AACO Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpsmith2

Status Message Encoder. Each radio has a set of buttons that, when pushed, produces an (I assume) data code that indicates various messages related to the status of the unit.

Fire Apparatus mobiles have, (and I may have these reversed a bit, ie: 1 & 2, 3 & 4 may be backwards):
1 - In Quarters Dependently Staffed (two units share personnel)
2 - In Quarters Independently Staffed
3 - Responding with Officer
4 - Responding without Officer
5 - On Scene
6 - Available
7 - Unavailable
8 - Out of Service

They also have a set of buttons to indicate number of personnel on the apparatus, 1-8

The EMS units are basically the same, but 3 = Responding, 4 = On Scene, and 5 = Enroute to Hospital. Their second row of buttons are used to indicate which hospital they are transporting to. 1 = North Arundel, 2 = AAMC, etc...

Some portable radios also have SME capability and most have buttons to indicate when an EMS crew has arrived at a patient's side (initiated care) and when care is transferred to hospital staff which are not necessarily the same as time units Arrive On Scene or Arrive at the Hospital.

Hope this answers your question.

NINN27

just a side note... north arundel has been renamed to (makes ugly face) Baltimore Washington Medical Center

just throwing this in incase 28wanna hears that name referenced and didnt know what it is...

troymail

Silent Key
Baltimore Washington Medical Center .... BMWC ... it's still North Arundel .... (-:

As far as the portables - all have "APS" (at patient side) functions.. at least the medical unit portables have "PTO" (patient transfered over) functions... most (possibly all) portables can change the status of the unit they are assigned to. Although they are pressed by a button on the side of the radio, they aren't actually separate little "buttons" like they are in the mobile units. They are more like "menu" functions - press a button and scroll through a list.

When we first got the current portables, it was a real big deal that the portable assigned to a specific unit stayed on that unit -- for a couple of reasons - (1) because you could change the mobile unit status from the portable and, more importantly (2) because if you were on a call and you hit the little orange emergency button, the dispatchers would know who you were... for some reason, I see alot of portables (at the station and on trunker) being shifted around from unit to unit... the best the dispatchers can tell now in manner cases is you are a unit from a certain company but not necessarily which actual unit (i.e. QNT13 vs. SQ13, etc.).

ResQguy

Meh
And since the DEKs are just transferred to new units, most of them still have a GLBH button! (I think once I saw a SBH button!)

Status
Not open for further replies.