Not open for further replies.

jake14

Last week i went to radio shack and they said Radio shack stores dont sell
them any more.
Why is that ?
So now we have to order them from the internet

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
A pro-94? Get real. When rebanding happens - it's just a matter of time, I think everyone is now resigned to the fact that a 2006 date isn't going to happen everywhere, even tho that's the 'official' timeline (yeah, right) - that radio, along with many other older trunktrackers, will be useless for 800 Mhz Moto trunking. And I haven't forgotten when AA finally does throw the big digital switch, again that radio will be rendered useless for 800 Mhz trunking.

In fact, as it stands right now, AA and Baltimore county are the only 2 analog trunking pubic safety systems left in central Maryland. One is moving to ProVoice (unmonitorable - Cecil county), one is remaining 490 Mhz conventional (PG county) and much of the others are all digital (Baltimore city, Harford, Howard, Montgomery, and even DC police/fire)

Time to do a little research. 73s Mike

Last edited:

RALPHLUCAS

Awww, come on guys! Ain't nobody out thar homebrewing enny moe???? How's about a DISCONE (not a brand name but a type) antenna? It looks like a funnel upside down. You don't hafta buy one for big $$$$ lessenwisen ya wanna. They are very broad band and work great for receivers too! If you construct one for sumptin round about 700 or 800 megs it will work GREAT. Feed it with TV coax RG 59 (72 ohm) if you ain't got RG 58 (50 ohm), it don't care and you won't either! You ain't transmitting ennyways! I made my discone for 800MHz from leftover sheet copper, a piece of teflon shaft for the insulator, some machine screws, brass tubing and an SO-239. It has less than unity gain but so what? Why that little squeeker even grabs VHF just peachy! Get off of RR and search the internet for DISCONE and you will find the construction details and the simple frequency formula to shear your own sheet metal antenna. For lower freqs you can use lotsa thin metal dowel rods from Joe Blow Hardware. Save some bucks, build your own UHF antenna and quit the worry bout a mere 100MHz freq change. Why, it's even small-nuff to hook-up inside the house next to your gear!
Have fun homebrewing if it suit ur fancy!

Last edited:

Spleen

Premium Subscriber
Rebanding or no rebanding, I ain't throwing away my ol' PRO-94 just yet....Baltimore County is in Bank 1, Carroll is in Bank 2, BGE is in 3, MTA is in 4, and the Port is in 5. Frederick County is somewhere in there, but I don't get out there much anymore.

VHF from three PA counties fill the rest of the spaces in 'A' section and quite a few in 'B'

That leaves approximately one jillion spaces left for the abundant non-trunked traffic around these parts.

Don't spend a bag of cash on a PRO-94 antenna, but the rubber duckie (Catalog #: 20-034) is perfectly adequate for day-to-day scanning...if you're going to be scanning a lot of VHF-Lo, pick up # 20-006....that way, you can collapse the antenna when you're back in 800 MHz country and still get half-decent reception...

Al42

jake14 said:
A uniden Base And a pro-94
You're looking for a Uniden antenna and a Pro-94 antenna?

No wonder they didn't have any.

Uniden doesn't make antennas and the Pro-94 is a scanner, not an antenna. Antennas come in frequency ranges, not in radios they're used with. Ask for a 210-3641 (parallel groundplane) or a 210-3160 (discone) and you may have more luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.