Metro Boston 700mhz Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

gordon115

The state has a number of licenses now including WQFN732, WQFN733, WQLA460 and WPTZ789.

If they were going to build a TRS it would most likely be using the frequency range listed on WPTZ789 as the others all appear to be low power. Interesting that they list a range of frequencies rather than specific frequencies and sites like they do in other bands.

Many of the current generation 800mhz mobiles and portables are 700mhz capable which would make building a 700 system relatively cost effective.

Gordon

Last edited:

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
This Project 25 simulcast system has been in the works for the past four years. It will be part of the new Massachusetts State Police Project 25 TRS. This system is currently serving the city of Cambridge, and MSP Troop B out in the Berkshires.

From what I understand, the Metro Boston 700 MHz Project 25 cell, was originally supposed to cover everything along and within State Route 128. However, there was talk about expanding it outward to I-495 at one time. It will be very interesting to see just how expansive this radio system will be once it goes online. Likewise, if it will be more than one simulcast cell when completed.

73's

Ron

Last edited:

Lynch_Christopher

Database Admin
It would be interesting to see if Massport joins the future statewide system since that would free up a additional 18 800 MHz channels.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
I still dont see the point of 700 Mhz in eastern Mass. Of course I dont see much sense for 800 either considering all the UHF in use.

jmorrissey23

Premium Subscriber
I still dont see the point of 700 Mhz in eastern Mass. Of course I dont see much sense for 800 either considering all the UHF in use.

The point of the system is to replace the UHF T-Band channels. In case you don't know in 8 years all frequencies in the 470-506 MHz must be abandon and relocated to the 700/800 MHz band

ecps92

INCORRECT

The 700 Over-lay is to enhance the 800 coverage

T-Band users DO NOT have to move to 700/800

The point of the system is to replace the UHF T-Band channels. In case you don't know in 8 years all frequencies in the 470-506 MHz must be abandon and relocated to the 700/800 MHz band

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
The state has a number of licenses now including WQFN732, WQFN733, WQLA460 and WPTZ789.

If they were going to build a TRS it would most likely be using the frequency range listed on WPTZ789 as the others all appear to be low power. Interesting that they list a range of frequencies rather than specific frequencies and sites like they do in other bands.

The 700 MHz state licenses are all like that. The FCC sets aside a specific 2.4 MHz of assorted channels for State use in 700...and those are the ones authorized to the State to use as they see fit. No further site licenses are required in those sate channels.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Bill is correct and my previous speculation was inaccurate. There is also an interoperability component to the 700 overlay.

INCORRECT

The 700 Over-lay is to enhance the 800 coverage

T-Band users DO NOT have to move to 700/800

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator

I seem to recall reading an article that came out about a week or two after it was announced that the UHF-T Band would have to be vacated, which made mention of this idea. In that report, it stated that financial assistance would be available to help procure new radio equipment for municipalities and counties, wishing to be relocated to the 700/800 MHz band. This funding would come in the form of federal grant money that would distributed to help defer the costs, and could be underwritten with the help of wireless communications companies that wish to occupy the UHF T-Band area. The whole idea was to create another program just like the "Nextel Rebanding Project," which has been a PITA for some states. Apparently, this concept was an idea generated by a congressman from some state out west that supported the takeaway of the frequency spectrum above 470 MHz from land mobile radio users, and using that spectrum for future wireless communication devices.

73's

Ron

Last edited:
Stuck in the mud

Imagine if something crazy happened like the current T-Band users transitioned over to the current MSP 800 TG's and MSP went all 700 ?. . . . . . . . unfourtunatly we will most likely keep our 40 year-old UHF systems until someone finally prys them away from us kicking & screaming

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
Taking a big picture look at this, I guess you would have to first decide how much spectrum you want to give to the military and federal government. Then you would decide where (in the radio spectrum) to put the TV stations and cellphones. Then you would squeeze public safety and businesses into the mix somewhere.

Who knows - maybe over the air TV will be totally dead in 10 years. That would free up a few Mhz of radio spectrum.

ecps92

Crazy ? Nope. Anything is possible and as Scannists many of our comments are just speculation, until the powers-to-be begin a roll-out and then...might be hard to tell especially if simulcast on both systems. T-Band going away ? :D

Imagine if something crazy happened like the current T-Band users transitioned over to the current MSP 800 TG's and MSP went all 700 ?. . . . . . . . unfourtunatly we will most likely keep our 40 year-old UHF systems until someone finally prys them away from us kicking & screaming

911_Radioman

Boston 700 MHz P25 Overlay system

Jim,

I have recent experience as the 'owner's project manager' for the City of Boston's 700 MHz P25 'Overlay' system, and will share with you what I know but not publicly; not yet anyway.

Find me on Linked IN.

Steve

911_Radioman

The 700 MHz Phase 2 Lie

There is no Phase 2 - nor is there likely to ever be Phase 2.

They've 'combined' channels in such a way to operate Phase 1...probably for the next 11 years, if the 'powers-that-be' have their way.

Ignore the posts related to 'nudity and profanity' on TV...more 'Moto-misdirection'...

The actual substance of 13-87 is a solicitation seeking comment on an 8-year extension of the 2016 deadline to operate P25 Phase 2...so MOTO can continue to sell 20 year old technology for another 11 years.

Proceeding 13-87

Check the 'trackbacks'...the Commission had a nice, concise summary of what they were proposing in one paragraph...now, they're obscuring it with an embedded PDF so no one will read it.

Last edited:

jmorrissey23

Premium Subscriber
Online as of at least yesterday
SYS ID: D14
WACN: BEE00
Site: 002-002

Control 744.58125

So far it is just rebroadcasting talkgroups from the State 800 system Zone 1 and 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.