RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Maryland Radio Discussion Forum

Maryland Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Maryland.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka3jjz View Post
Is the old analog system now off the air? If so it should be dropped from the db (a ticket is needed for this...)

Mike
I thought it already was removed? You could submit a request if its still there.
Sponsored links
Old 09-28-2012, 7:30 AM
Wiki Admin Emeritus
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

It's still linked on the conventional county page (see the Frederick County entry) as well as the Maryland State Police page. I've submitted tickets for both.

I just wanted to make sure before I did that...Mike
Old 09-28-2012, 10:56 AM

857.48750 is still a active cc for System ID 2623 and some traffic is still on this system. ie: Radio Maintenance, MOSCAD, Unknown TGID's and some use when a problem with the P25 system.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:33 PM
Wiki Admin Emeritus
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

That's exactly what I was afraid of. I guess I should rescind those 2 tickets, then - and have Dave put a note on the analog system that's it's now a 'backup' should the P25 system have problems.

Oh well...thanks...Mike
Old 09-29-2012, 7:23 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

At the very least, pull off the known dead TGs from the analog system. That way people with database driven scanners aren't scanning both systems when they select "FIRE-TAC" etc
Sponsored links
Old 09-30-2012, 8:33 AM

Just set the new system up this morning. Signal strength is 2 bars steady from my location near Martinsburg WV using my discone. Audio is loud & clear on the active TG's I've heard so far.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:44 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Optimizing Frederick County, MD P25

Some (hopefully) useful hints for getting improved Frederick County, MD P25 reception. Based on lessons learned by others.

1. Ensure you have the most recent firmware for your scanner.
2. If you had loaded any rebanding mods to your frequencies, make sure you know whether the firmware requires them. At least Uniden's latest v.1.06.00 does not. I can't speak personally for GRE/RS.
3. Ensure that you have deleted the old Frederick County analog system if formerly loaded in your scanner (control channels in P25 are taken from voice channels in former analog system)

If you are a RR subscriber, load the system as defined in RR, it works well in at least BCD996XTs with v1.06.00.

if not

Load the system using only the control channels as listed on RR database:
Use "P25 Auto" for system type
Limit the trunking to "Control Channel"
Strongly suggest you do not use "Digital AGC"
Strongly suggest you do not use "Multisite" (Pro-197)

Antenna placement/choice is dependent on how focused you want to be on Frederick vs other areas, and his highly individual since this is a simulcast system. In general, the problem is too much signal for the scanner vs too little.

A graphic of where the Frederick County towers are is attached:
http://forums.radioreference.com/att...1&d=1350833167
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2012, 4:36 PM

Has anything changed with the Fred. Co. system? For the past two days, I have not been or have been barely recieving voice on the system, it locks on the ID just no voice. I haven't moved the antenna or made any adjustments to the scanner. Prior to yesterday (11/22), everything was working fine. Anyone have any ideas about this?
Old 01-22-2013, 5:27 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Hi Folks.. Just checking in to see if there is any new updates. My BCD996XT is working great! However, my Pro-197 is still have huge problems with anything coming in on 853.7500. Watch this. Pro-197 Garbled - YouTube It almost sounds as if the transmission is half encrypted and half understandable. Any ideas? I have tried resetting the scanner, new configs from scratch, ATT on, ATT off, Narrow FM, Multi-Site, P25Auto/Manual, Single control channel, big antenna, paper clip antenna, you name it. I'm pretty close to a tower, the Uniden works perfect, the Pro-197 speaks alien.

www.frederickscanner.com
Sponsored links
Old 01-23-2013, 6:58 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

pro-197 is probably suffering from receiver overload...you'll have to find a way to attenuate the signal it is getting slammed with.
Old 01-24-2013, 5:36 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default Is Frederick County going to change to digital?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hescominsoon View Post
pro-197 is probably suffering from receiver overload...you'll have to find a way to attenuate the signal it is getting slammed with.
Agreed, thanks... Ok time for a really dumb question. I apologize in advance. But... Is there a way to force my scanner to use a further tower? Do different towers use different control freqs? I assume not...

www.frederickscanner.com
Old 01-24-2013, 7:17 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Trying to use a more distant tower will likely only introduce other issues. If you're trying to focus on Frederick, some in-line attenuation is probably easier to implement. The potential downside would be the impact of the attenuation on being able tune other systems in on your scanner.

Frederick's system is a single 644 sq mile simulcast cell. All towers use a single control channel 854.9875 unless there is a problem with that channel.
Old 01-24-2013, 7:25 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default Is Frederick County going to change to digital?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkey View Post
Trying to use a more distant tower will likely only introduce other issues. If you're trying to focus on Frederick, some in-line attenuation is probably easier to implement. The potential downside would be the impact of the attenuation on being able tune other systems in on your scanner.
Got it. Will tool around with some inline ATT. Thank-you.

www.frederickscanner.com
Old 01-28-2013, 3:51 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I encourage any 996XT users who are trying to receive P25 LSM to try the new firmware. Easy to update and initial results are positive. I haven't made any changes off the basic settings yet. I realize some may have seen the direct post, but figured those following this conversation would appreciate knowing the update is available if they haven't seen it.

http://forums.radioreference.com/uni...available.html
Old 02-08-2013, 9:36 PM

I don't want to seem like a pain, but in your opinion, what would be a good antenna of choice for use with this system? I am considering upgrading from the stock antenna to something else and wanted to get some input on some good choices that are available.

Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 02-09-2013, 6:24 AM
Wiki Admin Emeritus
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

If you read through the posts in this thread, you'll see that too much signal is going to get you nowhere with receiving this system. If you want a better antenna for the home, a yagi that points toward one specific tower might be a worthwhile investment. In the car, assuming that you only want to hear 800 Mhz signals, a cell phone antenna is probably the ticket here. They're mostly broadbanded enough to get stuff in the public service ranges...Mike
Old 02-09-2013, 11:14 AM

Thanks for the advice. The antenna in question is mainly for home use, I actually have a pretty good mobile antenna I purchased from ScannerMaster. It is pre-tuned for the band I need and is made by Laird. I haven't had any issues with it yet.