Tape of AirFlorida Crash 1981

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterSz

http://groups.google.com/group/firerad2/attach/2e55170203043fe3/Snippet22.ogg?part=4&hl=en

(That is a message posted to the "firerad2" group at Googlegroups.com)

Hopefully that URL will take you directly to the fire radio traffic that I recorded in 1981 when the AirFlorida jet crashed into the Potomac River next to National Airport - Washington DC / Alexandra VA / Arlington VA.

Winamp should play the file - it is approx 1 MB in size. I digitized with the lowest settings - 8K / 8K I think.

I taped the traffic from a Regency TK16 IIRC - I was in College Park Maryland at the time - about 15 miles away. You can hear DC FD 154.19R, Alexandria FD 154.43R, Arlington FD 154.13R, and Prince Georges County FD. (I do some play by play on the tape)

The tape starts with a minor school bus crash on the Anne Arundel / PG County border. (PG Station 40).

I have about 5 minutes more to digitize - if the tape dont break. If anyone has any suggestions regarding a better way of making tapes like this available on the net, please drop me a note. I have lots more tapes - mostly the Bostonn MA area. I think that 1977 might be my earliest tape.

Peter Sz

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Looks like you have to join the group to hear it (which I don't reall wanna do).
Do you have this available another way ?
Remember the day very well, I think the bystander that dove into the water to help
with the rescuing was named something like Lenny Skutnick(sp?), Brrrrr, get chills just
thinking about that frigid water on that snowy day.
Thanx.

PeterSz

Try using this URL. Peter Sz

http://groups.google.com/group/firerad2

Looking at the list settings, "anyone" should be able to view the archives.

(Lenny Skudnick - I think that was his name - President Reagan honored him at a State of the Union speech I think)

If that link doesnt work - I can probably Email the file directly to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.