Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffbridge

Can someone recommend a good, starter portable scanner that works well in Plymouth County. I had problems before with a Uniden and issues with programming. Also, how do I find or obtain digital frequencies where a local police has moved off of analog?

Thanks for your help.

troymail

Silent Key
Can someone recommend a good, starter portable scanner that works well in Plymouth County. I had problems before with a Uniden and issues with programming. Also, how do I find or obtain digital frequencies where a local police has moved off of analog?

Thanks for your help.

Depends a bit on what you want to listen to.

From the listings found here in the RRDB:
Plymouth County, Massachusetts (MA) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

For local county activity - which at this time seems mostly to be conventional analog, you can probably get away fairly cheaply with a very low end scanner like a Uniden BC75XLT or Whislter 1010. Note that these radio won't handled trunked radio systems which is what your state police use.

If you're looking for a trunked radio scanner, there are quite a range of options also and it may come down to how much you want to spend. The prices for analog handhleds appears to be running between $250 and $500+.

N1BHH

The P-25 system doesn't cover Plymouth County at all. The only P-25 in use is rarely used conventional by a couple PD's, so your best deal, if you want to include State Police is just about any current radio with trunking capability, don't discount MSP, you're only going to hear a small number of talk groups.

Pro-652, 197, 106, 651 are among current and recent (still available) models that will give you what you're looking for, and Whistler has a few models, too.

The latest up to date frequencies are here:
Southeastern MA Portal - Scan New England Wiki

jeffbridge

I should clarify. I want to listen primarily to Bridgewater Police which is all digital as Bridgewater Fire and BSU, etc. Everything local essentially.

Honestly,PSR500s/PRO106s can be obtained for 200-250-300USD...New in many cases..

It pays to go digital upfront so When an agency go's P25 its a
programming update rather than a radio upgrade..

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
I should clarify. I want to listen primarily to Bridgewater Police which is all digital as Bridgewater Fire and BSU, etc. Everything local essentially.

Bridgewater Public Safety is analog, not digital. If that is your primary monitoring interests then any analog conventional scanner will suffice.

jeffbridge

Bridgewater Public Safety is analog, not digital. If that is your primary monitoring interests then any analog conventional scanner will suffice.

I'm confused. I am using an anlaog scanner to listed to Bridgewater Police, the freq is inputted as listed on many sites including this one, but I don't get a thing. I can hear ham operators in the 147.xx range but no police or fire at all. Any ideas?

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
Bridgewater PD - 484.7875 PL tone 203.5.

Please confirm this is what you have programmed, then we can figure out what's going on.

Last edited:

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
Have you tried any other surrounding town frequencies to verify you are receiving anything?

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
I can usually receive Bridgewater PD from my location, monitoring now to verify.

jeffbridge

Ya, may have to get a new scanner. Can't understand for the life of why this one doesn't work anymore. Thanks for your help.

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
One advantage to getting a trunk tracking scanner is that it gives you more options should your interests increase. Plus, they will allow you to program in the PL tones for conventional analog channels so that you are assured of only hearing the departments you want to, and not some other agency that may use the same channel with a different PL tone. Your current scanner doesn't know the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.