Balto Co Inteligibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
For several years I've attempted to listen to Balto Co via my 396xt and 996xt but the under-water audio just doesn't promote continued monitoring.
I have tried a handful of suggestions tossed out by others over the last year or two but no-joy.
If anyone has been able to stumble upon the magic behind-the-scenes/under-the-covers setting tweaks that will make this audio intelligible many of us would appreciate that info.
Thank you.

kuiper

I've been using a yagi for a few weeks with promising results. Windy weather can degrade the signal considerably but most days it's quite good.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
99% of my listening is mobile so, smile, the yagi is out. I don't have the software up in front of me or the config screens but I know there are a number of settings that can be tweaked. I'm just hopeful that some combination would improve things. Being in Carroll, I dread the day we switch over as listening will likely also become less pleasurable. Thanx

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Wow, I thought this would have become an active thread.
Let me ask the same question from a slightly diff angle.
If I or anyone, as a paid member (I'm currently not) would go the the database and download the Baltimore County file, would that download include some of the behind-the-scene settings that might make the 396 and 996 listening more intelligible and less underwater-like?
If so, no problem, I'll rejoin in a heartbeat.
Thanx for your info.

troymail

Silent Key
Wow, I thought this would have become an active thread.
Let me ask the same question from a slightly diff angle.
If I or anyone, as a paid member (I'm currently not) would go the the database and download the Baltimore County file, would that download include some of the behind-the-scene settings that might make the 396 and 996 listening more intelligible and less underwater-like?
If so, no problem, I'll rejoin in a heartbeat.
Thanx for your info.

Nope. Just the frequencies and talkgroups.

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the "next" generation of trunking.. It's called LSM (linear Simulcast Modulation).. All new or newer systems are LSM and the older scanners just wont receive them clearly.. I hear the new unidens give it a heck of a try and do pretty well..

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
So, the very newest boxes that Uniden just released decode the signal but a 996 or 396, no matter what was tweaked will always sound pitiful?

Status
Not open for further replies.