Camden Yards direction on 484 MHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spleen

Premium Subscriber
I stumbled across what is obviously one of the camera and big screen director's feeds on 484.4 MHz. I'm assuming this is an image, but I have no idea what the actual frequency might be. They're talking about putting up the 1000 win display, so I'm guessing this isn't a crew from San Diego. Any guesses on whether this is a bootleg op or what the true frequency might be? WFM, mono, about 100khz wide.

Dean

marksmith

Try 450.0375 - 450.5625 range and see if you get it there. You are right 484 would be an image.
If this is broadcast TV should be in that range.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

Spleen

Premium Subscriber
Nothing but the usual IFBs there. And they would be FMN.

I assumed it was an image because I was using a Nooelec dongle and had the gain up almost to the 40s. With the gain down in the 20s I almost missed it--the display hinted broadcast FM but the bandwidth looked a little skinny, so I upped the gain and brought them in pretty clearly.

Here's a couple minutes of recording: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4fuvskg33cjolig/21-16-02 Unknown 484.400 MHz.wav?dl=0

Try 450.0375 - 450.5625 range and see if you get it there. You are right 484 would be an image.
If this is broadcast TV should be in that range.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
I stumbled across what is obviously one of the camera and big screen director's feeds on 484.4 MHz. I'm assuming this is an image, but I have no idea what the actual frequency might be. They're talking about putting up the 1000 win display, so I'm guessing this isn't a crew from San Diego. Any guesses on whether this is a bootleg op or what the true frequency might be? WFM, mono, about 100khz wide.

Dean

Or a wireless mic?
See https://www.fcc.gov/general/wireless-microphones-0

ecps92

Many Large events across the country use the T-Band for the IFB Networks of the Camera Crews, especially Sporting Events.

For years a Company got an STA from the FCC for the un-used Part 90 portion of T-Band for the Boston Marathon. I've seen this band also used for major Golf Tournaments as well as NFL in Foxboro.

Some will show PL/DPL, but most are CSQ - what tone did you get ?

They are also NFM

The Set-up varies by Network, you might have found your local FEED or if the Visitors, you might be waiting a long time to hear it again

Dean

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
I don't understand the technical's, but I would take the image frequency and subtract 21.4 or 21.7 to find the correct frequency for the images I used to see. I believe the number depended on scanner manufacturer. Most of the times, I found the image was more clear than the actual frequency.

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
Spleen, I would say that your 484.4 MHz wide band is probably correct. Most of these professional wireless intercom systems use frequencies in the UHF TV band, not the regular land-mobile bands. Many are FCC Part 15 devices, but a lot are actually a few watts and are licensed (or should be). They use wide band modulation to enhance fidelity, which is important to users of these systems.

They are not in the 450-451 and 455-456 band reserved for broadcast remote pickup because the users are mostly not in the broadcasting business themselves. If this is indeed the big screen cameras and director, they would be most likely working for stadium management or the home team. Many stadiums now are running fixed and wireless cameras that just feed the big screens.

Just FYI, the latest generation of pro wireless intercom systems are using some sort of digital format over 2.4 GHz wi-fi. Wireless mics are also going digital and offer encryption, but they continue to use the UHF TV bands...

Last edited:

Spleen

Premium Subscriber
Spleen, I would say that your 484.4 MHz wide band is probably correct. Most of these professional wireless intercom systems use frequencies in the UHF TV band, not the regular land-mobile bands. Many are FCC Part 15 devices, but a lot are actually a few watts and are licensed (or should be). They use wide band modulation to enhance fidelity, which is important to users of these systems.

Interesting. Yeah, it was pretty good quality. And you could hear everyone with a headset on this system like they were sitting in a studio with one mike.

They are not in the 450-451 and 455-456 band reserved for broadcast remote pickup because the users are mostly not in the broadcasting business themselves. If this is indeed the big screen cameras and director, they would be most likely working for stadium management or the home team. Many stadiums now are running fixed and wireless cameras that just feed the big screens.

Definitely locals. What sounded like the director was definitely a local guy. And about my age...they were talking about seeing shows at a popular local concert spot that's been closed for decades.

Just FYI, the latest generation of pro wireless intercom systems are using some sort of digital format over 2.4 GHz wi-fi. Wireless mics are also going digital and offer encryption, but they continue to use the UHF TV bands...

Yeah, sooner or later, no more listening to the local church services on 72 MHz...

Spleen

Premium Subscriber
Definitely not a fluke. They're gearing up now for tonight's game. The producer is telling an announcer how to pronounce the names of the people who are the "Heavy Hitters'. Some sort of union get-together.

ecps92

You never know what you will find out there, outside the Normal bands. :cool:
Definitely not a fluke. They're gearing up now for tonight's game. The producer is telling an announcer how to pronounce the names of the people who are the "Heavy Hitters'. Some sort of union get-together.

marksmith

I take it we are talking about a low power 2-3 watt system that can be heard within the park confines, but quickly is lost outside the park?

I have to mark this one down for future reference.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Spleen

Premium Subscriber
I'm almost a mile and a half north of Camden Yards, with a roof-mounted discone using a Nooelec dongle. I have to put the gain into the 40s to get a decent signal, but it's there.

I haven't been to a game yet this season, but I'm definitely taking a scanner with me next time.

I take it we are talking about a low power 2-3 watt system that can be heard within the park confines, but quickly is lost outside the park?

troymail

Silent Key
I haven't been to a game yet this season, but I'm definitely taking a scanner with me next time.

Speaking of which -- does anyone know the Orioles or MLB's position on taking a scanner into the park? Probably wasn't a big deal in the past to get it in but now that they have metal detectors.... Would be nice to know there's no restriction and we wouldn't need to hide it (too much).

D

darunimal

I just turn it to the pregame FM broadcast and keep it turned on with a mid volume, through the gates, no problems, so far, knock on wood. Since it's receive only, a lot less problematic than a cell phone could be. It also allows you to known what might be happening on the field if something happens and isn't readily apparent to the fans inside the stadium

Last edited:

Spleen

Premium Subscriber
Even smaller, one of those little Chinese radios. It would detect as a set of car keys.

Spleen

Premium Subscriber
I was able to test with a Nooelec dongle with stock antenna from a tall building downtown (inside). Even with all the noise and metal, I can still pick them up. I bet I could get it almost crystal clear if I hooked it up to a mag-mount or anything but the stock antenna. I don't see why a scanner that can pick up that range or even a little Chinese radio wouldn't do very well inside and just outside of the park. The only problem would be the 100 Khz bandwidth...

Status
Not open for further replies.