MSP LAPLATA

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1508J

Has anyone noticed that MSP Laplata on 39.06 mHz has a buzzing sound on it's transmissions? It also occurs on the TRS as well. The noise almost covers the audio transmissions. Is this some form of new technique to mask MSP transmissions?

Did not notice any change in the data base.

TNX:confused:

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone noticed that MSP Laplata on 39.06 mHz has a buzzing sound on it's transmissions? It also occurs on the TRS as well. The noise almost covers the audio transmissions. Is this some form of new technique to mask MSP transmissions?

Did not notice any change in the data base.

TNX:confused:

It's not a new technique to block transmissions - although you could try an audio filter on your side. Most likely a bad ground somewhere.

N1508J

TNX maus92 for the prompt response!

Have not heard the buzzing noise for the last two days on MSP on either scanner.
I think they were testing a new method to render their communications unintelligible which seems to be the trend...even for fire communications.

Will keep an ear out if MSP test again.

Best to you and yours!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
More likely it was a power supply issue - a bad rectifier or a supply not giving enough voltage at high power will cause hums like this - and there are many other possible causes.

If MSP wants to render the comms unreceivable, all they need do is use a cell phone. Putting a hum on a signal 'to mask MSP transmissions' is plain ridiculous

Mike

Kumba

Premium Subscriber
I was noticing this as well. It almost sounded like the old voice inversion that Dahlgren was doing when they were on their analog system, but not quite. My mother's HP-1 wasn't able to read the MSP channels anymore, while my scanner was blasting their messed-up audio through. It did not seem to affect the dispatchers, though, because they'd chat back and forth just fine with the units. FiRST isn't down in this area yet, so the troopers are all still on VHF, so my assumption is it must've been something in the link between their VHF system and Charles' patch TGID.

Is it still going on? I haven't turned the scanner on in the last week or so.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I think he said it was back to normal again.

Anyway, were you hearing this distortion directly from the MSP's VHF channel(s), or from MSP's Charles County TGs?

Kumba

Premium Subscriber
I think he said it was back to normal again.

Anyway, were you hearing this distortion directly from the MSP's VHF channel(s), or from MSP's Charles County TGs?
From their Charles County TG (they only have one). My guess is it's on the VHF system, too, given the OP's post. However, considering the amount of chit-chat I picked up, I don't think the units or the dispatcher was hearing it. I'll have to tune the scanner in later and see if it is still present or not.

N1508J

Now you hear it, now you don't.

Greetings Kumba!

As of the last few days the TRS and VHF MSP freqs do not have the garbled audio I was hearing last week. The garbled speech was on 39.06 mHz as well as the MSP talkgroup. The analog rig as well as the digital rig both displayed the "inversion like" speech so that leaves out the rigs malfunctioning.

I suspect we will be hearing this form of indecipherable transmissions in the future to keep us nasty citizens from listening to first responders activities.:roll:

riveter

Premium Subscriber
I suspect we will be hearing this form of indecipherable transmissions in the future to keep us nasty citizens from listening to first responders activities.:roll:

Still no.

Sorry, just no weight to that conspiracy garbage. And you're still on that horse despite a bunch of people saying it was probably a bad ground or something like that. MSP's not trying to hide Roswell Part II from you or something.

MdListener

Greetings Kumba!

As others have stated, there is no conspiracy here. I guarantee you that MSP is putting no money into infrastructure improvements (such as encryption) on the lowband radio system - they are just trying to maintain it until the 700 FiRST system is up statewide. What you're hearing is simply a (perhaps) intermittent problem.

badlans

Premium Subscriber
Yep. Used to do it all the time ;-) It's just expensive, and I'm not even sure who makes the gear anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.