Mo

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPERT20906

Just heard on the scanner 'violent MO' were I live, & was kind of wondering if anyone can get MO or is it just handicap people? I do not know anything about people with mental problems & it is kind of hard & I want to understand so I can know what to look for so someday I am not looking up @ the lights in the hospital.

mdulrich

Feed Provider
SPERT20906 said:
Sorry MO = mentlly off

Has someone told you this is what it means or is this your assumption?

MO typically means modus operandi or method of operation. I think this probably means a violent person, not mentally off or handicapped.

Mike

SPERT20906

I hear it on the scanner & MO that I use it for is like you, but I asked my stepbrother [retired montgomery county police officer] & he told me MO means MENTALLY OFF, I sometimes want to call in to the PSCC [changed from ECC] & talk to the supervisor about it & tell him or her that I think they should not use MO for mentally off because it seemed like it is degrading or putting one down. But can I call & tell them this?

Thanks;

Bob

TinEar

Spert (I think I remember your name is Bob), what you're hearing most of the time when they mention M.O. is slang. I think to the medics, M.O. would mean "mental observation", but police use it simply to mean someone acting crazy. Violent M.O.s are just people acting wild and crazy and possibly harming themselves or others and doesn't at all refer to actual mental disease. You have nothing to fear as a handicapped person of being one of those "violent M.O.s." Mental disease can affect anyone in the population. The important thing to keep in mind is that the use you're hearing on the scanner is simply street slang by police and dispatchers that has absolutely nothing to do with a medical diagnosis. Police see actions by people only; they don't have medical training to be able to label someone correctly with a psychiatric evaluation -- so they all become M.O.s on the street.

Alan

doctordave

For all we know, our dear friend "Mo Levin" was a bit grumpy over having selected a bunch of GRE products, instead of upgrading to the clearly superior Unidens....and the officers were simply referring to him :)

TinEar

Mo is off to college. He said before he left that there was going to be a delay getting back on line - something about the computer department at the college.

SPERT20906

THANKS A LOT, & yes this is Bob. I was thinking last night [while looking out the bed room window, that all the rescue crews & medic's can do is call the hospital through the MRC & the doctors can tell if they need help or just a good nights sleep. I remember back where I us to live how some people [not MO] would go to the hospital & then get sent back home after waiting hours to see a doctor, & some even stay over night then catch the bus back home the next day. I can just hear some of these doctors saying;

"They keep sending this person back for really nothing"

I guess it is like the TV show 'emergency] were the medic's are the doctors on the filed & are limited in what kind of medical things they can do.

I had first thought it was a handicap thing until I heard it on my scanner @ Rockville metro, so is there anything I need to know or look for so not to get hurt?

Also if I hear it on my scanner & am on my way out somewhere, do I still go about my business as in going past the problem or do I wait until the rescue people leave?

I guess just like anything the police will look out & stop me from going if it is too bad, I am learning a lot on here about the police & fire/rescue & thanks you all.

[Wish that this was some site that PSCC [ECC] uses because someone from ECC gave me the link & that is how I got on here is through them. also I would like to see more of the people who are on the radio [dispatchers as well as people on the road & stations] on here. I hate to call the 301-279-8000 # just to ask them questions so they will not hang up then 'make fun' of me or think I am MO. I would love to make friends with someone from MONTGOMERY COUNTY POLICE OR FIRE/RESCUE & learn things. I think you are from station 5 on CONNECT AVENUE [?].

-----------------------------------------------------------
If anyone on here will take part in this parade on GEORGIA AVENUE tomorrow, then I will see you all tomorrow [wish I could work for the fire/rescue but I am 4ft 9 ' & dad does not want me to join for fear that they will act like others have as in making fun @ me. I would love to see people stop making fun of others, but this will stop when Jesus comes to take us home & there is no need for police or fire/rescue. See I feel most people may not want me on here do to me just being myself with a picture of my S.P.E.R.T. 20906 station in my towns on my train layout. But if the sysop of this site + others do not want me, then ok. What will be will be. I just happen to do things different then most because no one seems to want anything to do with me in my personal life. So I just wanted to explained myself in case someone on here is thinking 'gee he is really MO', but I guess even if someone did call 911 on me & they talked to dad or find out that this is how I do things due to my brain, they will feel kind of :(.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Alan[/QUOTE]

SPERT20906

LOL

This is strange, I try to reply to a post with their text & get;

Your message is too short it must be [10], & I replied to the last one & it told me it was too short. The long reply I sent I had to delete some text first from the reply, so what do I need to do so to send a reply without deleting or adding just to by pass the error message?

Thanks
Bob

mlevin

I'm back for the weekend. Dave, I'm quite happy with my GRE products. I am waiting for the base version of the 396T though.

Al42

BoxAlarm187 said:
Al42 said:
"Mentally off" isn't a disease, it's just an ignorant dispatcher making assumptions.
Care to expand on this?
1) "Mentally off" is a comment - there's no such recognized disease or mental defect.

2) Even if it were a disease, the dispatcher can't make a determination like that. Neither can a cop or ambulance attendant.

Maybe he should have said, "... violent and acting strangely".

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
Al42 said:
1) "Mentally off" is a comment - there's no such recognized disease or mental defect.

2) Even if it were a disease, the dispatcher can't make a determination like that. Neither can a cop or ambulance attendant.

Maybe he should have said, ".

I have to really doubt that any agency would allow it's dispatchers to use the term "MO" if it DID mean "mentally off." I have a friend that works for Montgomery County, MD Fire, I'll see what light he can shed on this "MO" abbreviation.

Do none of the local agencies in your area dispatch ambulances for "mental cases," "EDP's" or the such? As a former dispatcher, and someone is married to an 8-year dispatcher, I think that the call-taker/dispatcher can determine pretty easily when the patient is having obvious mental issues. Besides, if the only signs & symptoms given by the caller is "... violent and acting strangely," what call type would you enter this into the CAD as?

Al42

BoxAlarm187 said:
Besides, if the only signs & symptoms given by the caller is "... violent and acting strangely," what call type would you enter this into the CAD as?
Probably 10-47 (dangerous/armed person). There's no code for someone not healthy/normal except for 10-8 (sick/injured person).

doctordave

mlevin said:
I'm back for the weekend. Dave, I'm quite happy with my GRE products. I am waiting for the base version of the 396T though.

Good to hear from you, Mo! I suspected that line about GRE would generate a nice response from you. Glad you are back online. How's the scanning up North?

Status
Not open for further replies.