Kga

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdshayne

I often hear Baltimore City police call in the "KGA". They don't seem to be speaking to their district dispatcher. Does anyone know who or what "KGA" might be?

mlevin

BPD's old FCC callsign began with the letters KGA and the officers have called the dispatcher KGA on the air ever since.

bdshayne

mlevin said:
BPD's old FCC callsign began with the letters KGA and the officers have called the dispatcher KGA on the air ever since.
Would KGA be their district dispatcher or is it a citywide or special operations (in the general sense) dispatcher?

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
I believe KGA340 was what the Balto Co FD or PD went by.
If I could interpret the Moris Code Identifier they send it may actually still say the same.

Al42

bryanwhite said:
I believe KGA340 was what the Balto Co FD or PD went by.
If I could interpret the Moris Code Identifier they send it may actually still say the same.
If you could post an mp3, someone else could.

troymail

Silent Key
Actually - the BCFD was KGC220 --- I recall growning up and hearing the regular announcement .... "KGC220, the Baltimore City Fire Department...".. I've heard it from time to time in the morse callsign

KGA does go back to the old callsign days ... but I never listened to PD that much to remember.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
I know this thread started out talking about Balt City.
I think Balt Co just called them "headquarters" for the longest while, it's diff now.
Dispatch is one less sylable then K-G-A, I'm for brevity.

ScanWare

Full Time Elmer & Getting Paid to Play with Toys!
Premium Subscriber
K - let's do it again!

My 2-cents....

Yes...I am sure the 'KGA' we all hear refers to the old KGA410 call sign. I've heard this since I started listening to the BCPD on my 6-tube (that is vacuum tube) Regency Monitoradio many years ago.

As a sidebar to this conversation...I've always enjoyed hearing the NYFD and such ending transmissions with "K". What is that all about? A further shortened callsign? A New Yorkers version of "Okay", or what?

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
The "K" goes back to the days of the telegraph, when the letter "K" was used to signal the end of a transmission. FDNY uses it to say, "I am through talking, awaiting your response."

Status
Not open for further replies.