Mem file compatablity

Status
Not open for further replies.

baydog

I been searching for an ARC898 file for Baltimore/Washington area. It looks like some ARC software works with more than one scanner, ARC 250 for example. Can a mem file from one version of the software be converted to something like a CSV and then imported into another version?

On another matter, I've been hearing a lot of activity on 155.13 lately but can never catch an ID. Sounds more like law enforcement than Fire/EMS

David

TinEar

I can help you with the second question David. The Hyattsville Police Department is the user of 155.13 and uses PL 100.0 on the frequency.

Alan

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Dave while I don't have ARC898, ARC250 does have the ability to export its data to a CSV file. You can grab the freqs from them using a utility built into it, but you would need something like Excel or Works Spreadsheet to copy/paste the rest. I would bet that ARC898 is set up in a similar way.
Exporting to a CSV file would make the data compatible with many different programs, including spreadsheets. 73s Mike

[edit] Actually it seems like it's set up so that you could directly import an ARC898 file into ARC250, since according to the webpage, the layout is the same. Gommert monitors these boards, and I'm sure he'll jump in here to set the record straight.
As a milair scanner, the 898 should be a good one - but for the Baltimore Washington corridor, it's a bit limited, since much of this area uses digital trunking, which the 898 can't handle. Currently, Cecil county is testing an unmonitorable EDACS w/ESK system, but their old conventional is still up. PG county is conventional, AA and Baltimore counties still are (mostly) analog, tho, so if you're interested in hearing those, you'll be set - for now.

Last edited:

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
I use ScanControl for my 898 & 245 (because the same program talks to them both and I don't have to buy software for each and enter the data twice). I've got trunked info for Balto Co, Carroll Co, BGE (which hasn't been worth listening to), and Ocean City along with some conventional frequencies for these same systems and the media. Not sure if that would help you out.
ARC898 is alot slicker since it is custom-made for the radio, but, I like ScanControl for the reasons mentioned earlier, yeah, it's a bit rough in some areas but it does a pretty good job of trying to accommodate many devices.

baydog

Thanks for the info on ARC software as well as other software and the ID of the activity on 155.13. I recently hooked up a Crane coaxial antenna to my old bc3000xlt and I'm know hearing new things.

I got the 898 to replace a RS Pro 2022 that has seen better days.

My main listing interests are AA County Fire/EMS which is not digital (yet), Delaware shore fire/ems which is pretty well simulcast, air and milair, and while I'm in no rush to monitor digital, I do have a BC 396 on my holiday wish list.

Thanks for the info. Back to lurk.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.