RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Maryland Radio Discussion Forum

Maryland Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Maryland.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 12:00 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratzert View Post
Thanks for that ocguard.

I have heard on some of the transmissions during the change, that officers were instructed to merely push a button on the front of their radios to change over to the new digital system.

But they may have all already had "new" radios. I guess for $76 MILLION, they SHOULD get new HH radios too.
The fire department had begun to phase in digital-ready (XTS5000) portable radios in years ago. The reason was two-fold:
1. inevitable future digital transition
2. direct interoperability with surrounding Astro and p25 systems.
Sponsored links

Old 02-18-2012, 1:13 AM

Quote:
May I ask for some specific reports from those who have a PSR-800 ?

I am having some success with the Pro-106 but it's hit & miss.

If the PSR-800 is doing the "best" in picking up the new system... I may have to spring for a PSR-800.
I have an 800, so I'm happy to fill you in on what I have so far (from PCT 1 area). Reception is generally pretty good with the stock rubber ducky- I've had to be careful about positioning sometimes when stationary due to the aforementioned multipathing issues (for some reason my best reception in my room is with it pointed bearing 210 propped up by 20 degrees inside a desk drawer.. very odd) and I've had very few problems when portable at work- just foot motion is usually good enough to keep the decoding problems people have mentioned from really kicking in.

I've got a good multiband antenna for mobile use, and plugged into that I've had very few problems whatsoever- clear reception all over PCT 1's area, northern AA County by BWI, and SW district BC with only sporadic multipathing problems.

By the way, to any RR people out there, is there any call for a listing of radio IDs? I've been slowly compiling my list so I can have decent alpha tags when people key up unintelligibly, so I figured I'd ask.
Old 02-18-2012, 7:17 AM
Wiki Admin Emeritus
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Mike... is this what you need ?

Tim
Yep that looks like it. I will take care of this later today. Thanks Mike
Old 02-18-2012, 10:59 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpcain View Post
I have an 800, so I'm happy to fill you in on what I have so far (from PCT 1 area). Reception is generally pretty good with the stock rubber ducky- I've had to be careful about positioning sometimes when stationary due to the aforementioned multipathing issues (for some reason my best reception in my room is with it pointed bearing 210 propped up by 20 degrees inside a desk drawer.. very odd) and I've had very few problems when portable at work- just foot motion is usually good enough to keep the decoding problems people have mentioned from really kicking in.

I've got a good multiband antenna for mobile use, and plugged into that I've had very few problems whatsoever- clear reception all over PCT 1's area, northern AA County by BWI, and SW district BC with only sporadic multipathing problems.

By the way, to any RR people out there, is there any call for a listing of radio IDs? I've been slowly compiling my list so I can have decent alpha tags when people key up unintelligibly, so I figured I'd ask.
Thanks dpcain.

It sounds like the reception on the PSR800 and the Pro-106 are very similar.

No sense spending more money for little to no improvement.

I may be better off with a wait and see considferation. Maybe RS will come up with a few firmware tweaks or come out with another line-up of scanners that handle this system better.

Or the members of the forum will figure out the best settings to monitor the P25 system.

Thanks, Tim
Old 02-18-2012, 11:37 AM
Wiki Admin Emeritus
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpcain View Post
<snip>
There's a reference on the wiki that says someone has logged over 100 RIDs, but hasn't listed them. I can open up a second page so folks can start adding them, if there's any interest.

Mike
Sponsored links
Old 02-18-2012, 1:38 PM

Default Help

I have a Uniden BC2500 . I have entered the new P25 Phase 1 frequencies and talk groups but am not hearing anything. What am I doing wrong or is this receiver not able to receive this new system?
Old 02-18-2012, 3:16 PM

I've added about 30 right on the main page, and while I was at it did the same for a bunch of other Baltimore area system wiki pages where I had RIDs to add. If you want to move them to a subpage, feel free, but I figured I might as well plop what I have so far.
Old 02-18-2012, 9:45 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Here's a screen shot of the south system. It's only showing 15 channels. I'll try to get a capture of the north system in the morning if I remember.
Attached Images

Old 02-19-2012, 10:47 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Mike,

I programmed the radio from the keypad. I'm using the RS rubber duck. Nothing special. I still have a 396T. I'll try to give it a try in the same area this week.

Rick
Sponsored links
Old 02-19-2012, 6:54 PM

Default Reception

Hey guys. I have the pro-106. I have never updated it or anything. I have the RS 800mhz antenna. I drive a taxi in Balto Co so im all over the place all of the time. I have both North and South FRQ programmed in. I only listen to Dundalk Essex and White Marsh PD.

So during my travels this is what I noticed. I hear White Marsh Ops more then anything. Both the Ops and Tac channels. When I parked on the Mars parking lot on Wise ave Im able to pick up all the convos all of the time crystal clear.

When i sit on the Middlesex shopping center in essex i get nothing from no one. Not even a peep. If im on the Khols parking lot right off of Martin Blvd in Middle River I get all three pretty clear. Driving around these areas im like everyone else.

I hear some convos clear others are choppy and garbled. I seem to have no trouble picking up anything real early in the am. Around 3am to 6am. I went to towson the other day and of course it was crystal clear.

I hope this little input helps and of course i'll keep paying attention and posting any results.
Old 02-20-2012, 3:42 PM

Just a quick question, does Radio Shack normally keep up on there firmware updates? Have they made any significant changes in the past? I am hoping they release a CQPSK firmware update very soon. Until then I have a $600 paper weight! Thanks everyone!
Old 02-20-2012, 3:45 PM

I am in Dundalk with a 106 and my reception is horrid since the upgrade. The problem is. is that the new system uses CQPSK and our scanners can't decode this. I hope Radio Shack releases a firmware update to correct this. If not my scanner is useless to me.
Old 02-20-2012, 7:12 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I'd like to thank everyone for all the posts and info you have provided on this forum. Over the past few days I have read over 500 posts concerning digital scanners. It's quite a bit to absorb. At the present time I only have a BC780HLT that I hand programmed over ten years ago. It has worked flawlessly over the years for the standard trunking. Now with the inevitable upgrade I need to make, I can take the information I have gathered from the posts, and try to purchase a digital scanner that will provide me with hopefully another decades worth of listening pleasure.

I mainly listen to Balto Co Police from home, so this info you have provided has been quite helpful. It appears that the GRE PSR-600 would probably best suit my needs. I prefer to have a base, rather than a hand-held. I have heard scuttlebut that a PSR-900 will be coming very soon. Has anyone learned of any info on this? I found a website selling one,

GRE PSR-900 EZ Scan Digital P25 Mobile Scanner - ShopWiscomm

but examining the GRE website, had made no mention of this radio. Not sure if this is a scam or not. I would appreciate any info you could provide to help with my decision. Thanks.
Old 02-20-2012, 7:14 PM
Wiki Admin Emeritus
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Go look in our GRE forum. Don't fall into the trap of only looking at the new posts. Look at everything and you'll learn that much quicker.

Or take up speed reading (chuckle) Mike
Old 02-20-2012, 7:17 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kt3rr View Post
I'd like to thank everyone for all the posts and info you have provided on this forum. Over the past few days I have read over 500 posts concerning digital scanners. It's quite a bit to absorb. At the present time I only have a BC780HLT that I hand programmed over ten years ago. It has worked flawlessly over the years for the standard trunking. Now with the inevitable upgrade I need to make, I can take the information I have gathered from the posts, and try to purchase a digital scanner that will provide me with hopefully another decades worth of listening pleasure.

I mainly listen to Balto Co Police from home, so this info you have provided has been quite helpful. It appears that the GRE PSR-600 would probably best suit my needs. I prefer to have a base, rather than a hand-held. I have heard scuttlebut that a PSR-900 will be coming very soon. Has anyone learned of any info on this? I found a website selling one,

GRE PSR-900 EZ Scan Digital P25 Mobile Scanner - ShopWiscomm

but examining the GRE website, had made no mention of this radio. Not sure if this is a scam or not. I would appreciate any info you could provide to help with my decision. Thanks.
I have seen news of the PSR-900 pop up a couple of places.

Apparently it was introduced and displayed at some recent electronics show and was about to be released to the puplic.

From the little news I read... it is essentially the same as the PSR-800, but is a "Base" model.

No earth shattering new features or improvements.

So that leaves us all still wanting for someone to put out a new scanner ( or firmware) to solve the problems associated wiht monitoring the P25 systems.
Sponsored links

Old 02-20-2012, 7:29 PM

Quick answer: no radio currently works as well as anyone would like -- some are lucky given their location but there are far from any guarantees---

Today I was doing around "drive around the county" - this time to save gas (it's getting expensive again), I hung around the area of Catonsville, etc. (Rolling Rd and Frederick Rd and then down towards Arbutus and UMBC).

Sitting at Rolling and Frederick Rds in the school parking lot, I had excellent reception on nearly all radios (800, 500, and even the 396T). It sounded GREAT! In fact, I had a good signal even with no antennas connected (I was swapping antennas around).... of course, there appears to be a transmitter/tower site a mile away around Rt 40 and Rolling Rd.

However, I then drove South on Hilton Ave towards Patapsco Valley State Park and the signal/reception got increasingly worse (just 2 miles away).

I drove further south and around to the southeast side of Catonsville High School and pretty much lost all reception.

Interestingly, as I was driving towards the target area, I passed through Rt 170 (Telegraph Rd) and Dorsey Rd on the southwest side of BWI (7.8 mils from the Rolling Rd tower) -- perfect reception.

As I returning home, I stopped in the area of the Jessup Truck Stop (Rt 175 just east of Rt 1 - 9 miles from the Rolling Rd tower) -- sitting in the McDonalds Parking lot -- again perfect reception - both the 800 and 500.

I did, however find, that in most cases, the stock antennas were performing better than the RS 800Mhz antenna.

I finally just gave up on the BC-396T (note: not XT).

Last edited by troymail; 02-20-2012 at 7:41 PM..
Old 02-21-2012, 9:23 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymail View Post
I did, however find, that in most cases, the stock antennas were performing better than the RS 800Mhz antenna.
troymail,

That's interesting... I am going to have to find my origina antenna for my Pro-106 and try swapping it out for the RS 800Mhz antenna I have been using.

Thanks
Old 02-21-2012, 3:22 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I was abel to find my original Pro-106 antenna and swapped it out for the RD 800b Mhz antennae.

The results for me were complete opposite of troymail.

I lost nearly all reception.

So switched back to the 800 Mhz ant. and reception was much improved.

Still not great... but much better.

I guess it still has a lot to do with your location.

Tim

Last edited by pratzert; 02-21-2012 at 3:31 PM..
Old 02-21-2012, 4:52 PM

Default Stock vs. RS800 antenna--

This just proves that there is no single thing that works for all.

The stock antenna situation was something I noticed while sitting in Jessup -- my 500 was using the stock antenna and the 800 was sitting 18 inches away using the RS800 antenna. The 500 with the stock antenna was picking up conversations very clearly - the 800 was hearing nothing. I put another stock antenna on the 800 and then it too started following conversations very clearly. This is really strange since I was way way out of the county in Howard County.

On the other hand, I have to use the RS800 at home to pick anything up most times.
Old 02-21-2012, 6:20 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

hi troymail,

It's just so frustrating to hear transmissions come in sometimes even better than the old system and in ther next second... it stinks !

For the most part, I can listen to most of a dispatch and maybe evebn the response.. and other times it just turns to garble instantly and then back again.

I am not moving the scanner at all as you may suspect. But it's stationary and it still goes in and out.