, they say, "go to eight." I believe that frequency is 854.7375

NINN27

lebrunmn said:
For what it's worth, from what I've heard, when AA Co. PD refers to their "talkaround," they end up switching to their aux. talkgroup on their trunked system. When they want to switch to the real, simplex talkaround, they say, "go to eight." I believe that frequency is 854.7375

correct frequency

however you will hear them say "go to 12" instead of talkaround when they switch to aux... this is position B on the motorolas... position C (for some reason) is still the OLD AACO system

n3bxv

I've heard them use - "Toggle down", "go to B" "go to 12", "go to talkaround" and "drop down" just in the past few weeks.
The were also using the channel number from the old system for quite a while after the switch to the new trunked system.

dhutsell

Talk around on the portables is 1 watt TX so you must be very close to hear it, there is no other way.

Status
Not open for further replies.