RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Maryland Radio Discussion Forum

Maryland Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Maryland.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 4:25 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkey View Post
WaveJam - Your closest site (though maybe not the best depending on your exact location and terrain) is I-70 @Rt. 75
Ahhh! I know where that tower is. This helps alot. I think I may indeed have somewhat of a terrain issue. But at least I now know that I mounted the antenna on the correct side of the house. Thanks.

www.frederickscanner.com
Sponsored links
Old 09-19-2012, 8:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveJam View Post
Ahhh! I know where that tower is. This helps alot. I think I may indeed have somewhat of a terrain issue. But at least I now know that I mounted the antenna on the correct side of the house. Thanks.
Like others have mentioned before, the signal might be too strong. Have you tried another antenna?
Old 09-19-2012, 9:00 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_s104 View Post
Like others have mentioned before, the signal might be too strong. Have you tried another antenna?
You know what... I have. I tried 2 other antenna's / locations. One of the 2 antennas was the little whip that came with the scanner. There was no change. But based on a comment earlier in this thread, my best reception for the CC was at 92% and 88%. So, I wonder if I am having a terrain / reception issue.

www.frederickscanner.com
Old 09-19-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveJam View Post
You know what... I have. I tried 2 other antenna's / locations. One of the 2 antennas was the little whip that came with the scanner. There was no change. But based on a comment earlier in this thread, my best reception for the CC was at 92% and 88%. So, I wonder if I am having a terrain / reception issue.
What about a cellhpone mag mount or the RS 800MHz antenna? I can understand that it would be a pain to not be able to get a good signal.
Old 09-19-2012, 5:34 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_s104 View Post
What about a cellhpone mag mount or the RS 800MHz antenna? I can understand that it would be a pain to not be able to get a good signal.
Haven't tried a cellphone antenna but here is what I tried:

The antenna I usually use and get the strongest signal (92% on CC):
RadioShack Outdoor Scanner/Ham Discone Antenna : Scanner Antennas | RadioShack.com

I tested with this one too. It used to be the one I mainly used until I got the above antenna:
AntennaCraft ST2 Scanner Antenna Kit with 50 Foot Cable (ST2) from Solid Signal)

And lastly, just the little telescopic antenna that came with the scanner...

All antennas had the same result. Believe it or not, I took this to an extreme and ordered a Bearcat BCD996XT... Found a new unit for $400 and will sell my Pro-197 for $300 on eBay. Hopefully the scanner gets here soon. Anxious to see if there is any difference. Also thinking about trying a yagi antenna next.

Thanks for the mag mount idea!!! I may try that next.

www.frederickscanner.com
Sponsored links
Old 09-19-2012, 8:48 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Ok. For any of you experiencing the garbled tranmissions I urge you to grab a paper clip or keyring and read this: BCD996XT P25 Settings

Wow! My audio isn't perfect but its far better.... FAR better....

www.frederickscanner.com

Last edited by WaveJam; 09-19-2012 at 9:01 PM..
Old 09-20-2012, 5:29 PM

I have a Uniden BC 296D. I'm no expert by any means, but was able to flash the unit back in February with new firmware etc, to receive the new banding. The unit worked great until the new digital system went active.

Yesterday, I reprogrammed the unit with the new freq's and selected:"Type 2/ P25 800" as the trunking type. I activated the digital card (I know that works because I can get FCPD with/ without their encryption depending on if they have it on or not) but I cant get the unit to trunk at all: no talkgroup numbers, nothing.

Am I doing something drastically wrong? I recall having to select (in February) Fred Co as a Custom Motorola II with a Special Band Plan of Base Freq (lower and upper) Offset, Polarity and Spacing, which was supplied by Uniden with the firmware update, but I must admit to being lost. I even took the unit to near the airport which I assume was closer to the tower ( I live near ft detrick) but no difference.

Went to Hankeys but the lady said they dont support...

thanks in advance.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:31 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I now have my Pro-197 running side-by-side with a new BCD996XT. Both firmware are the most current and both are using the antennas that they came with. The noticeable diffs:

- The Pro-197 seems to scan faster. It just picks up on a transmission faster than the Uniden.

- The Uniden audio for the Frederick P-25 system is far clearer on all channels.

- Both units struggle with transmissions on 853.7500. However the Uniden is less choppy and much more understandable.

- The Uniden lets you do some P25 specific tweaking that the Pro-197 can't do.

Bottomline... I'll test and compare for about a week but right now, I think I'll be keeping the Uniden I have the Uniden running my feed now if you want to listen in:

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?feedId=9809

www.frederickscanner.com
Old 09-21-2012, 5:16 PM

Default No reception

I'm 8 miles east of Hagerstown, I'm not rcving anything since change. Uniden 996T and GRE600
both programmed via RR. Rcvd the old analog system OK. Outside antenna on the Uniden.
Think I would here the Gambrills or Mt Quirauk site..Franklin Co Pa, and West Virginia.. OK
Oh well, will keep trying!
Sponsored links
Old 09-21-2012, 10:07 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default No transmitter at Quirauk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamnutt View Post
I'm 8 miles east of Hagerstown, I'm not rcving anything since change. Uniden 996T and GRE600
both programmed via RR. Rcvd the old analog system OK. Outside antenna on the Uniden.
Think I would here the Gambrills or Mt Quirauk site..Franklin Co Pa, and West Virginia.. OK
Oh well, will keep trying!
The Frederick County P25 system doesn't transmit from Quirauk Mtn, and from your location description I suspect you are in the shadow of South Mountain from both the Gambrill and Tower Rd sites. It might be tough to get a reliable signal.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:46 AM

Default Thanks

Yep, your right, I glanced at the wrong license.
Might try some thing directional..

Thanks!
Old 09-22-2012, 12:27 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamnutt View Post
Yep, your right, I glanced at the wrong license.
Might try some thing directional..

Thanks!
Frederick County P25 system has sites at Tower Rd, Gambrill Mtn., and Mar Lu Ridge on Catoctin Mtn. ridge. Sites are also present at Bridgeport (Rt. 140 @Monocacy River), Hill St (Frederick), Vernon Ave (Frederick), and New Market (I-70@Rt.75) The FCC ASR website has the coordinates for those who may be looking to tune their equipment with directional antennas to deal with multi-path issues.
Old 09-22-2012, 5:11 PM

Default Reply

Many Thanks!!
Old 09-24-2012, 12:55 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

A few days after the new Frederick system went on-line, I entered a CC of 854.9875, and a few TG's into my Pro-197 here in Sharpsburg area (Wash. Co) and all was fine, sounded GREAT. Now I see others are having issues similar to mine- garbled transmissions etc. I'm thinking at first they didn't lite up all the towers (or at reduced power out) and now that they did, we are all getting overlap. I'm probably getting whacked from Gambrills and Mar Lu Ridge. It's a shame, I'm picking up the WV and VA state systems fine, Franklin Co. PA, fine, Allegheny Power fine, and by shortening my telescoping antenna- Washington Co. fine.
Old 09-24-2012, 3:42 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3KKW View Post
and now that they did, we are all getting overlap.
Curious... Are you seeing more garbled problems when transmissions come through on 853.7500? The other freqs are ok for me. I have a Uniden and RS, both struggle on 853.7500 (the RS struggles more).

www.frederickscanner.com
Sponsored links
Old 09-25-2012, 10:35 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Pete, it now seems like more of a "dead carrier" is coming through. The garbled transmissions were NOT encrypted transmissions. I'm getting it on various frequencies: 853.7500, 853.2250, 859.4875. I'm sure this system is still being tweaked by (I'm presuming) Motorola techs. Lets give it a few months. I live in Washington County and unfortunately for us scanner geeks, our system, like Frederick Co. is simulcast and it causes problems. For the real end users though (Fire, Police, etc.) it's working just fine.

I'm also wondering if Frederick County is varying the control channel frequencies. All I have entered in is 854.9875 MHz. Anyone have others in use?
Old 09-25-2012, 11:53 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Seems I'll need a new scanner as I can't get my pro-96 to receive the new system. Is there a scanner that works well on this system? Seems unidens work best. Is anyone using the home patrol with any problems?

Thanks
Old 09-25-2012, 2:14 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Took a trip to Westminster last Wed. I entered the new system into my 96 and seemed to work ok once I got into Frederick Co.. Must have to be pretty close to get it to work.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:39 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3KKW View Post
Lets give it a few months.
Couldn't agree more... I'm done tweaking for now. Will see how things pan out.

www.frederickscanner.com
Old 09-27-2012, 2:09 PM
Wiki Admin Emeritus
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Is the old analog system now off the air? If so it should be dropped from the db (a ticket is needed for this...)

Mike