Need to Purchase New Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

QACMD

I need to upgrade my scanner to be able to scan Queen Anne's, Kent, Talbot, and Caroline Counties in Maryland. Would like any suggestions. I currently have a HP 1 and have had it few a few years. Wounder if the HP 2 is the way to go or is there anything better out there now?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
These days with Phase 2 and FiRST being all the rage, a P2 capable scanner is a must. The HP2 falls into that category, as do many other scanners. A list of them can be found here...

APCO Project 25 - The RadioReference Wiki

I'll let others comment on how well their scanner works, as it's often environment dependent..Mike

QACMD

These days with Phase 2 and FiRST being all the rage, a P2 capable scanner is a must. The HP2 falls into that category, as do many other scanners. A list of them can be found here...

APCO Project 25 - The RadioReference Wiki

I'll let others comment on how well their scanner works, as it's often environment dependent..Mike

Thank you for the information. I will wait to hopefully hear from some other members before making a purchase. Thanks again.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
If you like the HP-1, you will like the HP-2. It works fine on the FiRST system in the areas you mention (it works fine in other areas too.) The Uniden 996P2 also works well if you need more audio power - not sure where you using it. It's a little cheaper as well.

boatbod

I'm using an old GRE PSR800 with the phase 2 firmware upgrade. Works ok. For idle curiosity I can also pull up FiRST using a cheap RTLSDR device running OP25 software. It's a but fussy to configure, but the price is most definitely right at $35 + laptop vs $500 for a dedicated scanner.

QACMD

Which one of the two do you think would be the best? Ease of operation, able to hear all public agencies (fire, police, state highway, transit, ect.) and dependable.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Which one of the two do you think would be the best? Ease of operation, able to hear all public agencies (fire, police, state highway, transit, ect.) and dependable.

I'm not sure if the question was meant for me, but for ease of use, the HP-2 wins. I have it more or less permanently installed in my Jeep, and use a 700/800 window antenna from Scannermaster. All the services you mention are carried on FiRST, and this scanner works well on that system. It also works fine with the neighboring Delaware TRS and the old UMES TRS which is being replaced by FiRST.

I don't have a 536 (but I do have the portable version, the 436), but unless you really want some of its advanced features, you don't need it - it is overkill for a casual listener.

QACMD

Thank you to everyone for all the information. I am going to purchase the HP 2 later today. Are there any accessories that I should purchase? Just being used for general listen of local Fire, EMS, Police, and SHA.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Thank you to everyone for all the information. I am going to purchase the HP 2 later today. Are there any accessories that I should purchase? Just being used for general listen of local Fire, EMS, Police, and SHA.

You'll be happy with it. There really isn't anything else to buy, unless you want to mount it in a vehicle. Uniden makes a snap in bracket that I use, and ScannerMaster sells an on-glass antenna that works well. What you should avoid is a high-gain external antenna. The one that comes with the unit is adequate for the most part, and I've already mentioned the on-glass option for vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.