PG County Undocumented Talkgroups

Status
Not open for further replies.

SentinelVT

So I received my BCD536HP this week and started to do an ID Search on PG County's P25 system. As I have been listening there have been a few talkgroup IDs that are not in the RR database. I figured I would post them here and see if anyone else has heard them as well. I do not want to submit frequencies to the database admins when I have little to no knowledge about them myself.

- 2007: Police Tac?
- 1145: FD Training?
- 181: Not sure

With users in this area starting to receive the newer Uniden scanners, has anyone else heard these channels? If so, any ideas?

Last edited:

troymail

Silent Key
So I received my BCD536HP this week and started to do an ID Search on PG County's P25 system. As I have been listening there have been a few talkgroup IDs that are not in the RR database. I figured I would post them here and see if anyone else has heard them as well. I do not want to submit frequencies to the database admins when I have little to no knowledge about them myself.

- 2007: Police Tac?
- 1145: FD Training?
- 181: Not sure

With users in this area starting to receive the newer Uniden scanners, has anyone else heard these channels? If so, any ideas?

I've been hearing alot of new TGs recently also. I agree theat 1145 appears to be PGFD Training. You may want to go ahead and submit that one for the database.

SentinelVT

I've been hearing alot of new TGs recently also. I agree theat 1145 appears to be PGFD Training. You may want to go ahead and submit that one for the database.

Submitted 1145 to the database. I heard a LOT of traffic on the 2007 talkgroup last night. It appeared to be a Drug Enforcement/Surveillance channel of some sort, If that were the case, that TGID does not fit into the general numbering scheme that the system seems to use to separate the departments (Police, Fire, Public Works, etc).

troymail

Silent Key
2007 is one if the TGIDs labeled very early (prior to full activiation of the system if I recall) as FEDEX Field. That range and others appear to be more "special event" talkgroups that are assigned on a case by case basis. I had considered submitting something to change the names of the FEDEX talkgroups but I have no idea what they should be changed to.

I've noticed quite a few additional talkgroups in the 3000 and 6000 range but they didn't sound all that interesting. The 6000's are probably more (school?) bus talkgroups.

289 comes up fairly regularly but it's encrypted so not much we can do with that.

Last edited:

The_B_Chief

Premium Subscriber
At a quick glance it appears that there are a good amount of PGFD talkgroups that are in our radios yet are not in the data base. There are entire zones that are not listed. I don't see Delta, Echo, and most of Foxtrot.

SentinelVT

2007 is one if the TGIDs labeled very early (prior to full activiation of the system if I recall) as FEDEX Field. That range and others appear to be more "special event" talkgroups that are assigned on a case by case basis. I had considered submitting something to change the names of the FEDEX talkgroups but I have no idea what they should be changed to.

I've noticed quite a few additional talkgroups in the 3000 and 6000 range but they didn't sound all that interesting. The 6000's are probably more (school?) bus talkgroups.

289 comes up fairly regularly but it's encrypted so not much we can do with that.

Ahh my bad. I don't have the "interop" channels turned on for the 536HP. I somehow overlooked them in the database.

I will keep an eye out for those other channels.

SentinelVT

At a quick glance it appears that there are a good amount of PGFD talkgroups that are in our radios yet are not in the data base. There are entire zones that are not listed. I don't see Delta, Echo, and most of Foxtrot.

You guys have too many channels! :)

Maybe now that there are a few of us scanning for new talkgroup IDs, they will begin to be identified. Being in North Laurel, I may be to far away to hear the south end of the system (unless they are linked somehow). So, I might not ever hear Delta, Echo, or Foxtrot.

The_B_Chief

Premium Subscriber
You guys have too many channels! :)

I couldn't agree with you more. It's proven to be very confusing and potentially deadly for personnel. There were standards implemented however they are not followed. This is found at all levels. Our communications center has their policies, units in the field have their policies and then there is what actually takes place. The training of personnel at all levels(starting at the top) is less than adequate as well.

The idea was that some specific zones were to be used for specific types of incidents while others were to be used for operations with surrounding jurisdictions. These zones and TG's were to also correspond with specific features of the brand new CAD and mapping system which is being replaced with a NEW new CAD and mapping system.

The complaints by those of us in the field fall on deaf ears anyway. At one time PGFD and PSC set the standard on both operations and tactics. We have now become just another fire department that feels the need to reinvent the wheel for no reason. I was actually told by a member of the management team at PSC(our 911 center) that a reason for a change in the dispatch cadence was because it "sounds cool". If that tells you the mindset that we are now working with. I could go on and on but I'm sure my rant would become tiresome.

So the point here is that we have so many channels basically because we can, not because we need to have so many channels. It's kind of pointless to a point because there is usually only six total fire dispatchers working on a shift. The minimum being four. But hey I'm sure someone got a new Cadillac out of the deal!

I wish I had one of those new digital scanners to help with finding new talkgroups but I think even if I did I wouldn't be able to figure out how to use it. I can't even figure out how to upload new firmware into my PSR400.

If my memory serves me correctly the Special Event Zone I believe is Echo. Delta is our Special Operations Zone and Foxtrot is a fire department admin zone. Foxtrot has various battalion specific and Ops Center TG's. My radios are four time zones away from me right now that's from memory.

Other zones not specific to Prince George's County: We have three DC zones I believe, a handful of MoCo zones, Anne Arundel, two Balto City zones, Calvert, Chuck, Fairfax, Arlingtron, MWAA, RINS, 8TAC, and some other COG system.

The_B_Chief

Premium Subscriber
So I bit the bullet and bought a 536 scanner. I am not sure if there has been any progress with finding new PG county stuff but as soon as I figure this thing out I will be more than willing to help.

Also, there was a PG County/536 thread and it seems to have vanished or been archived. Anyone know where it went?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Chief you might want to jump over to our Uniden forums - the 436 and 536 pretty much dominate some of those sub boards there. No doubt you can get help in learning these radios there..Mike

The_B_Chief

Premium Subscriber
Hey Mike...thanks. I found the thread that you listed when I searched as well. For some reason I thought that there was a PG County specific thread. I guess not.

This radio is great btw. I'm having a lot of fun with it. It's great to hear the police side again.

phillydjdan

Just a word of caution: The admins of this site will add anything, including sensative channels to the database. If you put that info here in the forums, and it gets published, there is a chance the agencies you talk about (if capable) will go to encryption. It took 3 weeks for Philly to do it once the channels were published. Personally, I would not discuss them here, just sayin...

Analogrules

On these bcd436 scanners, do TG's not in the radio reference database still be heard when scanning a system? For example, lets say I program it based on my zip code just to get it up and running and my local County Police happens to add a couple more talkgroups to their frequency system, would I still hear those transmissions? Would the display show the TG, but just unlabled?

Status
Not open for further replies.