RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Maryland Radio Discussion Forum

Maryland Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Maryland.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2014, 10:58 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I agree that many of the items in the database do not reflect how things actually operate in the field. We laugh when we see the Alpha tags in lowercase and using parenthesis. I've never used a radio that the display was in lowercase or that had parenthesis. I'm sure there are some but in my 30 some years I haven't come across any.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:15 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_B_Chief View Post
I agree that many of the items in the database do not reflect how things actually operate in the field. We laugh when we see the Alpha tags in lowercase and using parenthesis. I've never used a radio that the display was in lowercase or that had parenthesis. I'm sure there are some but in my 30 some years I haven't come across any.
But... Is the RadioReference database for your real radios, or for scanner programming?

You can always use an editor with the scanner programming to put everything in CAPS if that is your desire.
Old 08-20-2014, 1:27 PM
Global DB Admin/Senior Mod
Database Admin

Quote:
Here's the relevant section of the Database Admin Handbook on Alpha Tags:

1. Alpha tags are limited to 12 characters to ensure compatibility with older scanners that support only a 12-character alpha tag.
  2. Alpha tags shall be made as clear as possible given the space provided. Alpha tags shall generally indicate the agency and the channel number or usage to the extent that the information is known and can reasonably fit in 12 characters.
  3. Alpha tags shall use a mix of lower and upper case letters (the use of all capital letters shall be avoided).
  4. Alpha tags shall not necessarily be the alpha tag as shown on a radio transceiver

As you can see, your perception that the Alpha Tags in the database need to match the actual radio display is wrong. That's not what the Alpha Tag was ever meant for.

As far as parenthesis and lower case on commercial radios, I think you need to use something newer. Most newer radios support very large character sets and lowercase.

BTW, your post really had nothing to do with discussion that ended back in April. If you wish to continue this discussion, please use the Report Post icon in the upper right of your post and ask that it be moved to the Database Discussion forum. Thanks.

Sorry but I don't accept PM's. Please use email instead.
Old 08-20-2014, 6:57 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Yeah I've switched everything to caps...no sweat. That way it will match my old and outdated APX radios....

I was agreeing that the OC/Worcester should be separated in the DB and comparing that issue with other issues with the DB. I guess I should have been more clear on that.

Didn't mean to get anyone's panties in a bunch.
Old 08-20-2014, 9:06 PM
Global DB Admin/Senior Mod
Database Admin

Quote:
Yeah I've switched everything to caps...no sweat. That way it will match my old and outdated APX radios....

I was agreeing that the OC/Worcester should be separated in the DB and comparing that issue with other issues with the DB. I guess I should have been more clear on that.

No problem.

BTW, my APX's handle lower and uppercase fine.

Sorry but I don't accept PM's. Please use email instead.
Sponsored links
Old 08-26-2014, 7:15 AM

Quote:

I wish there was a like button on these damn forums! Well Said Chief!

Every cloud has a silver lining!!! Except for the mushroom shaped ones, which have a lining of Iridium & Strontium 90.